Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

The Most Wasted Franchise in the History of Gaming

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Nintendo, said it didn't need online, that you didn't need online play to have fun. For the most part, they were right, the Wii sold amazingly to the surprise of many, including me. Where they were wrong in all this was, they had one off gaming more successful franchise ever, Pokemon. When the Wii came out, Pokemon wasn't at its prime but was at the point that it needed a boost, like Mario received 3D. What did Pokemon need? simple, the one thing Nintendo "didn't need", online! I can find very few people, almost none, that would disagree that Pokemon could possibly destroy even WoW if it was online. For years we captured and raised our pokemon for what? To fight! All we ever wanted to do what fight them against are friends and people around the world. When the current generation consoles were announced, all you heard from gamers was Pokemon MMO, over and over, but Nintendo shot all that done when they said the Wii wasn't going online. Looking back at it now, Nintendo let a Juggernaut die out  and become just a well known hand-held game.  I think there love for Mario doesn't want to let Mario fall from #1, but Pikachu at one point was more known then even Mario. Nintendo will never have to bite there words because the Wii didn't fail. But were all left with the "what if", Where would be now if the Wii had a Pokemon MMO? It would change the direction of many games fighting Pokemon for gamers attention. In my opinion it would have taken this generation by storm. Nintendo would win this war easily. What do you guys think?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Nintendo, said it didn't need online, that you didn't need online play to have fun. For the most part, they were right, the Wii sold amazingly to the surprise of many, including me. Where they were wrong in all this was, they had one off gaming more successful franchise ever, Pokemon. When the Wii came out, Pokemon wasn't at its prime but was at the point that it needed a boost, like Mario received 3D. What did Pokemon need? simple, the one thing Nintendo "didn't need", online! I can find very few people, almost none, that would disagree that Pokemon could possibly destroy even WoW if it was online. For years we captured and raised our pokemon for what? To fight! All we ever wanted to do what fight them against are friends and people around the world. When the current generation consoles were announced, all you heard from gamers was Pokemon MMO, over and over, but Nintendo shot all that done when they said the Wii wasn't going online. Looking back at it now, Nintendo let a Juggernaut die out  and become just a well known hand-held game.  I think there love for Mario doesn't want to let Mario fall from #1, but Pikachu at one point was more known then even Mario. Nintendo will never have to bite there words because the Wii didn't fail. But were all left with the "what if", Where would be now if the Wii had a Pokemon MMO? It would change the direction of many games fighting Pokemon for gamers attention. In my opinion it would have taken this generation by storm. Nintendo would win this war easily. What do you guys think?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

When i was a kid, I thought of fighting other people's pokemon on the gameboy mostly as a novelty, it was not important, trading with others was though.  All that was missing from my childhood was a console Pokemon RPG.  Thats what I wanted, for the game to look amazing.  Instead we got Pokemon Snap and that Battle only game.  Where was the RPG?  Thats what I loved about Pokemon.
    Oh well, I wouldnt say its wasted though, I mean, with it selling a few million, i think Nintendo knows how to handle this baby.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Toxin066

I agree that the Pokemon series is being wasted in a sense. To me, it is becoming a sports game the way it keeps getting releases without some kind of major innovation.  A transition to 3D and the implementation of some sort of online mode besides a basic battle mode would do wonders for both the franchise and Nintendo.

I do think you're on to something though. If Nintendo put some power behind pokemon, they could create an unstoppable juggernaut of a franchise.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I have to massively disagree, while I do agree that the series badly needs some evolution (no pun intended) taking it online isn't the way to do it.

Pokemon is primarily a kids game.  Turning that into a huge online environment is pretty much always going to end in disaster, especially when mixed in with the more serious players.  You'd end up with many of the younger players being prayed upon for easy victories.  Being a turn based game makes it completely unsuitable for an MMO style of gameplay.  Battles require a lot of strategy and usually end up lasting quite a long time..  So how would this work?  If you're not that good at the game, you're going to end up getting beat by all the other players and making no progress.  And if it involves battling random NPC trainers and only meeting others at certain locations, then how is it different from the single player RPG's?

But the single biggest reason, which I'm sure many "hardcore" players would disagree with, is that the current battle system is fundamentally broken.  The EV/IV system promotes grinding rather than having any actual skill or strategy used, it removes the rock/paper/scissors gameplay and turns it into purely a numbers game - and that's why the online/competitive battling scene doesn't and will never work on any kind of serious competitve level, despite what a few deluded fans may believe.  At least until they change the core mechanics.

The current games already have areas where you can meet up to trade/chat/battle and even play a selection minigames online, why do we need more than this?
    I think what we really need is just a big, proper Pokemon game on the Wii, similar to Monster Hunter, but retaining the features and gameplay and makes Pokemon what it is.

rockenhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rockenhard

Pokemon isn't be wasted. It's sold 200 million units of games. I don't see how nintendo isn't getting any sucess out of it.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By JonathanMoore

After Pokemon Blue/Red and Gold/Silver, Pokemon was wasted. Nothing was new, nothing was funner than the original two series.

rockenhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By rockenhard
    @JonathanMoore: I still don't see how that was wasted. Don't be stubborn about it. Besides calling it the most wasted franchise in the world is a huge thing especially when they're are franchises that are most wasted.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By WickedCestus

Pokemon has had online, but not like an MMO. I wouldn't play it though, because I beat the Elite Four in Silver over 100 times and then was over Pokemon forever.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Blueman

Pokemon is the second most successful franchise in the history of videogames, behind only Mario. so no, they havn't wasted it's potential. Also, Pokemon's main demographic are children, and not many children would be willing to play an mmo. I would much prefer a console Pokemon game, that would be brilliant.
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zyn

Don't mess with teh Pokémans!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's never too late, man. Well, okay, maybe. I think most people have completely lost interest in Pokemon. I know I did about 10 years ago.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Afroman269
    @TheGreatGuero said:

" It's never too late, man. Well, okay, maybe. I think most people have completely lost interest in Pokemon. I know I did about 10 years ago. "

You are sadly mistaken. Pokemon can still hold the attention of many people.  Even those that grew up. I personally am still enjoying them since my childhood when I first got Blue Version (Yes I know the games haven't changed much at all) but I would be very excited to see things change up or see some online community for battles to be held.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By agentboolen
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:

" Nintendo, said it didn't need online, that you didn't need online play to have fun. For the most part, they were right, the Wii sold amazingly to the surprise of many, including me. Where they were wrong in all this was, they had one off gaming more successful franchise ever, Pokemon. When the Wii came out, Pokemon wasn't at its prime but was at the point that it needed a boost, like Mario received 3D. What did Pokemon need? simple, the one thing Nintendo "didn't need", online! I can find very few people, almost none, that would disagree that Pokemon could possibly destroy even WoW if it was online. For years we captured and raised our pokemon for what? To fight! All we ever wanted to do what fight them against are friends and people around the world. When the current generation consoles were announced, all you heard from gamers was Pokemon MMO, over and over, but Nintendo shot all that done when they said the Wii wasn't going online. Looking back at it now, Nintendo let a Juggernaut die out  and become just a well known hand-held game.  I think there love for Mario doesn't want to let Mario fall from #1, but Pikachu at one point was more known then even Mario. Nintendo will never have to bite there words because the Wii didn't fail. But were all left with the "what if", Where would be now if the Wii had a Pokemon MMO? It would change the direction of many games fighting Pokemon for gamers attention. In my opinion it would have taken this generation by storm. Nintendo would win this war easily. What do you guys think? "

They were wrong that system does need online gaming!!!  I think most of there 1st year sales where expecting more online games, and now most people are just disappointed with the Wii.  There is no way Nintendo can keep doing no online modes for there games, its going to get ugly in the next generation of systems if they think they can stay with that thought.  And for the record New Super Mario Bros Wii should have had online mulitplayer!!!  For Pokemon who cares   lol
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Afroman269: Really, I'm all for a Pokemon MMO. It sounds like a great idea to me. Though considering Pokemon's biggest audience is real young, and MMO's are ridiculously expensive, I wonder how that would pan out. 

Anyway, I find it doubtful it would happen on the Wii, but hey, maybe Nintendo's next console could do it. Still, I think now would be a good time for them to try to bring some life back to the franchise. Pokemon really hasn't been such a popular game series for a long time. Sure, it's got a big following, but Pokemon certainly hasn't been in the spotlight for years.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I agree that Pokemon as a franchise has been wasted, but that's really only because they haven't advanced the series much beyond Gold/Silver/Crystal and instead have stuck to the same conservative design tropes that have been around since the first games with few improvements (For the record, Contests don't count as improvement). It feels almost like a sports game in a way: They add some more faces to the roster and tweak certain mechanics, but in the end you are still playing the same game with a new coat of paint.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Money.  They don't care about what you think or any of the people who would hope for the stuff you do.  They still sell millions of units per game and that's all that matters to them.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JonathanMoore
    @rockenhard said:
    " @JonathanMoore: I still don't see how that was wasted. Don't be stubborn about it. Besides calling it the most wasted franchise in the world is a huge thing especially when they're are franchises that are most wasted. "
    Look all I'm saying is Pokemon Red/Blue was a new thing, the premise hadn't been done yet and all the Pokemon were inventive and imaginative, Gold/Silver followed in the footsteps of the original, adding a whole new area to the adventure, why shocking everyone that played it when you found out you could go through Red/Blue again! I mean that was awesome.

Then Ruby/Sapphire came and why it was still an alright game, it pailed in comparison, the Pokemon were lame and really that's all I need to say, after all we mainly played it because the Pokemon were awesome and we loved training them up and becoming the number 1 Pokemon Master right?... Well, Diamond/Pearl kind of went in the same direction as Ruby/Sapphire, except this time we expected something more because it was on a brand new system, the DS for christ sakes!... well, we didn't get what we wanted.

At least in my opinion. Also I never said it was the most wasted franchise, the OP said that and, I wasn't being stubborn about it, just stressing my opinion... you know, on a Forum... cause that's what people do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.