Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Got a 3DS, which Pokemon game should I get?

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I recently got a 3DS and was wanting to get my pokeman on. The problem is I've been kind of out of the loop for some time now. I think the last Pokemon game I've played was Black. I heard they remade Ruby which I really enjoyed from my GBA days. What would you guys recommend? Would I be best served waiting for Sun and Moon?

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I also recently got a 3DS and have been playing X. I also put about 10 hours into Red just to since the anniversary and all.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

X was the first true handheld Pokemon game i played since Silver, and I loved it. I have yet to play Omega/Alpha, but I hear their fantastic especially since it's got lots of awesome post game content that X/Y was sorely missing.

Personally I'll be skipping those two for now to not suffer faituge, and wait for Sun/Moon

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
    Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently replaying Yellow as I have to play as many Pokemon games as possible.

X & Y aren't as fun as Black/White 1&2.

Soul Silver / Heart Gold are still great

Diamond/Pearl are solid, but skippable

That's just my 2 cents

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Thank you. That thread was very useful.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the new the Pokemon game is the more it respects your time. The way they changed the Exp share in later games is a god send. I bought Pokemon Yellow last week for nostalgia's sake and boy did that game not age well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip X/Y and choose Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was expecting this thread to just be...

"YOKAI WATCH"

Honestly I'd wait for the new ones. If you could wait this long just wait a bit more.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with Alpha Sapphire and just started Y last week.

They've made some really smart design choices for both of them that really move things along at a much faster pace than normal. EXP share actually sharing for your entire party is the best change to the series in years.

It kind of just depends on if you want to replay an older game remade or see something entirely brand new. Well, I use the term New loosely because Y still is a pokemon game after all and they're all very similar at the end of the day lol. But for me Y just feels more fresh and updated.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go with Y over the Ruby/Sapphire remake unless you really loved those games. I never played the originals so I just kinda got bored after 2-3 gyms. They didn't really add much. Had a much better time with Y

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@indeedcodybrown: In an interesting turn, I think there's no way Yokai Watch is going to be as big in the West as in Japan, let alone get as big as Pokemon was worldwide.

Pokemon was such a simple concept that transfers to so many other cultures easily: what if animals had weird names, but were easily tameable and you could have a cool pet that breathed fire or some shit, and you could have cool fights with them, but ultimately nobody gets hurt. That simplicity helped fuel the multimedia empire of Pokemon, with the anime and toys and whatever, and it worked in a variety of regions. A whole generation of kids pretty much had to be aware of Pokemon.

Conversely, the specific interpretations of "spirit" that yokai are is a very culturally Japanese thing, and I don't think the premise of the game or whatever anime based on the game is going to work on millions and millions of kids worldwide. Even if it's based on old fashioned beliefs in Japan, there's probably going to be some minor familiarity with the concepts or creatures of Yokai Watch in Japan, and not so much internationally. Or at least, it might've worked internationally if Pokemon had just never happened, but since it did, Yokai Watch has to somehow displace Pokemon in terms of mindshare. Maybe if they just really pushed the shit out of international merchandise and anime translations, little kids would all get into Yokai Watch, but thus far it doesn't seem on track to catch on the way Pokemon did in 1998-2000ish.

And I feel like you would have to convince little kids to get into Yokai Watch, because most of the 15-35-year-olds that currently play Pokemon are probably committed to their current kids' RPG of choice, and not likely to be swayed into Yokai Watch, which is also very kid-oriented but they have no nostalgia for (compared to Pokemon for which they have either personal nostalgia or a generational nostalgia).

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Milijango

My vote is for X/Y over Ruby/Sapphire as well. I felt as if the remakes disregarded a lot of quality of life improvements like a less HM-heavy world and the Roller Skates (instead bringing back the entirely unnecessary Mach/Acro bike split). There are also far more types of Pokémon you can catch before the post-game, so it's more likely you'll find things you actually want to use.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Getz

X/Y are the first games to get rid of grinding which is nice, and I like them better than Sapphire/Ruby

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Go with X/Y rather than OR/AS. The Hoenn games were the series' low point and 3D graphics didn't solve that.

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

omega Sapphire is pretty awesome, not as much grinding as the others as you get exp share within an hour or less of starting the game

MegaCharizardX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Pokémon X and Pokémon US, but I like X far more than US.

It´s because X has a much better difficulty curve. Also, it has a kinda easy storyline, and it´s easy to play. The menus are easy to use and it has many more funtions than Black 2, White 2 or previous. Not that I played B2/W2, but I´ve seen Lets Plays of it and it did seem a lot more complicated. X has a much easier gameplay, with enough info in the texts of NPC´s to know what to do, and leveling up is easy, due to the Exp Share, but also because each time you unlock a new route, the wild Pokémon found there will be (expected to be at least) around the same Level as your Pokémon, so if you have taken the time to train your Pokémon up to around the highest level that the mon will obey you (which is around 35 after you beat Viola, and around 80 when you beat Valerie) it´s a piece of cake. But of course having overleveled Pokémon is not much fun as the battles in the storyline won´t be a challenge, and challenge is what we want. US is for me not much fun, because the difficulty raises too quick during the storyline because the NPC´s mons´ level raises quicker. And because of the fact that your Pokémon gain much less Exp for battles with wild mons than in X, the difficulty curve doesn´t quite fit. Also, I personally find the lay-out of the menus, the speech bubbles and all not suiting. It´s too colorful for me. Also, the storyline in X is a lot more interesting if you ask me.

I just bought Pokémon Y, yesterday actually, and I can´t wait to play it!

In my opinion X or Y are the best choice. The next one on my list is OR/AS just because of the Mega Evolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.