Wow, I guess Nintendo Power didn't like Pokemon Red/Blue.

Avatar image for jjor64
#1 Edited by JJOR64 (19686 posts) -

I seen this article over at GoNintendo and thought it was kinda funny.  When Pokemon Red/Blue came out, they only gave it a 7.2, the second lowest rated game for that issue.  Now you look at Pokemon today and it's a fucking juggernaut.  Just thinking about Red/Blue reminds me of when I got Red for Christmas in 1999.  Maybe I should go back to the past and track down Red again.  :P  Thought I would share this interesting piece of Nintendo Power history.     P.S.  Anyone have the very first issue of Nintendo Power?

No Caption Provided


Avatar image for jonathanmoore
#2 Posted by JonathanMoore (1880 posts) -

Wow, Red/Blue is one of my favorite games of all time. Who knew... Nintendo Power, rated a game... average?

Avatar image for jakob187
#3 Posted by jakob187 (22938 posts) -

That's...kind of astonishing, actually!  lol  It seems that they hung onto that whole graphics issue pretty tight, though.

Avatar image for mattbodega
#4 Posted by MattBodega (2277 posts) -

That's bananas. Pokemon Red/Blue is the RPG that really made people interested in RPGs. It's influence on the RPG genre was probably just as big as a game like Final Fantasy 7.

Avatar image for thomasp
#5 Posted by ThomasP (1665 posts) -
@MattBodega said:
" That's bananas. Pokemon Red/Blue is the RPG that really made people interested in RPGs. It's influence on the RPG genre was probably just as big as a game like Final Fantasy 7. "
Indeed.
Avatar image for dietmango
#6 Posted by dietmango (1788 posts) -

Well now, that's surprising. Giving Red/Blue an average score!? Never really expected that. Especially on a classic RPG like that.

Avatar image for jjor64
#7 Posted by JJOR64 (19686 posts) -
@asian_pride said:
" Well now, that's surprising. Giving Red/Blue an average score!? Never really expected that. Especially on a classic RPG like that. "
I know.  Now go look at the IGN review, they gave it a 10.
Avatar image for dietmango
#8 Posted by dietmango (1788 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
"@asian_pride said:
" Well now, that's surprising. Giving Red/Blue an average score!? Never really expected that. Especially on a classic RPG like that. "
I know.  Now go look at the IGN review, they gave it a 10."

a 10!? Nah, I think it deserves more like a 9-9.5. 10 is pushing it.
Avatar image for jjor64
#9 Posted by JJOR64 (19686 posts) -
Avatar image for arbitrarywater
#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (14785 posts) -

What is this? Nintendo Power giving a 1st party game a score lower than a 9, and Pokemon Red/Blue no less? Does that mean that the magazine wasn't blatant propaganda like it is now? Nah. Don't be silly.

But still. It boggles the mind.

Avatar image for bucketdeth
#11 Posted by Bucketdeth (8252 posts) -

Pokemon Blue/Red were amazing, Pokemon took up a lot of my younger childhood, and I enjoyed every minute, those games deserve atleast a 9.

Avatar image for oriental_jams
#12 Posted by Oriental_Jams (3072 posts) -

Wow, I would call it more than just a 'good' game. I sunk 107 hours into Blue such a long, long time ago.

Avatar image for jjor64
#13 Posted by JJOR64 (19686 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" Pokemon Blue/Red were amazing, Pokemon took up a lot of my younger childhood, and I enjoyed every minute, those games deserve atleast a 9. "
Agreed.  I still like Pokemon but, only the games now.
Avatar image for bucketdeth
#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8252 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" Pokemon Blue/Red were amazing, Pokemon took up a lot of my younger childhood, and I enjoyed every minute, those games deserve atleast a 9. "
Agreed.  I still like Pokemon but, only the games now. "
Yeah same here man.
Avatar image for crunchuk
#15 Posted by crunchUK (6052 posts) -

my mind still can't wrap round... the first pokemon experience is like losing your virginity..... with pokemon games. Now it's like a retired pornstars sex life

Avatar image for nasar7
#16 Posted by Nasar7 (3210 posts) -

I still have my copy of Red. Good times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.