Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Sword/Shield

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 15, 2019

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield is a RPG game for the Nintendo Switch which is set in the Galar region.

Pokemon Switch: What do you want out of the 1st mainline console Pokemon game?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Pokemon Switch: What do you want out of the 1st mainline console Pokemon game? (85 votes)

Remake of Gen 1 (R/G/B) 12%
    Remake of Gen 2 (G/S/C without Kanto bonus) 1%
    Remake of Gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) 0%
    Remake of Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum) 1%
    Remake of Gen 5 (B/W or B/W2)) 0%
    Remake of Gen 6 (X/Y) 0%
    Remake of Gen 7 (Sun/Moon) 0%
    Remake of Gen 2 (w/ Kanto bonus) (I'm a dreamer) 2%
    Gen 8 (New gen) 72%
    Show me the poll 12%

Game Freak has already alluded to the Switch Pokemon game being a new generation so the poll is just for fun.

I do however want to hear from ppl that have kept up with the series over the years or became a fan playing the newer ones. What is the state of Pokemon? What are things you want addressed? What do you want out of the next mainline Pokemon?

I was a major MAJOR gen1 and gen2 Pokemon fan but I've been out of the loop ever since. Of course I'd love a console remake of RGB or GSC, RGB preferably but I'll get back into Pokemon regardless 'cause I've been dreaming about a real console Pokemon game for 20 years.

• 
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If it's anything other than a new generation, I'll be disappointed. Also, bring over some of the quality of life features that are in Let's Go, like partner Pokemon following you, no HMs and seeing Pokemon in the tall grass instead of getting stopped by Bibarel every 3 feet!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As much as I would love a big-ass Pokemon MMO that has all of the regions, Gyms, Elite Four and Champion members and so on, realistically, I'll take the usual new region, new monsters and new gameplay additions and changes to freshen things up for those like me who bailed a few generations ago. But, I will say that having the GBA and DS games for digital purchasing would be vary convent since I'm not doing that "cartridge only" bullshit on Ebay and Amazon.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is 0% chance it's not a new generation. It might have old regions just because of the amount of space they have on console but after Let's Go there's no way that it's just another remake. Anything less than a new gen would be insulting.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I want the new generation, but I would love if the new game had time travel as well, so you could go way back when Pokemon are first embraced by humans, to pre-historic era, to other games' time periods, to the far future, and be able to collect all kinds of different monsters from them. Also it would be cool if you could crossbreed or genetically create unique Pokemon.

A new stat would be interesting instead of just hp/pp/exp. Maybe something like a stun meter, special meter. Ooh! A charge meter for each element, like a move where you just charge Pikachu up for extra damage, with lightning arcing around the meter all animated and shit.

I want to feed Charizard a chili and make him go super cayenne.

Kamui97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They've already basically confirmed that it'll be a next gen pokemon.

Serebii, from June: "The Pokémon Company CEO, Tsunekazu Ishihara who provided a few minor tidbits about the upcoming Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch due out in 2019. He reconfirmed that this game is due for release in the second half of 2019, will have better graphics than any prior Pokémon game, that it'll be completely new aimed at experienced fans, not like Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee and states that it will contain many brand new Pokémon."

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kamui97: yeah, this is mentioned in my OP.

Kamui97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

oh i see that now. Looked at the follow-up other comments and thought you hadnt clarified lol.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@kingbonesaw: True, that's probably not gonna happen in the foreseeable future. But I kicked someone's ass in PokeMMO a few years back and that felt pretty good.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No pikachu at all, or even better, 100% new pokemon, leave the nostalgia stuff to let's go.

And a game that's challenging at least, XY and ORAS were super easy, I don't need the "dark souls of turn based RPG's" but they could at least try to beat me up in a gym or something. Here's a video that explains what I'm saying a little better.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Person who's stuck with the series since Gen 1 here. In terms of QOL stuff they made a pretty big leap in Gen 7 to the point where there isn't much else that I really want outside of maybe just getting rid of walking to hatch eggs, though that probably won't happen. They also got the battle system in Gen 7 to, in my opinion, the best it's ever been since Gen 4. Z-moves turned out to be a pretty fantastic introduction to the series, adding a new strategic element while being nowhere near as balance-shaking as Mega Evolution (which was also a good addition), so I'd hope they continue to expand on the Z-move concept, maybe come up with at least 2 different attack animations for physical/special Z-moves.

For the overall game structure, I'd want them to do something like the Gamecube games where they ditch the Gym conceit and tell a more focused story except this time with the structure of a full Pokemon game. I wouldn't mind if they don't introduce any new Pokemon at all now that I think about it. The overhead for modeling all 800+ already existing Mons is probably pretty high, I'd be alright with a region with a native population from a mix of the generations with some new Megas. Probably don't even need to have new Legendary Pokemon, though that would be nice, they could just feature some of the greatest hits.

Speaking of those Gamecube games, something that I think would be cool but almost certainly won't happen is if they force Double Battles for all trainer battles in the main story like in those Gamecube games. It would let you play around with battle strategies more during the main story instead of saving all that for post-game Battle Tower stuff and would probably expose the depth to be found in these games to the people who never touch competitive battling. Nintendo's official competitive series is in Double format already so I don't see why they shouldn't focus on that more in the main game.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really know what I want from the series right now. Sun/Moon burned me out badly, in part because the insistence on stopping every few feet for a cutscene with a cast of characters and storyline that are somehow less compelling than the stuff back in the Gameboy era, and also because I don't really need to go through another cave with fuckin' Zubats in it.

I definitely don't want to see them remaking anything for a loooong time, though. I'm already worried the new one will be too reliant on nostalgia (and Zubat caves).

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw a gameplay of Let's Go Pikachu and I didn't realize it was basically a remake of Yellow. It's watered down in certain aspects but I thought it was some dumb Pokemon Go companion piece. I'm actually excited for it now and it looks perfect for someone like me who hasn't touched a Pokemon game since Gen 2.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we need a new generation, we also need a difficulty scale, or some type of hard mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.