Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Concept »

Pokémon are creatures that inhabit the Pokémon universe and can be captured and trained for battle.

Pokémon Anime 24 Hour Twitch Stream

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

This is just a reminder (since I didn't see another thread) about the 24 hour stream going on this Twitch Channel, TwitchWatchesPokemon. Akin to the Bob Ross stream, this is official and in celebration of Pokémon's 20th Anniversary.

So far they've played the first movie, and are currently part-way through the second. I was actually surprised how emotional I got rewatching the first film after so long since my childhood - it totally held up.

It started at 2am GMT Sunday 28th, and ends 2am GMT Monday 29th. (6am PT / 9pm ET Saturday 27th - Sunday 28th).

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I rewatched some of the first movie not too long ago and realize that kid me was a real asshole for dragging his mom to see that.

That said, this is a pretty neat idea and it's cool that Nintendo is doing it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dixavd

I rewatched some of the first movie not too long ago and realize that kid me was a real asshole for dragging his mom to see that.

Yeah, It would suck to sit through them if you don't have any reverence for the characters or the Pokémon world at all. That said, most parents I know enjoy watching things with their kids even if they aren't interested in it - especially when it isn't repetitive song-after-song "hey kids where did X go?" type stuff. Seeing a film with a kid enamoured by it would seem fun to me.

Also, technically Nintendo isn't doing this. It's the Pokémon Company. Nintendo don't own any rights to Pokémon outside the publishing of the video games.

Avatar image for commanderbuttmunch
    commanderbuttmunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman said:

To this day, my mother will not let me live down the torture she was forced to endure in accompanying me to see the second Pokemon film on my cousin's birthday.

Rewatching it, I can't say I blame her. That said, the film had an original Weird Al song during the end credits and I'm pretty sure there's a Simpsons reference towards the end of the movie.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny how we're talking about parents' reactions to these films while the third one (Spell of Unown) is on (Which is all about child abandonment and their relationships with their parents - especially about them spending time with each other doing what the child enjoys).

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: Pokemon Company then, whatever. Point is it's cool of them to do it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm both glad you told me about this and I hate you for doing it because I've had it on pretty much all day/night. I really hope they get to the X/Y movies now that they're at the end of the Diamond/Pearl ones.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: Ha, I know how you feel. I've actually been awake for over 40 hours now due in part to a serious migraine on Friday, stopping me sleep then. And then I wasn't able to all Saturday, then this started (a continuation after another Pokémon stream featuring them playing games, the TCG and a finale of Pokken Tournament) and I just kept going. I've now reached the second time of not being tired.

Thankfully, while I've wanted to have this on all the time, I was able to pull myself away to do things I needed to (like go food shopping) when I realised there's is a Video copy of the stream stored. I was part way through Darkrai when I left. Came back a little later and saw they were on Giratina's while I continued Darkrai's. Didn't finish it (had to leave again) and when I came back they had cancelled the video :( Guess I missed the end of Darkrai and Giratina. I'll just watch the rest of Zoroak on onwards. No big deal. Maybe I'll one day go back and watch all of the movies they skipped/I missed in the future.

Still this is lots of fun (even if I've now just muted Chat)!

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By fatalbanana

If it's anything but the first movie it's bad right?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dixavd

@fatalbanana: Well Ash certainly gets progressively dumber* (and he wasn't even that smart to begin with).

*The weirdest part is the disparity to his competence and his importance. He somehow seems to get more powerful (as he fulfils more prophecies and is named multiple different types of chosen ones) while getting more childlike and hotheaded.

It's very strange seeing this happen with the films consecutively (seeing as each represents at least a years worth of further characterisation - I hesitate to say development).

Still, the first one isn't the best one, if you ask me.

Edit - I should say I read your comment as a sly joke, but this was something I was noticing and it fit.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dixavd: No the first one is the only one I've seen and I remember liking it when I saw it. Which one would you say is the best?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had stream up today, I missed the first movie which is only one I had ever seen. They are getting weird now, these later movies have given pokemon actual abilities to talk. The one they are on now has a female voiced Mewtwo and robot pokemon.

No Caption Provided

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By donchipotle

@wolfgame said:

I've had stream up today, I missed the first movie which is only one I had ever seen. They are getting weird now, these later movies have given pokemon actual abilities to talk. The one they are on now has a female voiced Mewtwo and robot pokemon.

No Caption Provided

Legendary Pokemon talking in the movies has been a thing since the first one. They don't always talk (Celebi didn't, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina didn't either) but talking Legendaries is kind of the thing with the movies. It's how people know they're serious.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: Oh that's interesting, so much of my knowledge is based on early generation pokemon and even then its kind of dated, today has been a crash course for me in pokemon. They were playing episodes from Pokemon Origins a bit ago, a anime series centered around the pokemon blue/red game. I thought that was pretty cool. Right now im not sure whats on, it's a different series but kind of generic. It doesn't seem to be following a game but instead a pokemon trainer named Jimmy. It's even more pun heavy than the other series.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Misty can apparently turn into a mermaid

No Caption Provided

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fatalbanana: Of the ones I've seen (which is about 3/4s of them), my favourite is Film 9: Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea. I like the villain, Phantum, who, while a fairly generic greedy pirate, is a fun villain that isn't too emotionally intense or trying to be too menacing. Jackie is a fantastic character as the Ranger, and he plays a great role of an adult keeping an eye on the kids while trying to stick to his mission. He doesn't have crazy magical powers, just great athletic ability to go along with his action hero persona, and the Pokémon Ranger ability to call on local Pokémon for assistance (without capturing them). Ash and May are both integral to the plot where, in the end, they both get great achievements* (instead of just Ash). May and Manaphy have a wonderful relationship where both of them develop through the film.The other one-off characters are also useful, and I like that their goal is just to see the Temple and bring Manaphy home. I also like how they designed the way that The People of Water, in the modern world just use their abilities to be wandering carnival show hosts (to make use of their great swimming abilitiy) while also going on the road to find and bring Manaphy home. It's clear they, Jackie, and Phantum have been actively steadly going towards their goals long before the film starts that we don't need eplicitly shown.

I also especially like how the film is a single story thing, and not something that devolves into end of the world prophecies. There's also a great load of foreshadowing going on (with my favourite being how Jackie's use of Confuse Ray in the opening against Phantum is then repeated by Phantum at the end as his final effort to stave off the Pokémon) including all of Manaphy's powers appearing twice: when it's very young, playing and reacting; when it's gaining control of its powers.

The film is still a Pokémon anime film, which brings with it all of those problems (most notably seen in Brock, Max and Team Rocket - though not egregiously so) but it's certainly a fun little story.

*May's Achievement: Mother Figure to The Prince of the Sea, Manaphy, and honorary People of the Water.
    *Ash's Achievement: He earns the Sea Crown and title King of the Sea by putting the Temple back together, restoring it to put its powers back into Ash and Manaphy (and later the others)

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: May playing a Mermaid has been their since the first series. When they go to the Cerulean Gym (the one she is leader of in the games), you meet her Sisters and they are about to put on a mermaid ballet (as you find out they do often - which Misty has always had a problem playing the role against her older sisters). It doesn't come up often though. The episode your watching (and that with Jimmy and Raikou in the Legend of Thunder) is from the series Pokémon Chronicles in 2005 which was a short season devoted to stories not about Ash and instead to give a glimpse into the lives of other characters met in the Johto region. Jimmy was there way of personifying the Johto games' male playable character (and Marina is based on the female main character).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.