No Longer backwards compatible

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hey Everyone,

This game is apparently no longer going to be playable on Xbox One, but will remainm playable on Xbox 360? Super strange.

As I own it, Microsoft gave me a code for hexic 2 instead. Weird.

First i've heard of a game that has had to leave the back compat program? Hopefully not a trend!

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/Poker-Smash-unavailable

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

That's weird.

Sad to hear this news for the game that was GBs first ever review

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 bigsocrates  Online

This sounds like someone screwed up the rights negotiation somewhere along the line. Possibly some embedded music rights or other licensed asset that didn't transfer over like they thought.

People think that the rights management is as simple as getting the publisher's sign off, but there are all kinds of embedded contracts in a lot of games. If you license a music track for your game on the 360 that license might not be written in such a way that the game can be ported over (or emulated) on other systems. Then if you want to re-license the game as backwards compatible you need to re-license that music. The economics of something like Poker Smash going BC are pretty tight (how many more copies will they actually sell? 1,000? 2,000? That's probably a high estimate given that there's no real promotion and the game is largely forgotten, even if it is a good game.) The music rights holder (and I'm totally speculating that that's what it is) might not want to re-license cheaply, or it's possible that the rights holder is hard to find or difficult to determine (when a company goes bankrupt there isn't always a clear record of where their intellectual property goes.)

It's surprising Microsoft has gotten as many BC deals done as it has, and it's also the reason I think a lot of people are overly optimistic about what's coming to BC. There are too many games with very complicated rights arrangements, and the way Microsoft does BC means they probably need to have licenses to make a fresh copy of the game, in addition to wanting to clear rights in order to avoid alienating publishers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.