Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

How can I avoid spoilers in the future? (No Spoilers)

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDarktread

Should I just stop using the internet entirely or something? I just can't seem to figure out why I always get things spoiled before I even play them.

Since there is still no official way to get rid of YouTube comments without using an extension, or whatever they're called, in Google Chrome, when I clicked on a Portal 1 video just now, someone spoiled the plot of Portal 2 in an all capital unavoidable sentence right at the top of the comments. Honestly, I am so frustrated right now, as I knew ahead of time that I shouldn't have looked at anything Portal until I had completed the game; however in this case, I had already watched a few minutes of the video earlier with no trouble, and wanted to finish it.
    My order will be arriving on Tuesday from Amazon. I know that I'll be angry the whole way through the game now that the plot has been spoiled, assuming that the comment was accurate, which I'm sure it was. Why do people do things like that? Posting significant plot details before a game is even released is ridiculous. Come on. I urge anyone interested in Portal 2's storyline, which I'm sure all of you are, to stay away from anywhere that has the possibility of containing spoilers, such as this thread, even; that's definitely not an invitation for anyone to spoil the game, or any other game for that matter, on this thread though. Please, don't.

I've decided to stay off the internet until after I beat the game, just in case there is still something left that hasn't been ruined by the information I read, which I sort of doubt at this point. Goddammit.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Gabriel

I don't know what to tell you except that I learned to stay off forums and youtube, after a troll ruined both Heavy Rain and to an lesser extent (and by lesser I really could give less of a shit) FFXIII.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iDarktread
    @Gabriel: Yeah, Heavy Rain got spoiled by a YouTube comment as well, and I probably will never play that game now. Knights of the Old Republic was another one, and even though I bought it on a Steam sale in December, I still haven't even launched it.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By tebbit
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I really see spoilers unless I'm actually looking for them.

Why are you reading YouTube comments anyway? It's like a wasteland of perpetual shit.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iDarktread
    @GunslingerPanda: The sentence was in all capitals, and was right below the highest rated comments. That basically means that if I had clicked the video just seconds before I did, I would have avoided it all together. My eyes are somewhat darty, I think, in that they can scan a page quickly, which is bad on YouTube since they don't offer a real option to disable the comment section.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bocam

I have some good news for you, if it's the spoiler I think it is it isn't true.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iDarktread
    @Bocam: I hope so, whatever that means. And if you're saying what I think you saying, them I'm still sad, but maybe not. Thanks anyways, probably.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bocam
    @iDarktread:  You're talking about  Wheatley, right?
    smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By smitty86

This is exactly what happened to me with Heavy Rain. When to watch some clip or something and in all caps someone just wrote out the ending. The best thing to do is just avoid anything and everything that has to do with the game of the moment if you care at all about spoilers.  Hell a day ago someone here created a post that was just a video of the end of portal 2.  Why? Who knows. But the internet will always be a race to spoil games for you. The only other option that I have tried (as was already mentioned) is to just trick yourself into thinking that what ever you read it is just some more bs that someone posted and is not true at all. It is not much but it is something.

I will now leave this place as it could soon become a hot bed for said portal 2 spoilers.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

If you care so much, don't go on the internet after it gets leaked out.  It's Spring, and baseball season is up.  Go to the park in the city and play around with people, it's what I've been doing this weekend.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By unchained

If it's a game I'm really looking forward to, I stay off the game's individual message boards and will skip bits about it on podcasts. If the game is extremely highly anticipated by most people, I'll go on a complete media blackout and just catch up on my backlog for a month or so.  

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Take the ethernet cable and take it out of your computer, if you're using wireless internet take a hammer and smash the router.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iDarktread
    @Bocam: See you Wednesday, internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.