Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Prophetic, or just plain wrong? lol

Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So I'm accustomed to having rather detailed and vivid dreams that occasionally take me a few moments after waking to knowledge as fantasy (most of which, I'm not ashamed to admit, are made of awesome and win! I battled zombies with Bruce Campbell, man!). When I'm sick, they apparently get weirder. Last night I found myself deep in Pokemon land, wandering across an epic landscape, battling other trainers (crushing them to dust!) with my fearsome Charizard, Golduck, and Buneary (it was a fever dream, so please forgive me that last one...).

The thing is, the world wasn't 'realistic' - as in, we weren't magically transported to Kanto or anything - but was in fact a cyber-world where trainers from all over the globe could meet and quest and battle without leaving the comfort of their own rooms. Yes, that's right. I dreamed about the Pokemon MMO!

Seriously, WTF? I haven't even played hat game in months. lol. But it did get me thinking: a Pokemon MMO might work pretty well. The structure of the game as is is pretty much a 'pass a random trainer, battle them, move on' one, so why not make those random trainers real random trainers? There might actually be some value then in building your squad stats a certain way, and having different teams for different regions. And there could be a tournament system, and co-op battling.....   I think with a little re-jigging of the main objective 9not everyone can be number one, but everyone could beat the elite 4, etc) it could be pretty fun. Not that I'd pay for it, mind you. Well, not a tenner a month anyway, but still, it's a thought.

Remember peeps, if it happens, you heard it here first! And I will then move on to predicting lotto numbers....lol 

Peace.

Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By theuncannygiraffe

So I'm accustomed to having rather detailed and vivid dreams that occasionally take me a few moments after waking to knowledge as fantasy (most of which, I'm not ashamed to admit, are made of awesome and win! I battled zombies with Bruce Campbell, man!). When I'm sick, they apparently get weirder. Last night I found myself deep in Pokemon land, wandering across an epic landscape, battling other trainers (crushing them to dust!) with my fearsome Charizard, Golduck, and Buneary (it was a fever dream, so please forgive me that last one...).

The thing is, the world wasn't 'realistic' - as in, we weren't magically transported to Kanto or anything - but was in fact a cyber-world where trainers from all over the globe could meet and quest and battle without leaving the comfort of their own rooms. Yes, that's right. I dreamed about the Pokemon MMO!

Seriously, WTF? I haven't even played hat game in months. lol. But it did get me thinking: a Pokemon MMO might work pretty well. The structure of the game as is is pretty much a 'pass a random trainer, battle them, move on' one, so why not make those random trainers real random trainers? There might actually be some value then in building your squad stats a certain way, and having different teams for different regions. And there could be a tournament system, and co-op battling.....   I think with a little re-jigging of the main objective 9not everyone can be number one, but everyone could beat the elite 4, etc) it could be pretty fun. Not that I'd pay for it, mind you. Well, not a tenner a month anyway, but still, it's a thought.

Remember peeps, if it happens, you heard it here first! And I will then move on to predicting lotto numbers....lol 

Peace.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

I've actually heard this possibility discussed before. I wholeheartedly support it, though I'd never be caught dead playing a Pokemon MMO anywhere that might even be remotely considered "public". The game is a superbly crafted and balanced RPG, despite its kiddy trappings. I give this idea a 4/5. Do it, Nintendo. Do it.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By AndrewGaspar

There was an unofficial 2D Pokemon MMO called Pokemon Crater. I believe it got shut down a few months ago.

Unfortunately, a Pokemon MMO would require Nintendo to make new assets instead of just copying and pasting the old game and drawing a few new sprites. That's not how Nintendo works. =P

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Discorsi

Lol when i first started reading i was thinking of a Pokemon Battle Network game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.