Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Red/Blue

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 27, 1996

Pokémon Red version and Blue version were the initial two releases in the Pokémon franchise. Red, a Pokémon trainer from Pallet Town who Ash Ketchum, the anime protagonist, was later based on, starts a journey to become a Pokémon Master and ultimately catch 'em all.

Theoretical Question: Was the original mew DLC?

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zabant

So even though these games existed before real DLC and even the internet itself if you dont count BBS and web 1.0, I ask you.

Was the original event to get MEW classed as DLC?

now before you say it was already on the cart remember, these days most DLC is already on the disc and all you are doing is getting an unlock code from a machine/server.

Kind of like...the original pokemon games. Fun fact if I remember correctly from the gamespot days ryan once mentioned he worked in a toys'r'us and had an actual machine that people brought their carts to plug into to get mew, so maybe if he sees this thread he could chime in.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Umm, well you weren't paying for Mew, so I'd have to go with no.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Umm, well you weren't paying for Mew, so I'd have to go with no. "
    You don't pay for Mortal Kombat costumes either, but they are still considered DLC.

I don't see that much difference between going to a Toys R' Us or pre-ordering. They are both promotions for the game and they both hand out free content.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zabant
    @JJWeatherman: so are you saying the free portal levels coming out soon are not DLC because they are free?

I have to say I disagree.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By melcene

I thought a MEW was from Monster Rancher.  They had one in Pokemon too?  Damn monster raising/training games.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zabant
    @melcene: I'm amazed anyone could not know who mew is at this point. Not that its a bad thing, it was just a huge deal back when I was a kid.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster
    @melcene said:
    " I thought a MEW was from Monster Rancher.  They had one in Pokemon too?  Damn monster raising/training games. "
    Nostalgia strikes. Now I'm thinking about Moochie.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By melcene
    @Zabant said:
    " @melcene: I'm amazed anyone could not know who mew is at this point. Not that its a bad thing, it was just a huge deal back when I was a kid. "
    I have never played a single Pokemon game.  I was 19 when the first Pokemon game came out.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zabant
    @melcene: Fair enough. I was around 11 so it was a little more age appropriate. I can understand the feeling of THEM DERN KIDS as I feel that way about the new pokemon games. There's somthing ridiculous like 1000 now.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LordXavierBritish said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" Umm, well you weren't paying for Mew, so I'd have to go with no. "

You don't pay for Mortal Kombat costumes either, but they are still considered DLC.
    I don't see that much difference between going to a Toys R' Us or pre-ordering. They are both promotions for the game and they both hand out free content.
    "
    @Zabant said:

" @JJWeatherman: so are you saying the free portal levels coming out soon are not DLC because they are free?

I have to say I disagree.
    "

You're neither paying for Mew nor actually downloading it. Seems to me that one or the other (or both) would have to be true for it to be considered DLC. If it's on the retail game and you're not paying extra for it, then it's just content.

Wait, I don't think I understand exactly how Mew was gotten. Someone explain.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By sameeeeam
    @JJWeatherman: It could only be obtained at Nintendo promotional events, if I recall correctly. You'd have to take your GB with the game in it to the event in question and the guy would hook you up with a Mew. 

EDIT: Although, I guess there was a glitch in Red, Yellow, and Blue through which Mew could be obtained as well.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Wait, I don't think I understand exactly how Mew was gotten. Someone explain. "
    Neither do I. With the advent of the "Mew glitch", that's the only way I recall of how to do it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the original method for acquiring Mew has been lost to time.

Bulbapedia has a pretty decent write up on the glitch.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zabant
    @JJWeatherman: It was on the cart but impossible to get (unless you used glitches or gameshark.) You hooked up the cart to a machine and it allowed you to get the mew.
     The machine in question, giving out Celebi for pokemon Gold and Silver.
     The machine in question, giving out Celebi for pokemon Gold and Silver.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Wasn't the original method of obtaining Mew in Pokemon Red/Blue to win a contest and then post your cartridge to Nintendo for them to add it to your game? I don't think that counts as a download, and thus it isn't DLC.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @MattyFTM said:
    " Wasn't the original method of obtaining Mew in Pokemon Red/Blue to win a contest and then post your cartridge to Nintendo for them to add it to your game? I don't think that counts as a download, and thus it isn't DLC. "
    No, you had to go to an event (tournament or some such) and they'd have machines set up with holes for your Red/Blue cartridge. You put the cart in the slot and you had a Mew.

I had to go alllll the way to Watford for mine.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Zabant: That's crazy. I always thought the only way to get him was to glitch it (or gameshark as you mentioned).

Hmmm. Well, if they're doing it as a kind of promotion like that, then maaaaybe. Kinda hard to call. I'd probably still lean towards no, that it's not DLC.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zabant
    @MattyFTM: See my above post. You hooked up your cart to a machine at nintendo events they held. Even if the original mew was obtained through your prize method, the above photo shows celebi from Gold and Silver was obtained via a machine. Which would only change the question to "is celebi classed as DLC?" 
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sameeeeam
    @Zabant: Man, those machines bring back memories. I remember when I was a kid I attended every single Nintendo event I could, mostly out of my love for Pokemon.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zabant

I do wonder if the machines shown altered the data on the actual carts or did something else to allow you to get mew. It's all very confusing considering the carts were all read-only memory, or ROMs as they are better known.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zabant

Man, i wonder if nintendo destroyed the old machines. I bet they would be worth some serious dollar to the collectors and pokemon fanatics.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Codeacious

It's debatable whether Mew was DLC, but I'd argue that the GS Ball in Japan was certainly DLC. You had to buy some accessory to hook up your cell phone to your Game Boy to download it.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zabant
    @isnipeyoudie: that's insane. Aren't you glad everything has some kind of usb port on it now?
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zityz

No I wouldn't say DLC but more of a UC (Unlocked Content) 

Reason being if it was already on the cartridge, and you could glitch it, theoretically you wouldn't of needed to download it. I'm sure all that machine did was put in some kind of unlock code or had some kind of unlocking codes to obtain MEW. 
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zabant
    @zityz: By that logic though almost all modern day DLC isn't actually DLC. As was previously mentioned MK costumes that were already on the disc and for example Jill from MVC3 that hackers found to be 100% complete and usable after editing the software to say I have payed for this.
    herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By herocide

Not downloaded, therefore not DLC. I don't think game with locked content unlockable by a payment code should be considered DLC either.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zityz

Difference is, a lot of that stuff isn't always finished or half coded. Therefore when your downloading those 50mbs + it's just adding the remaining  code, making it DLC.  Now if the game had everything finished on the disc AND you had to pay for that? That's not DLC thats just bullshit business.

Nintendo didn't make a profit off of a already finished character sprite on the cart. They did that and had it all planned along for one reason: Popularity of the brand.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By toowalrus

It wasn't downloaded, it was traded... or something. No. Just no.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520
    @JJWeatherman: Not all DLC is payed JJ. Look at all of Valves on the PC. FreeLC
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @JJWeatherman: Not all DLC is payed JJ. Look at all of Valves on the PC. FreeLC "
    Read my other posts, bro-montana!
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vexxan

Well it was additional game content but it wasn't really downloaded. But I guess you can call it the early stages of DLC :)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Daveyo520

I used a Gameshark to get mine.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Daveyo520
    @JJWeatherman: But I saw your comment 1st! I have a bad habbit of replying to things before reading the rest of the thread.
    Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zabant
    @Geno: Yes, glitches and cheats. The same could be said of most on disc DLC. The content is there you just have to find a way to get at it the developers never intended. The argument here is the act of using a machine to download an unlock code to get at hidden on disc content is classed as DLC by modern standards. The act of using a machine to unlock content on a cartridge is pretty much the same thing. Therefore logic dictates it is also DLC is it not?

For those arguing unlocking on disc content via codes you buy/win/preorder/get given for free from developers is not DLC. I agree. The industry at large however classes this as DLC.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wouldn't the Sattelaview be more accurate? Or Sega Channel? Or whatever Intellivision did before the Internet was even a thing?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Simplexity

You didn't Download Mew so it's not "Downloadable Content", seems pretty clear to me atleast.

Neorecon19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Neorecon19

Mew is a Pokemon added to Pokemon Red/Blue after they finished beta testing. So that is why you couldn't find it without the event or using a GameShark

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Mew was tacked on at the very end of the developing period and wasn't actually meant to be caught during the game.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Mew was left over code that was never properly introduced into the game that had to be hacked to get in. Nintendo realized a marketing opportunity and went with it. So no.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm still confused on how exactly Mew gets onto the cart in the first place. And I think a lot of people are, too. And that mystification is causing some to jump to premature conclusions one way or the other.

Mew is clearly on the cart to begin with, since you can finagle a way to catch him with that convoluted glitch method. But what does that machine-thing actually do? Maybe I just don't know the workings of cartridge tech, or how rigid code on a cart is once it is manufactured, but wouldn't buzzing in a code that unlocks Mew on a cart from an outside source be considered a download?

Also, whoa this thread is old. @NiKva must have a pretty good reason for reviving it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Yes, on disc DLC. But I do want to mention that Creatures 3 actually used microtransactions 2 years later to sell DLC. So Mindscape was 10 years a head of the times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.