Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Digital launch for Portal 2 on PS3?

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

I don't know if any of you guys have heard the news, but Mass Effect 2 will be downloadable from PSN on day-1 of its release. 

That is pretty damn cool indeed, and is the way this industry should be moving. 

So with Portal 2, do you think Valve and Sony would release it as a day-1 download on PSN? I don't see why not, as Valve is very interested in digital distribution. 

Now, let's take this a step further... imagine a world where you buy Portal 2 from PSN, and then have access to it on your PC and Mac! 

Valve has a lot of incentive to do this, as it might prompt PS3 users to try out Steam. Sony might not be down for it... but it would be awesome. 

What do you guys think?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

Is it getting a physical release?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

As a dedicated console gamer, I don't really see the appeal of everything being download only. What if I want to let a friend borrow a game, or bring over to someone else's house? What if zombies are attacking? With digital games, I can only attack with the system, but with discs, I have that much more to use. 

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By face15

Mass Effect 2 is pretty clearly a test case. Depending on how well the digital version does we might start seeing more and more simultaneous digital/retail releases. 
     However, I think it is really unlikely that we will see a single cross-platform purchase on Portal 2, or any other game in the foreseeable future. 

@EVO: Portal 2 is a full price retail game. It is totally getting physical releases on 360, PS3 and PC.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

If I could pay one price for all three versions I will stop giving money to not Steam forever.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I hope not. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

It's sweet that we're moving in this direction, but for the rest of this generation, I'll be buying disc games wherever possible. I don't like the idea of having half my collection on a shelf, and half on a hard drive. I'm ready for the big change though, when the next generation of consoles rolls around, I'm going all digital if given the chance.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Demyx

My issue is space. I can't afford to upgrade my hdd, so it wouldn't be worth it for me to get this as a download.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

Isn't the PS3 getting Steam Support by the time Portal 2 hits?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andorski

+1 for the idea of buying one copy and then owning it regardless of platform.  Doubt it will happen though.  Seems way too pro-consumer without any added benefit to the retailer.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Jayross

Called it! Someone give me props for that...!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.