Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Red/Blue

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 27, 1996

Pokémon Red version and Blue version were the initial two releases in the Pokémon franchise. Red, a Pokémon trainer from Pallet Town who Ash Ketchum, the anime protagonist, was later based on, starts a journey to become a Pokémon Master and ultimately catch 'em all.

A Story about the Red/Blue Rival Nobody Knew...

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Edited By Blubba

Saw this on a friend's Facebook page... 

In the original Pokémon Red/Blue, when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town he asks whether or not you know what it's like to have one of your Pokémon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate that he used in previous battles.Your rival battle before this took place aboard the S.S. Anne. Your rival's Raticate sustained serious injuries from the battle...but, because crowding and confusion on the luxury liner, he was unable to make it to a Pokémon Center in time and the Raticate passed away. The real reason your rival is in Lavender Town to begin with is to lay his deceased friend to rest.Despite all of this, your rival never outwardly tells you that you're responsible for the death of his Pokémon. He hides his grief and instead channels that energy into the motivation he needed to continue his quest to become Indigo League Champion. The death of his Raticate effectively destroys your rival's impish, childhood innocence. Although he tells himself that he doesn't hold you responsible, he subconsciously holds a great deal of resentment towards you which further fuels his ambitions.Tearfully swearing upon his Raticate's grave to not fail in what he set out to do, he trains hard in hopes of becoming better than you...defeating you...and to eventually make it to the Pokémon League. Mere moments after he became Indigo League champion, he was defeated...by you. Although he fulfilled his promise to his fallen Pokémon, it was only for a painfully brief instant.In the end, your rival is scolded by his grandfather while you receive the professor's praise. During the course of the game, you steal your rival's innocence, crush his dreams, and ultimately snatch away the love of his own grandfather. Oh, and by the way, your rival doesn't have any parents. He's an orphan.    

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Blubba

Saw this on a friend's Facebook page... 

In the original Pokémon Red/Blue, when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town he asks whether or not you know what it's like to have one of your Pokémon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate that he used in previous battles.Your rival battle before this took place aboard the S.S. Anne. Your rival's Raticate sustained serious injuries from the battle...but, because crowding and confusion on the luxury liner, he was unable to make it to a Pokémon Center in time and the Raticate passed away. The real reason your rival is in Lavender Town to begin with is to lay his deceased friend to rest.Despite all of this, your rival never outwardly tells you that you're responsible for the death of his Pokémon. He hides his grief and instead channels that energy into the motivation he needed to continue his quest to become Indigo League Champion. The death of his Raticate effectively destroys your rival's impish, childhood innocence. Although he tells himself that he doesn't hold you responsible, he subconsciously holds a great deal of resentment towards you which further fuels his ambitions.Tearfully swearing upon his Raticate's grave to not fail in what he set out to do, he trains hard in hopes of becoming better than you...defeating you...and to eventually make it to the Pokémon League. Mere moments after he became Indigo League champion, he was defeated...by you. Although he fulfilled his promise to his fallen Pokémon, it was only for a painfully brief instant.In the end, your rival is scolded by his grandfather while you receive the professor's praise. During the course of the game, you steal your rival's innocence, crush his dreams, and ultimately snatch away the love of his own grandfather. Oh, and by the way, your rival doesn't have any parents. He's an orphan.    

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah, I've read this before. The original author obviously thought about that too much.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Haha.  I never really thought about that.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad

No Caption Provided
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jack268

No Caption Provided
    I have read this before though. But really, I don't see why Gary would be salty, I mean, he's Gary Oak for christ's sake.
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By recroulette

He seems to come to terms with everything by the time Gold/Silver rolls around.

I wonder if they changed any of that in FireRed/LeafGreen.

I noticed your rival in HG/SS is less of a prick than he was in the original games.
    (Of course this is them matching the games to the manga, but still)

Also, how fucking weak would it be to have the Champion have a goddamn Raticate in his team?

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By supermonkey122

Or he deposited it the PC.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

WHAT HAVE I DONE.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By keyhunter

This again!
    Also he supposedly caught a metric fuck tonne of pokemon, I doubt this was the case. Probably switched em up.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @Snail said:
    " WHAT HAVE I DONE. "
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By sameeeeam
    @Snail said:
    " WHAT HAVE I DONE. "
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EuanDewar
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " The original author obviously thought about that too much. "
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By I_smell

He says in the cartoon that he allways rotates his Pokemon so there's no weak link in his team.

I remember this quote specifically because I didn't know what that meant, and thought he literally rotated his Pokemon.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael
    @I_smell said:
    " He says in the cartoon that he allways rotates his Pokemon so there's no weak link in his team. "
    He also rolled around in a really nice car with a bunch of hot chicks that idolized him. 

So I think he's fine.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @I_smell said:
    " I remember this quote specifically because I didn't know what that meant, and thought he literally rotated his Pokemon. "
    NOW WE KNOW HIS SECRET.
    Neorecon19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Neorecon19

Even if the Raticate did die, its mostly Blue`s fault for forcing it to battle in a way that caused it to die.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As badly as they can fuck each other up, I don't think it's possible for pokemon to kill each other in this universe. But they can die, I think. Anyway your rival is a big fat jerk, he got everything he deserves. Gary in the cartoon show was waaaay worse though, with his stable of bitches and sports car and all that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.