Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Why can't Nintendo make a proper Pokemon game for console?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tebbit

All I ask is that they take the basic Pokemon premise of "Gotta Catch Em All", in a large, open-ish world. Bam, done. 
    Instead, in what almost every other company does the other way around, Nintendo consoles get stuck with the crappy additional cotent, spin-offs and mini-game collections (not that the mini-game collections in Pokemon Stadium 1and 2 weren't awesome). 

Anyway, what's been stopping Nintendo all these years? Imagine Pokemon Black and White for the DS, with Pokemon Racial Equality or whatever the hell they want to call it coming out on Wii at the same time? Sure, it might cannibalise the DS versions, but it would sell truckloads. They don't even need to release it at the same time as the DS versions. Make it a special edition. WHATEVER! 

Does anyone know why they havn't done this, or why they shouldn't? 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

It'd take them a fuckton of time to model, animate, and add AI to...what?  Over 500 Pokemon?  Not gonna happen.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have been dreaming of a game like that for forever. Nintendo needs to make it happen eventually.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By yinstarrunner

See, I think you're wrong. I don't think a proper Pokemon game on consoles would necessarily outsell the handheld versions of the game enough to make it a worthy financial decision.  I think it would be kind of neat to see one, but Pokemon has its market in the portable space, and I think it fits there well.  It's cheap as dirt to make, it has a dedicated fanbase, and the gameplay just fits well on a handheld.

Now, a Pokemon MMO on the other hand...

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mcfart

I can see a console Pokemon do well, but a MMO won't work on the Wii, with its friend-code garbage.

As others have said, a real Pokemon game on the console won't really be considered until Nintendo can see a reason to make money on it (moreso then handheld pokeman).

I might see Nintendo releasing a open-world Pokemon with the debut of the Wii 2, to push console sales...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Trilogy

I've wanted a console pokemon game for so long that I forgot that I ever wanted one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Trilogy said:
    " I've wanted a console pokemon game for so long that I forgot that I ever wanted one. "
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By DanielJW
    @Trilogy said:
    " I've wanted a console pokemon game for so long that I forgot that I ever wanted one. "
    I never forgot. I want it so bad it hurts. 
    lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lolicanseeyou
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Trilogy said:
    "
    Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Alex_Murphy

It would probably cost them about five to ten times the money it costs to make a DS game. And the DS games sell so huge, they'd rather make five huge selling DS games than one huge selling console game. Not to mention that Pokemon recycles it's plots more than Dragon Ball Z. I think if they did make a Pokemon game for a console, people would expect a lot more than what they'll settle for in a handheld game.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ratcabbage

Nintendo is a trend-setting company. We can't tell Nintendo what we want, they tell us what we want. Therefore, since Nintendo isn't making Pokemon for consoles, it must mean that's not actually what we want. It means that what we really want is... a vitality sensor! Wow, I didn't even know I wanted that! And to think, we could have ended up with a Pokemon game for the Wii. It's a good thing Nintendo knows us better than we know ourselves.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    @Ratcabbage said:
    " Nintendo is a trend-setting company. We can't tell Nintendo what we want, they tell us what we want."
    Nintendo told me I wanted a virtual boy, but I told them to fuck off and I bought a PlayStation.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Trilogy said: 
    @Tebbit: 

I just remembered today that I want one.

I am just BAFFLED that no one has done this and before anyone starts talking about "aw its to much to animate and make" BULLSHIT there are plenty of games with a shit ton of stuff this is EASY EASY EASY If I made games I would have been on that concept like WHITE ON RICE I mean Come on its sooo obvious and it would sell even NOW after the poke craze is gone COME ON NINTENDO I HATE YOOOOU FOR NOT MAKING THIS! I dont care about the story you can skimp it all you want just give me an open world with PKMN Pllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Evilsbane
    @drag said:
    " They can, they're just not going to until it's worth their time i.e. when people stop buying the billions of the handhelds games incremental improvement upon incremental improvement.  "
    Worth their time? The moment has long past Pokemon handheld games do well because they are fun games the only thing waiting does is make people forget about pokeman and make the ones who do remember angry because its the next logical step to take with the franchise and they Effin REFUSE to listen.
    fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By fisher81

I actually wrote a letter about this to Nintendo Power a few years ago (and it was published). I said that Coliseum was alright, but I wanted a normal Pokemon game. They're response was that "XD Gale of Darkness" was coming out soon. in other words, Nintendo has no answer. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By Icemael

I've got a better question: why do people want a proper Pokemon game on console?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696

As soon as the handheld pokemon games stop making money. Basically to the point where they have to change the formula.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Icemael said:
    " I've got a better question: why do people want a proper Pokemon game on console? "
    That seems like a silly question, the mechanics are fun and would translate perfectly to an Open world style game the concept would be the same but just not 2D and instead of running through grass you would see the pokemon in their habitat just doing their thing and you run up and throw a ball at them after beating them the hell up, I think the only reason you would ask that question is if you just straight up don't like the pokemon games.
    sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By sawfish22

@OllyOxenFree:
    You mean the kind of work that other developers do?  Like proper RPG's on console and PC? 

No way that's possible...

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fwylo

If they made Pokemon Stadium again, and put a good single player in it, and brought it back to the original 151, and made the online battling good.  I would buy it no doubt.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

It makes sense for them not to waste the time developing it and instead focus all their innovation and world class think tanks onto making yet another Zelda game or a new Wii Sports that plays like a motion controlled flash game.

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By voodooterror

the core mechanics would have to be the same (battle system ect...) so i cant say im really fussed about one, id be happy enough with a good 3DS pokemon game

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Meowayne

1. Nintendo doesn't make Pokémon games, GameFreak/Creatures does.
    2. Why would they? They make retarded amounts of money by releasing new handheld iterations with 50 new monsters and 3 new gameplay mechanics every two years. Like, money that vomits money pregnant with money.

The only reason the handheld games are even great in the first place is that this is basically one good game that has been in constant development and improvement over a period of 15 years. 
    If there is one thing to say about the Pokémon developing and publishing process is that they can afford to be lazy and conservative as fuck. 

Look at how Japan has had simultanous multiple orgasms and a week of school / work off when it was announced that Black / White will feature Pokémon sprite animations.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Meowayne said:
    "2. Why would they? They make retarded amounts of money by releasing new handheld iterations with 50 new monsters and 3 new gameplay mechanics every two years. Like, money that vomits money pregnant with money."
    This isn't aimed directly at you but you seem like the person who'll give me the most reasonable answer. Why is it that when there's any talk of Bobby Kotick or Micro$oft (see what I did there) increasing games prices or charging for Xbox LIVE, it's a terrible thing and we demand boycotts but it's OK for Nintendo to grind out every last dollar and cent possible. Is it some kind of perceived GameCube revenge or something? 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Meowayne
    @HandsomeDead said:

" @Meowayne said:

"2. Why would they? They make retarded amounts of money by releasing new handheld iterations with 50 new monsters and 3 new gameplay mechanics every two years. Like, money that vomits money pregnant with money."
    This isn't aimed directly at you but you seem like the person who'll give me the most reasonable answer. Why is it that when there's any talk of Bobby Kotick or Micro$oft (see what I did there) increasing games prices or charging for Xbox LIVE, it's a terrible thing and we demand boycotts but it's OK for Nintendo to grind out every last dollar and cent possible. Is it some kind of perceived GameCube revenge or something?  "
    Where and how do you gather from my post that I think that that's okay? Also, fuck you for coming in here with the most trollish anti-Nintendo flaming ever and then requesting a "reasonable" response in your next post. :-)
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Meowayne said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" @Meowayne said:

This isn't aimed directly at you but you seem like the person who'll give me the most reasonable answer. Why is it that when there's any talk of Bobby Kotick or Micro$oft (see what I did there) increasing games prices or charging for Xbox LIVE, it's a terrible thing and we demand boycotts but it's OK for Nintendo to grind out every last dollar and cent possible. Is it some kind of perceived GameCube revenge or something?  "
    Where and how do you gather from my post that I think that that's okay? Also, fuck you for coming in here with the most trollish anti-Nintendo flaming ever and then requesting a "reasonable" response in your next post. :-) "
    I don't know, like I say, your post just put it in my mind after seeing it everywhere else. It seems like a justification for them not to make a console based Pokemon game simply because they're already making enough money from it and their relatively annual iterations. When a majority of their creepy fanbase act like Nintendo are the genre breaking, all original, pro-fun good guys of the industry, surely people should be wanting them to try new things and go in new directions but it seems from response here, and other threads I troll in, that as long as they make money and keep reaping nostalgia, it's all OK. It seems very conflicting to me.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By shadows_kill

xd gale of darkness is the best one we are goin to get most likely... i still think its pretty good but if they do make one on wii i hope its not like the one thats already on it and i hope they ditch the shadow pokemon..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.