Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Where to start with pokemon?

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I have never played a pokemon game, and have very little understanding of the games and would like to ask which game I should start with (3DS or DS preferably).

I have just ordered a new 3ds and would like to at least give pokemon a chance, I really don’t understand how the games are released there seems to be 2 X&Y, BLACK&WHITE. The reviews I have read treat them as one game but there are 2 different games, what are the differences? None of the reviews I have read explain this and I’m at a loss as to why.

Help a old confused duder understand pokemon.

Thanks

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Hunter5024

There are two different versions of most Pokemon games. For the most part they're identical, except some Pokemon are exclusive to whichever version you get. They do this to encourage trading between players. If I were you I'd start with X or Y, because they're the newest and some of the best. It doesn't matter which one you choose, so just pick whichever one you think has a cooler Pokemon on the cover.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

They are completely interchangeable. As hunter explained, there are 4 or 5 pokemon in each version that will be unavailable to you for each version (to promote trading) but everything else will be the same. Considering we're now on generation 8 or something, and all the pokemon look completely bananas, it shouldn't make much difference. Just find the newest generation and then flip a coin.

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for clearing that up, pokemon Y it is. Got no idea what's on the cover but it looks mean as sin.

pokemon for the out side looks like complete madness :)

Thanks again @sweep and @hunter5024

Warren2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Warren2007

@ianmac: I would pick up one of the newest ones like people have said, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby are the newest pair to be released. They are the first time we have seen a major update to the formula and they are probably the best Pokemon games yet. As for which one to buy of the two, just pick up the one you think has a better monster on the cover, as that is sort of the big bad end game thing.

Also don't worry about the differences between versions, the internet made it sort of meaningless. It's just a hangover from when you needed a link cable to hook up two Game Boys

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7 sweep  Moderator

It's pronounced "pacman"

No it isn't.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Start with the TV show.

You can't get into Pokemon without knowing those lyrics.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ianmac: I would pick up one of the newest ones like people have said, Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby are the newest pair to be released. They are the first time we have seen a major update to the formula and they are probably the best Pokemon games yet. As for which one to buy of the two, just pick up the one you think has a better monster on the cover, as that is sort of the big bad end game thing.

Also don't worry about the differences between versions, the internet made it sort of meaningless. It's just a hangover from when you needed a link cable to hook up two Game Boys

Personally I'd recommend X and Y over Ruby and Sapphire, since they're remakes of older games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.