Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Pokemon shouldn't work.

RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By RossF

The formula for a pokemon games should just not work. 

Catch pokemon, train pokemon , fight trainer. 

Especially considering the last 2 in that sequence are usually completed by continually pressing A and then walking back and fourth to a poke centre. 

I can only put the insane popularity of the games down to some kind of witch magic. 

Today I added my 30th hour to SoulSilver...

RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RossF

The formula for a pokemon games should just not work. 

Catch pokemon, train pokemon , fight trainer. 

Especially considering the last 2 in that sequence are usually completed by continually pressing A and then walking back and fourth to a poke centre. 

I can only put the insane popularity of the games down to some kind of witch magic. 

Today I added my 30th hour to SoulSilver...

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well considering how incredibly popular the games are, pretty sure the formula works.

Oh yeah and welcome to GB.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

It woks because at the end of it all you kick your friend's ass.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

It shouldn't but it does...and I still hope for better, but it'll never come, yet I'll still succumb to the urge to catch em....catch em all.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " It shouldn't but it does...and I still hope for better, but it'll never come, yet I'll still succumb to the urge to catch em....catch em all. "
    Well didn't they say there going to finally revamp the system with Black/White?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

There's a reason the strapline is "Gotta catch 'em all!" and not "Gotta beat all the trainers!".  Pokemon = Loot, it's as simple as that.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
    NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By NikoAlexander57

Catching pokemon is worse than getting achievements. Ohhh I want that one. Wait I NEED that one, etc.

RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RossF
    @Jimbo: 

Yeah sure I get that, but even the catching of pokemon seems fairly monotonous. Shuffling around in grass forever until that one your waiting for appears shouldn't be fun. But it is! 

Witch magic.

I guess it's just the need for completion that drives you on.
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @DuhQbnSiLo:  Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum was supposed to have revamped parts of the system but it didn't. it just slightly expanded on everything. (Poketch is nothing new except for it's touch screen functionalty, it's basically Pokegear but with "apps")
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Supermarius
    @RossF:  well, the raredrop/rarespawn/random loot motif is sort of a brain hack. It taps into the way the human/mammal brain works. If you give a mouse food every time it hits a button, it will only hit the button when its hungry, then stop. If you make the button only give out food at random numbers of presses, the mouse will press the button all the time.  This is the same sort of thing that mmo's or farmville use where they contain elements that are not necessarily "fun" but are psychologically addicting. I like pokemon and have over 100 hours in soul silver, but this is totally a part of the appeal of the pokemon games. Any time you think, "hey, ill just get into a couple more random encounters because the next one could be a shiny or a roaming legendary" you are being motivated by the same psychological need that makes slot machine gamblers say "hey, im gonna play a couple more times because the next pull could be the jackpot."
    RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RossF
    @Supermarius: 

Yeah that's true. You take a 30 second gamble on entering a random encounter just because there's a possibility something rare comes along. 30 seconds seems worth the chance, hence why you do it again and again maybe for even 15/20 minutes at a time.  

I think its funny just to think of how many hours gameplay a person who has collected all pokemon must have spent shuffling their little character about in the grass.
    Garfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Garfunkle

No Caption Provided
    Obviously, pokemon shouldn't work.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This reminds me this blog from aaaaages ago by MattBodega. He breaks down exactly why pokemon works. He explains it brilliantly.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By Deusoma

Personally, it hasn't worked for me since the original Silver. I got Platinum recently and it just isn't fun anymore. :P

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo:  Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum was supposed to have revamped parts of the system but it didn't. it just slightly expanded on everything. (Poketch is nothing new except for it's touch screen functionalty, it's basically Pokegear but with "apps") "
    Pretty much but Pokemon was always been for little kids, 1st Gen fans will never get what we want. Thats why they have made new pokemon and forgotten about the old generation. 
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure

Erm, honestly there is a lot more to do in the games than what your original post suggests. Catching, training, and battling trainers is just a small part of it. For example one of my favorite aspects of the games since Gold/Silver has been exploring. There are a lot of nooks and crannies that serve no purpose other than to see what's there or maybe some small hold item or something of the like. Saying it's all about fighting/catching/training is generalizing way to much.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Animasta
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo:  Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum was supposed to have revamped parts of the system but it didn't. it just slightly expanded on everything. (Poketch is nothing new except for it's touch screen functionalty, it's basically Pokegear but with "apps") "
    Pretty much but Pokemon was always been for little kids, 1st Gen fans will never get what we want. Thats why they have made new pokemon and forgotten about the old generation.  "
    they did fire red/ leaf green on GBA though?
    RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RossF
    @Zenaxzd: 

I wouldn't call catching training and battling a 'small' part of Pokemon, its the main concept of the game. Sure there's exploring and items to find aside from the main path through the game, but I just find it interesting how such a simple concept can be so addictive even without those elements.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @RossF: It may be the main concept of the game but it isn't the only part like your post implies. And exploring was just one small example. There is a plethora of things to do in the series, it isn't just the combat and training that brings people back time and time again. 
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Laketown said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @Scarlet_Rogue said:
    Pretty much but Pokemon was always been for little kids, 1st Gen fans will never get what we want. Thats why they have made new pokemon and forgotten about the old generation.  "
    they did fire red/ leaf green on GBA though? "
    that was back when we were older but not too old, by now, were so far off nintendo's radar its not even beeping.
    RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RossF
    @Zenaxzd: 

Yeah sure It isn't the only part. What my post is trying to say is that formula is the core of the game and a game based on what seems so boring just shouldnt work. Your point about it being all the other small adventure and collection parts to the game which help make it so addictive is probably very true though. I guess that helps to separate out the grind.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

By the same logic more or less every RPG ever created shouldn't work. The matter of the fact is we know these mechanics are addicting and if we see how they've captivated people in the past we know Pokemon should work.

RossF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RossF
    @Gamer_152: 

I think a most RPGs have a more complex fighting system and character development than pokemon. Pokemon seems one of the most simple to still appeal to some modern gamers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.