• 51 results
Adne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Adne

I have a Quilava of level 77, almost level 78, that I love and adore, but I heard that not letting him evolve is bad for him and will make/keep him weak. now my big problem is is that I do love my Quilava, but not it's evolution and I'm afraid that I'll start hating him, and with him the game. what should I do and are there any serious consequences if I dont let him evolve before level 80?

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ChristianCastillo

dude it's just a pokemon and if you like the way he looks now then don't let him involve, believe me nothing bad will happen.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DeeGee

No real consequences, unless you're into tournaments and all that professional stuff. At that level, the stat boosts are really not important since there are so few Pokemon around that level to pose a serious threat.

But yes, evolving it will knock the stats up. If your Quilava is doing fine and you don't particularly feel it's weak, then keep it : D

Adne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adne
@ChristianCastillo:  really, because one of my friends plays pokemon from the start and he told me that if I dont let them evolve they'll be weak, and I dont want that because I still want to win.
Adne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adne
@DeeGee:  well I am new to the world of pokemon, also the reason why I'm asking those stupid questions in the first place,  so I dont think I'll be into the tournaments soon. XD

but thank you so much for your reply! I can now play Soulsilver again! :D
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Example1013
@Adne: Short answer, no it doesn't hurt. He'll be weaker for a little while, but overall strength will be the same after a certain time. 

I put a spoiler warning on that because the long answer gets into the under-the-hood mechanics of how the game works. Some people don't want to know all that, because it breaks immersion for them. So if you don't want to get into the technical details of why it doesn't matter all that much, don't click on the spoiler warning. I don't want to spoil the game for you. 

And if you DO click the spoiler warning and want to know more, probably PM me so no one else gets bent out of shape?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By KarlPilkington

STOP EVOLUTION, BECOME GOD

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman

I always just evolve my pokemon. Sometimes I like how they look when they're smaller, but most of the time they're way cooler after evolution.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Example1013
@JJWeatherman: Most pokemon I evolve right away, but I tend to wait on Larvitar and Dratini until I have all their moves, because it would otherwise take SO FUCKING LONG to get them high enough. Yeah, I miss Wing Attack on Dragonite, but honestly, with Aerial Ace and Fly as good as they are, I don't really need it.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
@example1013 said:
" @JJWeatherman: Most pokemon I evolve right away, but I tend to wait on Larvitar and Dratini until I have all their moves, because it would otherwise take SO FUCKING LONG to get them high enough. Yeah, I miss Wing Attack on Dragonite, but honestly, with Aerial Ace and Fly as good as they are, I don't really need it. "
You're totally right. I forget about moves that take longer every time I play. They're super annoying.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aronman789

I got into the EVs and stat bonuses and it just made the game feel like a chore, so I said fuck it and started enjoying it again, with that said, my advice is to just play for fun.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Example1013
@JJWeatherman said:
" @example1013 said:
" @JJWeatherman: Most pokemon I evolve right away, but I tend to wait on Larvitar and Dratini until I have all their moves, because it would otherwise take SO FUCKING LONG to get them high enough. Yeah, I miss Wing Attack on Dragonite, but honestly, with Aerial Ace and Fly as good as they are, I don't really need it. "
You're totally right. I forget about moves that take longer every time I play. They're super annoying. "
It's only gotten worse, too. Feraligatr used to learn Hydro Pump at level 58, and now learns it at level 76. 76!!!! I mean, I don't care myself, since Feraligatr has high attack, and thus benefits much more from Waterfall than any sp. attack move, but still. 

And actually they kinda screwed over a bunch of pokemon with the change of damage types they made. Now that Hyper Beam is sp. attack, all of a sudden the move is obviated for tons of pokemon, while Giga Impact, which would be useful, is left as pretty much the single most annoying TM to get in the game, because you have to get 15,000 coins at FUCKING VOLTORB FLIP, and you CAN'T BUY THEM ANYMORE. Luckily, it's purchasable for straight-up cash in Black/White. Unluckily, I don't think you can trade backwards from Black/White.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@example1013 said:
" @Adne: Short answer, no it doesn't hurt. He'll be weaker for a little while, but overall strength will be the same after a certain time. 

I put a spoiler warning on that because the long answer gets into the under-the-hood mechanics of how the game works. Some people don't want to know all that, because it breaks immersion for them. So if you don't want to get into the technical details of why it doesn't matter all that much, don't click on the spoiler warning. I don't want to spoil the game for you. 

And if you DO click the spoiler warning and want to know more, probably PM me so no one else gets bent out of shape?

"
Also, evolutions have higher base stats than their precedents.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Example1013
@HaltIamReptar: Yes, that's true. I sorta skimmed the first post. Oops! 

Anyways, it's not that important at this point regardless. If you don't want a Typhlosion, don't get one. As an aside, some research into what I posted in the spoiler can get a Quilava almost as powerful as some typhlosion, although I'm guessing you're (the OP) not all that interested.
Adne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adne
@example1013:  not really, I just want to play the game ^^;
1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 1nfinitum

I ask you this: did Ash ever let Pikachu evolve?  No, and that's because he was a selfish dick, don't be like Ash, let your Pokemans grow.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Bones8677
@1nfinitum said:
" I ask you this: did Ash ever let Pikachu evolve?  No, and that's because he was a selfish dick, don't be like Ash, let your Pokemans grow. "
Yeah this.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aus_azn

Unless you're trying to play competitively, don't bother.

I left my Bayleef as a Bayleef because I hate Meganium's look. Best Pokemon-related decision ever.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Afroman269
@Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
" I ask you this: did Ash ever let Pikachu evolve?  No, and that's because he was a selfish dick, don't be like Ash, let your Pokemans grow. "
Yeah this. "
I so want to hit that Pikachu with a thunderstone when Ash's back is turned.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Example1013
@Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "
I so want to hit that Pikachu with a thunderstone when Ash's back is turned. "
He'd probably just hit B when he turned back around, and you'd be out 4500 units. 

@Aronman789: It's true that going into IVs and such makes it a real chore, which is why I just focus on EVs. I'm going to end up wasting a ton of time grinding for levels anyways, so why not do it against foes that best suit the stats I want? 

That said, it can get annoying. If you really just want to enjoy the game, don't click on my spoiler, and never google EV or IV. Unfortunately I'm a lost cause because I'm sort of obsessive over that stuff. 

As a side note, if anyone ever gets a black Charmander, well, I'm not saying I will prostitute myself, but I'm saying that if one were to be received, I would give sexual favors for totally unrelated reasons.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn
@example1013 said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "
He'd probably just hit B when he turned back around, and you'd be out 4500 units. 

"
You can't "B" your way out of stone evolutions, IIRC.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269
@Aus_azn said:
" @example1013 said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "

"
You can't "B" your way out of stone evolutions, IIRC. "
Good thing I rolled through the Elite Four a couple times so I was able to afford a bag of thunderstones to smack that Pikachu across the face with in case I missed.
SkinnyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By SkinnyBlue

No Caption Provided

I hope this has helped.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Example1013
@Aus_azn: I thought you could. I may have done it, but then again it could be that I just assumed you could, and never tried it. 

@Afroman269: You're on top of things! Good show!
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By sameeeeam
@example1013 said:
As a side note, if anyone ever gets a black Charmander, well, I'm not saying I will prostitute myself, but I'm saying that if one were to be received, I would give sexual favors for totally unrelated reasons. "
YOU CAN FIND BLACK CHARMANDERS?
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By neoepoch

Think of it this way. A level 100 Typhlosion will ALWAYS be stronger than a level 100 Quilava, because its base stats are just higher in general. Now yes EVs and IVs are important, but in terms of overall Base stats Typhlosion is stronger by a mile.

HP/ ATK/ DEF/ S.ATK/ S.DEF/ SPE
Quilava's Base:  58/ 64/ 58/ 80/ 65/ 80
Typhlosion's:      78/ 84/ 78/ 109/ 85/ 100

So let's look at S.ATK.

At Max IVs and EVs and Nature, Typhlosion will have a S. ATK of 348, while Quilava will only have 284. So, if you want to use him in wi-fi battles it'd be advisable to evolve him. If you just want to keep using it in-game, it doesn't matter. So it just depends on what you use him for anyway. Besides if he is at level 80, his EVs have probably already been set already. So, it probably doesn't matter at this point. If you want a competitive battler, just breed it and make a Cyndaquil and raise it for competition. If you don't care about competitive wi-fi it doesn't matter.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sgjackson
@Underachiever007: 
Yeah, every Pokemon has an alternate color scheme called a shiny. Has a completely random 1/8192 chance in happening. Charmander and Charmeleon are gold, though - they don't turn black until they evolve into Charizard.

@example1013: 
To be perfectly honest dude, outside of getting super into doing the Battle Tower you really don't need to worry about EVs or IVs. I'd focus on making sure your nature's not awful (pretty much anything which doesn't lower your primary attacking stat or speed is probably ok for in-game purposes) for whatever your favorites are, then making sure you have plenty of healing for the only tough fights in the game, which is the E4 and any of the secret post-game bosses which are avaliable. This can pretty much be accomplished by catching a handful of whatever you're thinking about using and just picking the best one.

This is disregarding the competitive scene, which is a completely different monster and if I wanted to get into that I'd use an online simulator.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Example1013
@Underachiever007: Sorry, I misspoke. Shiny Charmander and Charmeleon are gold. Shiny Charizard is black. 

These are the sprites from HG/SS for proof: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So yeah, if anyone finds a gold Charmander, my offer stands.
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sameeeeam
@example1013: I've seen the gold one before. That save's corrupted now, though.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Daveyo520

You can't baby it forever, you need to let it grow up and learn new things.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By awesomeusername
@Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "
What're you guys talking about!?! In the first season when Pikachu couldn't beat Lt. Surge's Raichu, Ash offered Pikachu a thunderstone and he slapped it out of his hand! Pikachus the one that doesn't want to evolve!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Example1013
@Underachiever007: Srsly? The odds of that are about 1 in 8000 or 9000, which means I'm probably never going to get one. Too bad the file's corrupted, that thing would be super-cool.
Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gilsham
@awesomeusername said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "
What're you guys talking about!?! In the first season when Pikachu couldn't beat Lt. Surge's Raichu, Ash offered Pikachu a thunderstone and he slapped it out of his hand! Pikachus the one that doesn't want to evolve! "
this
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By awesomeusername
@gilsham said:
" @awesomeusername said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "
What're you guys talking about!?! In the first season when Pikachu couldn't beat Lt. Surge's Raichu, Ash offered Pikachu a thunderstone and he slapped it out of his hand! Pikachus the one that doesn't want to evolve! "
this "
"This" as in I'm right? Right?
Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gilsham
@awesomeusername: indeed sir, I was think it the whole thread and would have posted as such if you had not
lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lordbazuco
@example1013: Black Charizard is the shit. My friend has one, but then again my friend might not have obtained it through legal means
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Example1013
@lordbazuco: As long as it wouldn't corrupt my save, I wouldn't care if I got one that was obtained through...extralegal means. Obviously I wouldn't want to do nefarious dealings on my own precious cartridges, but...I'd ask no questions in a trade for something that rare.
lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lordbazuco
@example1013: If I could ever figure out how to trade through wifi and friend codes and whatever, I could probably set you up with one. But Nintendo's online stuff is beyond me. 
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Afroman269
@awesomeusername
@gilsham said:
" @awesomeusername said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @1nfinitum said:
Yeah this. "
this "
"This" as in I'm right? Right?
Just because that rat doesn't want to evolve, doesn't mean you can't force. I would like to see Pikachu try to 'b' button his way out of that one.
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By awesomeusername
@gilsham said:
" @awesomeusername: indeed sir, I was think it the whole thread and would have posted as such if you had not "
Why, thank us for our genius kind sir. Harty har har. 

@Afroman269 said:

Just because that rat doesn't want to evolve, doesn't mean you can't force. I would like to see Pikachu try to 'b' button his way out of that one. "
But you're suppose to love and care for your Pokemon and allow them to evolve if it agrees! You'd be a horrible Pokemon trainer.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Afroman269
@awesomeusername That's only what pussies do, that anime lies about care and love being important, level grinding along with evolving is key.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Meltac

Evolve that shit, they always look way cooler afterwards.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By awesomeusername
@Afroman269 said:
" @awesomeusername That's only what pussies do, that anime lies about care and love being important, level grinding along with evolving is key. "
But some Pokemon require love to evolve them! Buneary, Togepi, Pichu, etc.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Afroman269
@awesomeusername
@Afroman269 said:
" @awesomeusername That's only what pussies do, that anime lies about care and love being important, level grinding along with evolving is key. "
lol, shit. I just toss their ass into a daycare.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Example1013
@lordbazuco: I think how it works is, once you give someone your friend code and they give you yours, you can then go to the wi-fi center downstairs at pokecenters, and if you both go to the same room through wireless, you can connect. I haven't tried it, though, because I can't get a reliable signal from my dorm room, and for some reason the DS just will not accept internet if I try to ad hoc it through the wireless card in my computer (using wired internet to connect).  

@Afroman269: Does day care actually increase friendship? I just evolved togepi by putting it at the front of my party and battling with it. Not like that was a bad choice, since it learned Extrasensory at like lvl 8, giving it the most powerful move in my arsenal at the time. For Golbat I also just ran with it at the top and ground out levels with it until it evolved. Golbat (and Crobat) are hella strong anyways, so it's not like I lost out. 
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By awesomeusername
@Afroman269 said:
" @awesomeusername
@Afroman269 said:
lol, shit. I just toss their ass into a daycare. "
They don't love you if you put them in the day care! You must love and tend to them! Lmao.
1nfinitum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By 1nfinitum
@awesomeusername:  That's true, and I saw that episode.  My memory may be a little faulty since I haven't seen it since I was about 7 or 8 but if I recall correctly, Ash only offered Pikachu the stone because he was getting beaten up badly (and strangely enough lying in a hospital bed).  Ash could easily have forced him to evolve at that moment, but he didn't because he's an idiot.

DON'T LET YOUR KIDS BE LIKE ASH.  EVOLVE YOUR POKEMANS TODAY.
Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
@Afroman269 said:
" @awesomeusername
@Afroman269 said:
lol, shit. I just toss their ass into a daycare. "
You are the best Pokemon Trainer ever. 
Conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Conker

ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHARIZARD FOOLS

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By awesomeusername
@1nfinitum said:
" @awesomeusername:  That's true, and I saw that episode.  My memory may be a little faulty since I haven't seen it since I was about 7 or 8 but if I recall correctly, Ash only offered Pikachu the stone because he was getting beaten up badly (and strangely enough lying in a hospital bed).  Ash could easily have forced him to evolve at that moment, but he didn't because he's an idiot.  DON'T LET YOUR KIDS BE LIKE ASH.  EVOLVE YOUR POKEMANS TODAY. "
Yeah, he got powned by the 3rd gym leaders Raichu so he offfered him it.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.