Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Another opportunity for Game Music "mainstream" recognition

vjdagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By vjdagger

I'm a bit iffy about writing this blog, as it only has a very slim connection to video games. Apologies in advance if this blog seems a bit of a ramble.

Whilst America has its national holiday (Independence Day) on July 4th, celebrating its independence from the British Empire, Australia has the very originally named "Australia Day" on January 26th, where boats filled with British criminals took over Aboriginal land. One of the few traditions that happen on Australia Day is the Triple J Hottest 100 countdown, a voting contest of Australia's favourite songs that were played on that radio station. It's a bit hard to describe what kind of radio station Triple J is, but basically it's an ad-free station that plays music that no other station plays or plays song before they become mainstream, and the genres they play tend to be varied (at least they used to be).

Anyways one of the songs that you are able to vote for is "Exile Vilify" by The National, an original song made for Portal 2. Seeing this, along with the Civilisation IV or V theme "Babu Yeti" winning a Grammy (although not a main award) it's cool to see that our favourite ever-evolving medium, in particular its hard working composers being recognised. If it does get into the top 100, I'm not expecting it to place high, but it will be cool nonetheless.

I promise that the next blog will talk about a different game, or a different topic, haven't decided yet.

vjdagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By vjdagger

I'm a bit iffy about writing this blog, as it only has a very slim connection to video games. Apologies in advance if this blog seems a bit of a ramble.

Whilst America has its national holiday (Independence Day) on July 4th, celebrating its independence from the British Empire, Australia has the very originally named "Australia Day" on January 26th, where boats filled with British criminals took over Aboriginal land. One of the few traditions that happen on Australia Day is the Triple J Hottest 100 countdown, a voting contest of Australia's favourite songs that were played on that radio station. It's a bit hard to describe what kind of radio station Triple J is, but basically it's an ad-free station that plays music that no other station plays or plays song before they become mainstream, and the genres they play tend to be varied (at least they used to be).

Anyways one of the songs that you are able to vote for is "Exile Vilify" by The National, an original song made for Portal 2. Seeing this, along with the Civilisation IV or V theme "Babu Yeti" winning a Grammy (although not a main award) it's cool to see that our favourite ever-evolving medium, in particular its hard working composers being recognised. If it does get into the top 100, I'm not expecting it to place high, but it will be cool nonetheless.

I promise that the next blog will talk about a different game, or a different topic, haven't decided yet.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By CptChiken

Triple J was the only channel we could get in the lumbermill i worked at in texas queensland all of last spring and summer, so i have a deep seated fondness for it because it stopped us from going mad.  

Unfortunately i doubt those songs will go very high in the list because from my experience Australians are way into their popy sort of music. Still its cool that they were nominated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.