Pokémon Puzzle League is a Pokémon-themed version of the Super Nintendo game Panel de Pon, also known as Tetris Attack in North America. It was originally developed as Panel de Pon 64, a direct sequel to Panel de Pon, before being canceled in development and reworked as a Pokémon game. The game was originally released for the Nintendo 64, and was later re-released as a Virtual Console title on the Nintendo Wii. The game can be played in standard 2D mode or a 3D mode in which the player can rotate the field. As in Tetris Attack, the goal of the game is to clear blocks from the field by lining up three or more blocks of the same color horizontally or vertically. The game includes several modes of play including a single-player vs. mode against the CPU, a two-player versus mode, and challenge modes including a time attack, puzzle mode, and line-clearing mode.
Pokémon Puzzle League is unique among Pokémon games in that it is one of the very few games to use characters originally created for the Pokémon anime series as opposed to the characters actually featured in the games. It also features art and brief animated cinematics from the anime, as well as voice acting from the anime series' English cast.
The game features fifteen characters that appear in the anime. They all use three Pokémon each.
- Ash Ketchum - Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur
- Misty - Horsea, Psyduck, Staryu
- Brock - Geodude, Vulpix, Zubat
- Tracey Sketchit - Marill, Venonat, Scyther
- Team Rocket ( Jessie, James, and Meowth) - Weezing, Arbok, Golbat
- Gary Oak - Nidoran, Growlithe, Krabby
- Giovanni - Persian, Sandslash, Nidoking
- Ritchie - Sparky ( Pikachu), Zippo ( Charmander), Happy ( Butterfree)
- Bruno - Onix, Hitmonchan, Primeape
- Erika - Tangela, Weepinbell, Gloom
- Sabrina - Abra, Hypno, Alakazam
- Blaine - Arcanine, Charmeleon, Magmar
- Lt. Surge - Raichu, Jolteon, Magneton
- Koga - Venomoth, Voltorb, Golbat
- Lorelei - Cloyster, Poliwhirl, Dewgong
The final boss, unplayable without the use of a cheat code, is Mewtwo. He uses clone versions of Ash's Pokémon: Pikachu, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur.