Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Becoming a true Pokemaniac

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By macandcheese

With the release of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver I have been foreced back into a game that has already sucked far to much of my life into it. I have collected all 493 Pokemon and have them sitting in my Box in Pokemon Pearl, I have bought and played sseveral pokemon spin off games mostly for the bonus pokemon they got me and overall spent a rediculous chunk of time playing games from the Pokemon series.
    With all this in mind there is one thing that I have not tried in the Pokemon series finding it just too time consuming....EV and IV training.  For the uninformed EV training is basically the way you get the best Pokemon EVER. IV training is essentialy breeding pokemon and rolling the dice for the original stats from 0-31, once you have a good set of stats which iteslf can take many hours you begin EV training.    So you know when you were a kid playing pokemon and you heard from a guy who heard that pokemon you raised were better then the ones you caught wild.....he was right. there is an invisible stat called Effort Value that can give your pokemon a boost in their abilties. This whole process intended to get you a super powerfull Lv 100. I have decided to take a foray into the reaches of Pokemania.
    I am breeding and EV training a single dratini into a dragonite, I will post proof and a review of the process once I have completed. WIsh me luck GB
     Also if you are interested in IV and EV training I suggest
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/471243/22554     for more info and
    Serebii.net for overall Pokemon info

macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By macandcheese

With the release of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver I have been foreced back into a game that has already sucked far to much of my life into it. I have collected all 493 Pokemon and have them sitting in my Box in Pokemon Pearl, I have bought and played sseveral pokemon spin off games mostly for the bonus pokemon they got me and overall spent a rediculous chunk of time playing games from the Pokemon series.
    With all this in mind there is one thing that I have not tried in the Pokemon series finding it just too time consuming....EV and IV training.  For the uninformed EV training is basically the way you get the best Pokemon EVER. IV training is essentialy breeding pokemon and rolling the dice for the original stats from 0-31, once you have a good set of stats which iteslf can take many hours you begin EV training.    So you know when you were a kid playing pokemon and you heard from a guy who heard that pokemon you raised were better then the ones you caught wild.....he was right. there is an invisible stat called Effort Value that can give your pokemon a boost in their abilties. This whole process intended to get you a super powerfull Lv 100. I have decided to take a foray into the reaches of Pokemania.
    I am breeding and EV training a single dratini into a dragonite, I will post proof and a review of the process once I have completed. WIsh me luck GB
     Also if you are interested in IV and EV training I suggest
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/471243/22554     for more info and
    Serebii.net for overall Pokemon info

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane

I would say you're already a Pokemaniac, if you've done all that. This...is just taking it beyond. 

That said, good luck with it. I am kinda interested in how much of a difference it makes. 

Also, good job with getting all those pokemon, i don't think i could even make it to 100.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Shirogane said:
    " I would say you're already a Pokemaniac, if you've done all that. This...is just taking it beyond.  That said, good luck with it. I am kinda interested in how much of a difference it makes.  Also, good job with getting all those pokemon, i don't think i could even make it to 100. "
    Indeed.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ryax

poke'nerd

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Sounds interesting.  I'll be looking forward to the results of this.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MarkWahlberg

One guy I know started to record the rate at which his pokemon gained experience... or something. Apparently it was relevant to the breeding process? Many flashcards were filled in this endeavor.  I didn't really understand it but it made Pokemon games seem that much more insane to me. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By crusader8463
    No Caption Provided
    Ya i never got into the breeding and collecting aspects of Pokemon because i have always been alone and never had anyone to trade or fight with. I saw no point in investing the time to breed the most awesomeest Pokemon because all i would ever be able to fight was the in game trainers and i could never collect them all, without using a cheating device, for the same reason. I'm still crossing my fingers for them to make the god dam Pokemon MMO so that all of this could be online and persistent. Though I'm sure they would fuck that up.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
    deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck with that man, I have read about this stuff before and looks really tedious, and I never really saw the reward of it. I would be interested to actually hear from someone who actually when through with the process, so yah good luck man.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter
    @macandcheese said:

" With the release of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver I have been foreced back into a game that has already sucked far to much of my life into it. I have collected all 493 Pokemon and have them sitting in my Box in Pokemon Pearl, I have bought and played sseveral pokemon spin off games mostly for the bonus pokemon they got me and overall spent a rediculous chunk of time playing games from the Pokemon series. With all this in mind there is one thing that I have not tried in the Pokemon series finding it just too time consuming....EV and IV training.  For the uninformed EV training is basically the way you get the best Pokemon EVER. IV training is essentialy breeding pokemon and rolling the dice for the original stats from 0-31, once you have a good set of stats which iteslf can take many hours you begin EV training.    So you know when you were a kid playing pokemon and you heard from a guy who heard that pokemon you raised were better then the ones you caught wild.....he was right. there is an invisible stat called Effort Value that can give your pokemon a boost in their abilties. This whole process intended to get you a super powerfull Lv 100. I have decided to take a foray into the reaches of Pokemania. I am breeding and EV training a single dratini into a dragonite, I will post proof and a review of the process once I have completed. WIsh me luck GB Also if you are interested in IV and EV training I suggest http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/471243/22554     for more info and Serebii.net for overall Pokemon info  "

Just so you're aware, 90% of people who dick with EV's and IV's use something called a pokesav. They can't make pokemon with unreasonable stats, but they can make a pokemon as perfect in one aspect as is possible within the game. So if you're gonna spend 6 hours smoking rattata's with your Mewtwo, chances are you'll go online, face a pokesav'd mewtwo with like 5 more points of speed then yours and get dark pulsed. I do not use a pokesav because I am not a gay cheater. But it seems like most are unfortunately.

You're better off just making a team of encore Wobbuffets, FEAR rattata's and Blissey's with siesmic toss.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

EV training is insane. It's also sort of stifling, because it severely limits the number of effective Pokemon in battle. For competitions that specify usage of only first-gen Pokemon, barring Mewtwo and Mew, there are literally seven or eight Pokemon that are even plausible choices, the rest are so easily dismantled.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By damnboyadvance

Good luck with whatever it is you're doing. I've played and enjoyed the last few Pokemon games, but I can't say I was this dedicated to it.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By jinxman

I haven't caught all 439...how did you get arceus?  If you gamesharked it i will not be impressed.  I've caught around 300 i think in my pearl, although i'm trying to transfer all the unique ones over to my platinum which takes fucking FOREVER.  I've EV and IV trained a Dragonite and a Rhyperior which is pretty cool but i haven't got them to lvl 100 yet.  I go through little phases of loving pokemon and then i subside for a while.  I'll pick up heart gold sometime soon though, cause i'm really excited for it. :)

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Kbm600

I would never use the EV shit. That goes over my head and ruins the fun of the game for me.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By breadfan

That breeding and training always seemed a bit much to me. It just seemed to take most of the fun out of Pokemon.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dan_CiTi

100 is pretty easy nowadays I think. They make it so easy to catch at least 75% of all of the pokemon anyway. 

rockenhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By rockenhard

Wow.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Kbm600 said:
    " I would never use the EV shit. That goes over my head and ruins the fun of the game for me. "
    I feel it completely divides the userbase between the casual players and hardcore stat maniacs.  I don't think it requires any skill to train a Pokemon in this manor, it's just grinding.  And someone who doesn't do this doesn't stand a chance against someone who does.. it's a ridiculous stat system and completely breaks a game that's supposed to be about strategy.

Pokemon will never be taken seriously as a competitive game until they fix this.
    (except of course a handful of devoted players with nothing better to do with their time)

Let's borrow from the Guild Wars rule book..
    Skill over time spent playing.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By immike

Yeeaaaah, I know a lot about EV and IV stats. I would never EV train any pokemon, ever. It's not worth it.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jos1ah

Yeah sounds like you were definitely a Pokemaniac already, but this just sounds like something else like you're tearing the game a new ass. I just recently got into Heartgold and it's the first one I've played and the stuff you guys are talking about is scaring me off. Lol.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

Consider myself, who reloaded a game at least 30 times to get a mudkip with a relaxed nature from Steven in the Silph Co.

I always try to capture Pokemon with the intention of rasing them for the competitive battle scene, but rarely ever go through with it. So far, the only two Pokemon I've trained with EVs in mind were a Dragonite (Adamant nature, now level 100), and my shiny Roselia (Jolly nature, now level 100). I did it mostly for myself, since I've never entered a competition, nor do I ever intend to.

Yes, it's crazy to boil a game down to the mathematics involved  in raising the best Pokemon possible. I still like the idea of knowing that I've done so, but yeah, it's insanely time consuming and not fun at all.

And yeah, half the reason I'd never consider competitive battling is because people cheat to create the perfect, undectectably cheated Pokemon, and they'll beat you simply because of that fact.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21  Edited By the8bitNacho

I just...can't care about Pokemon this much.  Kudos for the fact that you can.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By RobotHamster

Its good to see other pokemaniacs out there.  And when the day comes that pokemon are real we'll be there to master them and tell everyone else, HA we told you so!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.