Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Sun/Moon

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 18, 2016

Pokémon's 20th anniversary game invites players to the tropical, Hawai'i-styled Alola region.

Tell me about that team!

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

What's your team like?! Who you runnin'?! Who are you thinking about picking up?!

I always like to use as many of the new pokemon as I can, so right now I'm rocking Decidueye, Lycanroc, Golisopod, Snorlax, Alolan Grimer, and the world-ender Ribombee.

From the jump Cutiefly was absolutely devastating in every battle she participated in. The godlike speed stat and absolute insanity of Pollen Puff (90 power at level 25!!!!) has earned her the nickname Ragnarok.

I love Snorlax but really want a water type to help against Rock and Fire types, so I'm going to go catch a Wimpod and evolve it into Golisopod to round out my group. High defensive stats should help negate the fact that I'll have a third Pokemon on my team weak to rock. I already got through that trial though, so whatever!

I don't really play competitively so I'm mostly talking about what fun Pokemon you're using to progress through the game, but if you want to talk competitive viability in this thread go for it!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@quid_pro_bono: Wow, I might go grab the Cutiefly I captured in that case. I'm right before the first trial cave thing just leveling some duders up. Currently I have...Dartryx? The second form of tiny owl, a Ghastly, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Makuhita and Growlithe, and laying that all out I now realize I have one new Pokemon in my group.

Mostly because I've only really found 3 new things so far. The bird is cool but I have the owl, I never use the normal type one that's always at the start of these (sorry DJ Yungoose), but I might try out the fly. Meowth and Rattata are nope picks, and Grimer was in the party but Ruffles the Growlithe took his spot.

Still, I never use Slowpoke, Magnemite or Makuhita so that's interesting. All have proven themselves so far. Might trade the Ghastly for the Cutiefly.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides my starter, my MVP has definitely been Rockruff who got a clutch critical hit in the volcano totem battle. She's grown past her adorable puppy days and is an edgy wolf now, but that's fine, she can be Incineroar's heel tag partner.

I'm about to take on the Kahuna of the second island, but I got a bit side-tracked filling out the rest of my team. I decided I only wanted to use new Pokemon this time around, though I did make an exception for Alolan Vulpix. I wanted to pick Litten no matter what, so one of my favorite gen-one Pokemon getting a new type variant besides Fire was perfect. It was tedious but I managed to catch two Mareanie, bred them, and then GTS'd one of the hatchlings for that aforementioned Vulpix (because I got Moon, and I've never liked Sandshrew).

For now, I think I've settled on Incineroar, Alolan Ninetails, Lycanroc (Midnight Form), either Toxapex or Golisopod, Tsareena, and Oricorio (haven't decided on a form yet, probably Ghost).

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: If you want new pokemon, try out Crabrawler instead of Makuhita. He's a super cool fighting type crab that is in the berry piles under trees. You should be able to find one right after where the first trial was.

@redyoshi: Alolan Vulpix looks super cool but I think Crabrawler evolves into a fighting/ice type so I'll probably leave Ninetales out, even though the redesign is amazing.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By redyoshi

@quid_pro_bono: Yeah, Crabrawler looks really cool, I'd love to find a spot for him if I decide to pick up Sun for another playthrough. Actually, so many of the new Pokemon look pretty great, especially guys like Golisopod and Vikavolt, and I've never been a fan of bug types. I'm really pleased with all the new designs for this generation.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: The new pokemon are great! A ton of really cool bugs, I agree. The only thing that bums me out about Vikavolt is that I was really happy to find an adamant Grubbin early on, before I found out that Vikavolt is a special attacker. Charjabug with an Eviolite may be good though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7 ArbitraryWater  Online

I'm going to try and avoid using the same handful of staple pokemon I tend to use every time I play one of these games (i.e. Alakazam, Crobat, Gyrados.) Not sure what my team will end up looking like, but I'm into all of the crazy looking Alolan variants of pokemon and I think there's a pretty good chance of Alolan Sandslash and Alolan Raichu ending up somewhere on my team.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm doing a blind Nuzlocke for this first run through so this team is definitely subject to change, but currently rolling with Torracat, Slowpoke, Trumbeak, Magnemite, Machop and just hatched an Eevee from an egg. Not really what I'd necessarily want for my team but run restrictions deem it must be so for now and they're alright.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: I don't think I'd ever Nuzlocke this game. Z-moves are just insane.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Milijango
    No Caption Provided

Primarina, Lycanroc (Night), Ribombee, Toxapex, Lurantis, and Marowak (Alolan). That's a lot of firepower, but it's far from quick so I can't just play offensive forever. They're also very low level.

Lycanroc has her Hidden Ability No Guard, and can't miss but also never dodges. Ribombee has Baton Pass, and passes on boosts to other teammates. The biggest and most entertaining gimmick has to be Lurantis - the ability reverses stat changes and doubles its special attack every time it uses Leaf Storm. It's the very definition of a one trick pony but paired with Ribombee's Quiver Dance it's ridiculous when it works.

If you couldn't tell this is my first traditional JRPG in a long time and I'm relishing it.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an aside, but if you catch a Magby on the volcano and a Ditto at Mount Hokulani you can be quickly breeding by the third island. I even found an Everstone at some point in the game.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on the 2nd island. So far I'm rocking a Dartrix named Robin Hoot because I'm an awful human being and it's final evolution looks like Robin Hood. Also have a growlithe, crabrawler named Mr Krabs, magnemite, cutiefly that I might switch out for a grubbin and Poliswag

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: Yeah, the Everstone comes from rebattling the very first trial captain, who lives in Hau'oli City.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

At the moment:

• Mudbray
    • Magnemite
    • Gyarados
    • Roggenrola
    • Fletchinder
    • Dartrix

I don't know why I keep Dartrix around. TBH, I'm not a fan of any of the starters in this game though. Admittedly, he's come in handy quite a few times, but I don't care. He's gonna get replaced soon. I usually just choose Pokemon I like the look of and deal with any battles as best I can. Having a balanced team isn't really a concern for me.

The Pokemon Bank not being active really threw a wrench into my plans. Was hoping to bring in Squirtle (my all-time favorite Pokemon is Blastoise), but looks like I'm gonna have to wait until early next year.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@quid_pro_bono: I had a mini heart attack when the first Kahuna Z-atttacked me. But really I think the real menaces are the totem Pokemon. I nearly wiped on that Totem Wishiwashi. Fighting that schooled thing in the rain 2v1 was just not fair.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Naoiko

There are so many new possibilities seeing as HM's arent a concern for me now. I don't have my team set yet...I'll update once I stop playing pokemon shuffle with my team hahaha.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: Crabrawler is an amazing name. Definitely going to switch that Makuhita out once I find one based on that alone. Spent most of my time after my original post messing around with that festival thing and then leveling up my Cutiefly (named Supafly because I'm terrible) outside of the first trial area, and so far that thing is pretty alright. Probably gonna hit the first trial later tonight and see how that goes.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBlue

I've got Primarina, Magneton, Toucannon, Tsareena, and Mudsdale so far. The Bounsweet that you can trade for at the beginning of the game is quite good once you evolve it to Tsareena. I didn't intend on using it but it's base attack of 120 was too good to pass up. I was training a Salandit, but then I found out only the females can evolve which really bummed me out. I could go back and grab one as I could really use a fire/poison type...

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: be prepared to do some searching. They're 1/9 female, like the starters.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My current crew:

• Incineroar(Lariatooo!!!)
    • Pikachu (Rai-CHA)
    • Tsareena(Legs)
    • Lycanroc Midnight form (Thiller Bark aka Thriller Bark but won't fit)
    • Salandit(Femme Fatal)
    • Mareanie(I can't improve on that name. I might have to retroactively rename it when it evolves.)

Past major members Ribombee, Toucannon, and Araquanid.

Future planned changes: Looking to evolve that Pikachu soon but getting it's unique Z move has delayed that. I'm looking to replace Lyanroc with the sand castle for a bit in the near future. Salandit will probably go at some point after evolution. Mimikyu will make it on the team at some point. Might want to trade for an alolan Vulpix when I get a chance.

The final team is still up for grabs. Inceneroar, Mareanie, Tsreena, and Raichu are confirmed final members. As they cover a water-grass-fire core. As well has Dark, Psychic, and Fighting(Tsueena gets good fighting moves.) core.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By InstantRyan

Right now, I'm only using new Pokemon to Sun/Moon and my final team will basically be based on whether I like the look of the Pokemon or not.

My current team is comprised of (Just hit the 2nd island):

• Dartrix: Don't like how any of the evo's look for the starters but Rowlet was my favorite and I dislike the last evo for it the least of the 3
    • Crabrawler: My favorite Pokemon of the new ones so far. Whats not to like about a crab with boxing gloves and a "black eye"
    • Gumshoos: Using him but he'll be switched out eventually
    • Trumbeak: Same situation as Gumshoos

Rest of the spots have been rotating as I find new stuff I'll leave in to level a bit. Thinking about throwing in the electric version of Oricorio and maybe using Cutiefly for the fairy attacks. If I was using non Sun/Moon Pokemon as well, I'd probably have a Growlithe and a Pikachu in there.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: Salandit is rare enough in the wild that I'm thinking it'll probably be faster to just try to breed them like crazy. I have a male I can use to try to get some females hatched, may do that later today.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: Yeah I gave up with searching very quickly. I just got one now after about 8 or 9 eggs.

jynxar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jynxar

Going into the diglett cave now and my team is

• Wimpod 22
    • Crabrawler 26
    • Torracat 28
    • Ribombee 27
    • Rockruff 25
    • Mudbray 26

I swapped out my charjabug for wimpod because the evolution was just taking too long and I like wimpods evolution better. Ribombee is nice and mudbray with stamina seems unkillable physically.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PhilOsyfee
    • Charjabug 43
    • Lycanroc (Night Form) 46
    • Salazzle 46
    • Snorlax 47
    • Decidueye 47
    • Random Pokemon to evolve and complete dex, but I have been using Zygarde.
    mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

@quid_pro_bono: Crabrawler is an amazing name. Definitely going to switch that Makuhita out once I find one based on that alone. Spent most of my time after my original post messing around with that festival thing and then leveling up my Cutiefly (named Supafly because I'm terrible) outside of the first trial area, and so far that thing is pretty alright. Probably gonna hit the first trial later tonight and see how that goes.

the best part is that he has a lazy eye with blue eyelids so it looks like his face just got fucked up in the ring. he's basically the Rocky of pokemon.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Capum15

@mems1224: Oh man. I really need to find one. Got past the first trial and got the pom-pom bird, and sadly swapped out Magnemite but I wanna use these new things.

Edit: Also I evolved my Cutiefly and now it's moves are kind of ridiculously powerful.

Gaminggumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gaminggumper
    Gaminggumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: I've got a spare crabrawler if u want to trade.

Fc 1177-8928-4013 anyone welcome to friend.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: I have an extra if you want trade

I'm good. I only wanted to trade for a Vulpix and I already got one from GTS. Thanks though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminggumper: Thanks, but I just caught one!

@mems1224: @quid_pro_bono: Fist the Crabrawler has now replaced my Makuhita. I wanted to name him Fist Rockpunch but it wouldn't fit. Thanks for letting me know about this guy, he's awesome. Taught him Brick Break off the bat and now I'm gonna go train him up some.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a hot Palossand on my squad that's working out all right.

How is Golisopod? Thinking about training one up.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been doing some Showdown testing and I'm coming to the conclusion that Toxapex is Bad and people should feel Bad for using it. It gets one bombed by so many commonly used pokemon, it just isn't shit.

jynxar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altonbrown I have it on my team. "First impression" is a +2 priority move that is 90 base power and only usable on the first turn. His ability makes him switch out at half health or run away from wild pokemon. He looks awesome, like something out of a sci-fi movie. The ability though is a let down. The ability would be fine really if "first impression" wasn't a bug move. He basically uses that and sucker punch and thats it. Not really worth it competitively. It's just a revenge killer that relies on a bug move, and bug is just walled to hell and back with x4 resists. Getting through the game though, he is a real fun and a cool pokemon and I recommend him.

@planetfunksquad Hes pretty fierce. It's not a good as people may think it is, because it is just setup fodder. His biggest issue is the fact he cant break a sub and people will eventually build teams around that and set up and sweep on it. Eviolite dusclops was once ou and is now PU for the simple reason that it's set up bait. Toxapex at least has a lot more viability and several sets to run, and it has recover so I still see this being used for a while.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By planetfunksquad

@jynxar: with the likes of Specs Tapu Koko running around I just can't see any way for it to be relevant. I mean Frerrothorn could be OHKOd too but a least that fucker could fight back. Merciless Venoshock does some damage but it has to be set up and Regenerator is cool but again, with Koko around I just can't see it working. I'd love to be wrong cos I think it's cool as hell...

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Machoke is the real MVP

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.