Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Are People too Soft, Lazy, or Dumb Nowadays?

• 62 results
    G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

I much like everyone who bought the steam version of Portal 2, began playing it and finished it in a fever dream of gaming that lasted approximately 6 hours since its early release last night. There were times when I did get stuck, there were times when I was convinced the game had forgot to load a wall for me to throw a portal on, I experienced all of these things during my play through. 

But I got through it. It was tough in a few spots but I sucked it up and moved on to solve each puzzle. 

I wake up mid-day to see threads all over the forums asking "Help with Chamber ##" and "Can't solve this (POSSIBLE SPOILERS*)". I have to wonder, did these people even try to get through the game ? 

I am not an elitist or anything, but why do people even buy the games if not to experience the euphoria that is felt when you get past a troubling puzzle, or to stress there brain muscle a bit ? 

It seems like more and more people care only about getting to the final cut scene, rather than making their way through a game naturally. And that just makes me feel like a Sad Panda :(

No Caption Provided
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jking47

sounds like an elitist to me.

Everyone's brains work differently, maybe they have a more practical skill than figuring out portal puzzles. If they wanna get some help let them
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By phrosnite

Duh! Best games have 50/50 finish ratios so... games will be getting easier and shorter.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By ConstantRa1n

Keep in mind that most of these "people" you're referring to are probably under the age of ten. You can't expect much from a toddler mindset. lol

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @G0rd0nFr33m4n said:
    "It seems like more and more people care only about getting to the final cut scene, rather than making their way through a game naturally."
    i'm afraid thats the case for me, yes..
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

Level, Win/Loss record, K/D ratio, speed runs, leaderboards, achievements, high scores, completion percentage, story, bragging rights, OCD, number of games beaten to date, the list goes on and on.

What I'm saying is that different people derive pleasure from videogames in different ways - each as valid as the last.

I hope someday we all come to an understanding about this.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RsistncE

To clear this up for you: the vast majority of people are stupid as shit. 

Do the math:

Less than 1% of the human population will get through University/College...and half of those people are complete idiots also.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By craigbo180
    @G0rd0nFr33m4n said:
    " I am not an elitist or anything "
    :\
     i do agree with you the worst thing to do when stuck on a puzzle is look or ask for help on the internet, because afterwards it will seem so simple and you will always know...

That puzzle beat you.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Its a puzzle game. People should know what they're buying.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By herocide
    @ConstantRa1n: At about the age of ten, I was the better at video games than I probably ever have been since. I've gone and  replayed old games for nostalgia value, and half the time I end up asking myself how the hell I got so far in a game with my dumbass ten-year-old self.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By tearhead

Whatever. If someone is having troubles with one particular puzzle and it's preventing them from having fun with the rest of the game, I can understand them asking for help. As long as they're having fun, who cares.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bones8677

People asking for help on puzzles? Madness!
    Maybe some people wanted to be challenged, but after the 30th time trying they gave up and wanted some help? Getting stuck on a puzzle for x number of hours is not fun.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConstantRa1n
    @Herocide:  When I was a young gamer, I was terrible at anything outside of Mario. lol
    Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skunkboy72

yea because its only "nowadays" that people have searched for hints, gamefaqs, walkthroughs, etc.  NO ONE ever did that before this before.  NO. ONE.      

@G0rd0nFr33m4n said: 

I am not an elitist or anything

Also saying you are not "elitist or anything" pretty much guarantees that you are elitist.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @RsistncE said:
    " To clear this up for you: the vast majority of people are stupid as shit. 

Do the math:

Less than 1% of the human population will get through University/College...and half of those people are complete idiots also.
    "
    I graduated college a few weeks ago... fuck yes!

Also, I've never been a very good videogame puzzle solver.
    TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheHumanDove
    @RsistncE said:

Do the math:

"
    Yes, because only people who go to university are successful in life and intelligent.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RsistncE
    @TheHumanDove said:
    " @RsistncE said:

Do the math:

"
    Yes, because only people who go to university are successful in life and intelligent. "
    I'm just giving you a simple measure. All I'm saying is that the VAST majority of people aren't incredibly bright.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Skytylz

I remember games being hard as hell when I was little.  I don't get mad when people have trouble, you just sound like an asshole.  

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I'm stuck on a bit at the moment (non-spoilery clue: jizz) but I'll just take a break and take another look. Fuck cheating.

Also, I really hope everyone else is enjoying the certain example of irony going on in this thread as much as I am.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Sad panda? How relevant.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

You were able to finish the game while other people were not and required help.  Clearly you are a superior human specimen.  This requires a thread on the internet so that this discovery can be disseminated.

Rannos22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rannos22

Ironically, I had more trouble with those very first gel puzzles than almost anything else in the game. I even tried (in vain) to get help with them until I eventually figured out that I was making a much bigger problem outta the puzzle than it actually was. Apparently, portal physics still works along side repulsion gel physics, I don't know why my brain couldn't compute that...

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @G0rd0nFr33m4n said:
    " I much like everyone who bought the steam version of Portal 2, began playing it and finished it in a fever dream of gaming that lasted approximately 6 hours since its early release last night. There were times when I did get stuck, there were times when I was convinced the game had forgot to load a wall for me to throw a portal on, I experienced all of these things during my play through. 

But I got through it. It was tough in a few spots but I sucked it up and moved on to solve each puzzle. 

I wake up mid-day to see threads all over the forums asking "Help with Chamber ##" and "Can't solve this (POSSIBLE SPOILERS*)". I have to wonder, did these people even try to get through the game ? 

I am not an elitist or anything, but why do people even buy the games if not to experience the euphoria that is felt when you get past a troubling puzzle, or to stress there brain muscle a bit ? 

It seems like more and more people care only about getting to the final cut scene, rather than making their way through a game naturally. And that just makes me feel like a Sad Panda :(

No Caption Provided
    "
    Best way to describe this

Ever watched a quick look and YOU saw the answer but it took th guys about 10 mins to spot it...people see stuff in different ways. Some people might have issues with a certain puzzle. But then right away see the answer to the next one. Or even one thats supposed to be super hard. 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Obviously intelligence is based on Portal Puzzles.

Rannos22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rannos22
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " You were able to finish the game while other people were not and required help.  Clearly you are a superior human specimen.  This requires a thread on the internet so that this discovery can be disseminated. "
    I dunno, I bludgeoned my way through and I'm terrible at puzzles. I think the real point the OP is trying to make is that if people would take some time to calm down or maybe take a break (like I had to about once every two puzzles,) they'd solve it just fine on their own and feel all the more intelligent for doing so (or in my case stupid for not seeing the obvious solution.)
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chrissedoff

some people don't like having to scratch their heads for more than a few minutes. having grown up on sierra adventures before the existence of the internet, i'm not one of those people. but i can understand how being stumped can make a game less enjoyable.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Kyle

You suspected the game of not loading a wall and you're calling other people dumb? >_>

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

All of the above.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dingofighter

This is one of my favorite parts of the game, it wasn't so easy that you could breeze through it but it also wasn't so hard you didn't want to keep playing.

Everytime I got stuck I finally found the solution after a while and it felt really rewarding every time. It almost felt like the games puzzles were finetuned to my brain... That doesn't sound wierd, right?
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoeyRavn

It amazes me that some people still think that "gaming" is a monolithic structure in which you are either good or bad. I thought the game was fairly easy if you could "atune" your brain to the mechanics of the portals, fluids, ramps and everything else, but that doesn't mean other people will be able to do it as easily as me or many other GBers. That being said, I can't throw a punch in a fighting game without having to look at the controller to know which button I'm pressing. Jeff knows a fucking plethora of fatilies by heart. See what I mean?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By McGhee

I haven't played either of the Portal games, but I did beat BRAID with no help. How does the difficulty compare?

I'm trying to figure out how much smarter I am than everyone else, not that I'm an elitist or anything.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ectoplasma

I like your observation. I think it's true. But it's a matter of judgement. In the same vein you can say: Why don't people learn an instrument instead of playing video games (I'm just saying overall), it is much more rewarding. Or: Why don't people write a book or study a subject. All is more rewarding once you get through all the hurt and pain (which can be also sweet itself).  It is true: Your problem has a much smaller scale, much lesser effort. But I think it's video games themselves (besides other things), which lead us to become expectant of our experiences of reward. We want the reward NOW. I just wanted to add this observation to yours.
    If the world would turn to my command, we would still play games that handle like Fallout1 in terms of difficulty ;).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust

Time management.  If you only play a few hours a week, or even month, you don't have time to waste on overly difficult puzzles or trying to figure out how to progress.  When I encounter a problem in a game that even after trying to figure it out myself for a chunk of time, still eludes me I turn to the internet for answers.  The other option is put the game aside where, more than likely, it will be forgotten and remain unplayed.  Sometimes, I am looking for answers and other times, I just need a hint or even acknowledgment that I'm on the right track.  We play for fun and when we run into a wall, and can't play anymore, it's not fun.  People aren't any dumber than they used to be, although what they know is certainly different than it was in the past.  Lazier?  Maybe, but you could say that we're just more efficient.  If we have access to our collective internet-based intellect, why not use it to overcome difficulties?  "Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others."  I, personally don't get any pleasure from solving a particularly difficult puzzle.  I get frustration and then when solved, relief.  The combination is not fun and if encounter too often will sour me to a game.   There is a difference between something being challenging and something being obstructive.  

Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Immuniity

I am much the same way. I reached times where i'd fire my gun aimless hoping to create a portal on some invisible wall which would lead me to a secret shortcut through the puzzle, alas it never happened. Was the game hard, sorta but i was determined to finish it.

Its not disadvantage to me if people use a guide to go through the game, the only person it disadvantages is themselves. However, (blanket statement based off nothing but anecdotal evidence) people only like a challenge that takes 5 minutes to solve or can be slowly brute forced through. It's a lot to ask someone to look at a puzzle and not make any notable progress for 20 minutes, especially for people who arn't use to a game blocking them so abruptly.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I'm loving this game. I have got really really frustrasted with many parts, including some early parts, but like the OP, I got through them without needing to post for help.

The 1 issue I wanted to post was something that I worked out while taking a break and making a coffee, I wouldn't have found the answer that quick by posting anyway, I just needed to take time to think about the problem.

I think the point of this game is to learn to think about things differently with many exercises in lateral thinking. It is a very clever set of puzzles thrown together with an amusing storyline. So play it, get stuck, get frustrated and then take a break and start again.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By korolev

People haven't become less intelligent over the years. Again, our genes control our brain's development. We're born with the same set of tools our ancestors were born with. However, people are lazier. Why think about the puzzle when you can google it? Except there's no fun in that. 

True, some of the puzzles can become a bit hard (especially one of the last ones involving repulsion gel, three turrets, a funnel and a button to reverse the funnel. That one took me about 15-20 minutes of straight up staring at my screen to figure out, but it felt really good when I finally did. I was tempted to look up a few walk throughs, but I resisted. 

I'm damn sure that if you managed to graduate from high-school, or, hell, beat Portal1, then you're definitely intelligent enough to figure out the puzzles on your own. The issue isn't intelligence - Valve designed the puzzles to be tricky, they are supposed to be challenging (and illuminating - just about every puzzle is designed to teach you a new trick). So if people are struggling a bit, that's not really a problem. But laziness is a problem - people don't want to think. They hit a road-block, can't find a solution in one or two minutes, get frustrated, and then just say "GOOGLE! HELP ME!" 

But you know what, it's not really a problem. It's just a game after all. However, the reluctance to really knuckle-down and give a problem a lot of thought is a big issue. Google can't solve all problems for you. Especially problems that come up during the course of your job. 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ch13696

I don't know, but if there's going to be community puzzles, then I would expect them to be tougher. Anyways, I understand how you feel. It's a puzzle game. Solve it yourself and you'll feel better.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vodun
    @RsistncE said:

Do the math:

"
    If that is the case then it's because there are no forms of higher education available...in countries where those are it's closer to 30% these days.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @jking47 said:
    " sounds like an elitist to me."
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Azteck

Well don't you sound like an asshole?

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Deeveeus
    @G0rd0nFr33m4n said:
    " I much like everyone who bought the steam version of Portal 2, began playing it and finished it in a fever dream of gaming that lasted approximately 6 hours since its early release last night. There were times when I did get stuck, there were times when I was convinced the game had forgot to load a wall for me to throw a portal on, I experienced all of these things during my play through. 

No Caption Provided
    "
    As long as there have been video games there have been guides and people who never finish games....ease of access to item 1 helps group 2...let it go
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deeveeus
    @RsistncE said:
    " @TheHumanDove said:
    " @RsistncE said:

Do the math:

"
    Yes, because only people who go to university are successful in life and intelligent. "
    I'm just giving you a simple measure. All I'm saying is that the VAST majority of people aren't incredibly bright. "
    umm actually no....the median IQ is 100, which means that roughly half of the worlds people are at least somewhat bright
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @ryanwho said:
    " Its a puzzle game. People should know what they're buying. "
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By mfpantst

ehh- totally agree.  HOWEVER, I have a limited appetite for full-fledged puzzle games.  And an even more limited appetite for puzzle and platforming elements in a game not dedicated to that.  That being said, the frequency at which valve releases games pretty much satiates my appetite and I love the portal games.  I think I'm halfway in and I had one level that I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to solve.  And it wasn't a testing chamber.  But i worked out the answer and got past.  I honestly think that people who buy this game and don't expect to have to figure out puzzles are a little dense. 

I also don't think the puzzle design is not that obtuse.  the god of war series I hate because i consider those puzzles to be obtuse.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By mracoon

None of the puzzles are ridiculously hard but I did have to stop and think for a while on a couple of them. Usually the problem was that I was over-thinking things and the solution was much simpler and logical than I expected.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RavenX302

I find it interesting that one can judge someone's character and intelligence based solely on a game and how they enjoy it.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mars_Cleric

i just finished it and it took me a fair while
    i found that just as i was becoming frustrated with a puzzle i would find a solution

it was awesome and i hope it's not the last we see of the franchise

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @mracoon said:
    " None of the puzzles are ridiculously hard but I did have to stop and think for a while on a couple of them. Usually the problem was that I was over-thinking things and the solution was much simpler and logical than I expected. "
    Basically this.  I got stuck @ 15 / 19 and 16 / 19 and in both cases purely because I was overthinking stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.