Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

can I run Portal 2?

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By D34dM4n

I have been making an effort to try to get more into PC gaming. I have been playing TF2 with limited success. it chugs quite a bit and not sure if it is connection issues or just my PC is shit. that's why I am having some conflict over which version of Portal 2 I should get. I checked SystemRequirementsLab and they said I don't meet minimum system requirements (even though the stuff they say I need from my graphics card are matched and exceeded by my card) and Game Debate says that I can run it on lowest settings. Here are my PC's tech specs: 

CPU: Intel Pentium P6200 2.13GHz 
    RAM: 4GB 
    Video Card: Intel HD Graphics (According to SRL: 1.7 GB video ram, Hardware T&L, pixel shader version 4.0, vertex shader 4.0 and according to the Intel site DirectX 10 supported)

So I bring this to you, the Giant Bomb community. Do you think my system can run Portal 2 (even if it's on the lowest settings) or should I shell out the extra $30 and just get the console version?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I might be wrong but I think you would be able to run most modern games (perhaps not on the highest settings) and Valve's games usually run well on older computers so I don't see a problem.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Copied this from the Steam page of Portal 2:

• Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)
    • Memory: 1GB XP / 2GB Vista
    • Hard Disk Space: At least 7.6 GB of Space
    • Video: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b (ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher).
    • Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

From the specs you posted it looks like you have a Laptop, not a PC. If thats the case then you need to remember that Laptops under perform for gaming and it will be hit or miss regarding what games will work well and what ones wont unless you buy a Laptop made specifically for gaming. Also integrated GFX tend not to be supported officially. 

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BaneFireLord

I ran it on a 1.6 dual core processor with integrated graphics and 3 gigs of RAM with detail settings on high and full anti-aliasing at 30 frames per second. You'll be fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.