Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Polygonal 3D

Concept »

Who needs 2D when we've got 3D? 3D, or 3 dimensions, is what we're used to seeing in almost every game these days, letting us do all sorts of awesome stuff like run in circles!

If you can't make it good, make it 3D

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Aurelito

We  wouldn't and couldn't  call a video game "pretentious" before the 7th generation, but when games like MGs4 and CoD4  innocuously, but effectively, sacrificed an immense amount of their previous elements to attract new players and SELL MOAR, unfortunately, what shouldn't have to be done was done, and waves of pretentious games were on shelves, and players inevitably played them, until they forgot what a "good" game means. 

But we need extra adjectives for some games, pretentious hipster shit is what I call the games that use extra, but ineffectual effort to attract MOAR players .
     it's obvious that AI can't sense body movement with a million simultaneous motions, third party developers as always will not make good and decent games for a motion controller, and Three-dimensional is not going to work in games as it worked in movies. (and it did not worked good in movies neither)

These gadgets are embodiment of inability of developers in making original, new games, and I don't think that we will ever see a good game again.  retro gaming anyone?

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Aurelito

We  wouldn't and couldn't  call a video game "pretentious" before the 7th generation, but when games like MGs4 and CoD4  innocuously, but effectively, sacrificed an immense amount of their previous elements to attract new players and SELL MOAR, unfortunately, what shouldn't have to be done was done, and waves of pretentious games were on shelves, and players inevitably played them, until they forgot what a "good" game means. 

But we need extra adjectives for some games, pretentious hipster shit is what I call the games that use extra, but ineffectual effort to attract MOAR players .
     it's obvious that AI can't sense body movement with a million simultaneous motions, third party developers as always will not make good and decent games for a motion controller, and Three-dimensional is not going to work in games as it worked in movies. (and it did not worked good in movies neither)

These gadgets are embodiment of inability of developers in making original, new games, and I don't think that we will ever see a good game again.  retro gaming anyone?

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2  Edited By Symphony

Oh the irony of a pretentious post lambasting modern games for being pretentious.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aurelito
    @Symphony said:
    " Oh the irony of a pretentious post lambasting modern games for being pretentious. "
    On what logic the word "pretentious post" is predicated on?
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4  Edited By Symphony
    @Aurelito:   You're making outrageous and unfounded claims that games just ain't what they used to be and that it's all about the bottom line these days. Are you assuming Bobby Kotick speaks for the gaming industry as a whole or do you actually have some concrete evidence to support gross generalization?

I'm not a MGS fan myself, but even I realize what an oddity it is to say that MGS4 sacrificed an immense amount of their elements to attract new players. And I'm pretty sure CoD4 is revered as the best game in the franchise by many people -- reviewers and players, alike. And then how about games like Batman Arkham Asylum or Uncharted 2? The former is arguably the greatest comic book to video game cross over ever while the latter meshes movie-style storytelling with gameplay better than anything else I can think of.

Just because you don't like a game or think it is good doesn't mean it's bad or that gaming just ain't what it used to be. There are plenty of wonderful modern releases and there will continue to be in the future as long as people passionate about gaming become developers. When all of our games are made by robots, then I'll start to worry about the downfall of innovation in the gaming industry.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By kishan6

you guys should stop trying to use big words 
    nobody gives a fuck that u have a good vocabulary 

anyways as long as the extra gimmicks or features dont affect the quality of the actual game then who cares 
    killzone 3 has 3d and will still be awesome

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

You could (and should) say the same thing about pixel shaders, voice acting, HD, surround sound, and so on and so forth.

Yes. With continuing technical advancement, interactive storytelling did and does not get better but worse. Accept it, it is not going to change within the next 5-10 years.  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

The majority of the aspects of a game are designed to fluff the base mechanics and create a sum greater than the individual parts. Adding 3d is no different than making a game better looking. A game being better looking doesn't add to the gameplay mechanics any more than being 3d.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By dbz1995

Very few people who played and enjoyed MGS4 are people who did not play and enjoy its predecessors.
     Also, say what you want about Avatar, but its way of using 3D was outstanding. Why can't games do the same?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269
    @kishan6 said:
    " you guys should stop trying to use big words nobody gives a fuck that u have a good vocabulary  anyways as long as the extra gimmicks or features dont affect the quality of the actual game then who cares killzone 3 has 3d and will still be awesome "
    This. Your big words won't make your dicks any bigger. Games haven't reached the point in which most only promote 3D crap and gimmicks as a main selling point.
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aurelito
    @Symphony said:
    " @Aurelito:   You're making outrageous and unfounded claims that games just ain't what they used to be and that it's all about the bottom line these days. Are you assuming Bobby Kotick speaks for the gaming industry as a whole or do you actually have some concrete evidence to support gross generalization?  I'm not a MGS fan myself, but even I realize what an oddity it is to say that MGS4 sacrificed an immense amount of their elements to attract new players. And I'm pretty sure CoD4 is revered as the best game in the franchise by many people -- reviewers and players, alike. And then how about games like Batman Arkham Asylum or Uncharted 2? The former is arguably the greatest comic book to video game cross over ever while the latter meshes movie-style storytelling with gameplay better than anything else I can think of.  Just because you don't like a game or think it is good doesn't mean it's bad or that gaming just ain't what it used to be. There are plenty of wonderful modern releases and there will continue to be in the future as long as people passionate about gaming become developers. When all of our games are made by robots, then I'll start to worry about the downfall of innovation in the gaming industry. "
    Humans can also make dull and tedious things, like two aforementioned games, Batman and Uncharted. they're just glare of this generation's nadir, that is imitated gameplay (They took the whole manhood of Batman away by giving him gameplay of that husky girl's franchise) and pretentiousness, as mentioned in OP.  developers, unlike 80s,90s, and early 00s, can't be passionate anymore because they're all money making machines of first-party developers. 

@ryanwho said:
    " The majority of the aspects of a game are designed to fluff the base mechanics and create a sum greater than the individual parts. Adding 3d is no different than making a game better looking. A game being better looking doesn't add to the gameplay mechanics any more than being 3d. "

But, why after wave of 3D movies in cinema? 3D displays were available before these movies came out. (IIRC) and who actually saw a game in 3D, without polarization glasses?

@dbz1995 said:
    " Very few people who played and enjoyed MGS4 are people who did not play and enjoy its predecessors.  Also, say what you want about Avatar, but its way of using 3D was outstanding. Why can't games do the same? "

Technology that Avatar uses is far from games. so is its framerate. see how annoying it will be for games to  look like a collage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.