Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

I really don't like the box art

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fourby

The original Portal had very simple box art to go along with it's small scope, so naturally the sequel needed something with a tad more production value, but why the co-op bots of all things? The best reason I can come to is that valve wants to ensure people remember the bots if/when they come back around in the future, but I would enjoy looking at the cover much better if I got to see a nice environment with a few turrets and some foliage, or Chell doing something that Chell likes to do. Even with Portal 2's much larger focus, some art with less inherent action would really help complete the overall atmosphere the game relies on so much (at least for me).

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine

I agree. I don't find the box art appealing. It doesn't make much of a difference to me though.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By FesteringNeon

I honestly can't comment, because I don't have the game.. or think it's too much to look into.. but If I were designing it, I would have just went with this logo. I think everyone would have gotten the reference.  Probably why i'm not in marketing... but in this case, (ha) minimal outside, lush expansive game inside. I like the idea that you're going into it thinking, more of the same.. (if you haven't been following).. then  BAM.  But that could be just me. : /

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yeah, it seems to cheapen the game a bit. Maybe it's just because the co-op was never a selling point for me.

But really, it's Cover Art 101 to put the hot girl on the front of the package and the goofy robots on the back.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

Gosh entitled pc gamers jeez.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@bukkookkub said:
    " I honestly can't comment, because I don't have the game.. or think it's too much to look into.. but If I were designing it, I would have just went with this logo. I think everyone would have gotten the reference.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Cover art is for someone who's never heard of the game before. It's not to look nice, just to communicate what you do in the game and the tone of the whole thing. That's why minimalist arty covers are for collector's editions.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FesteringNeon

In terms of marketing, you're right.. but if we were to compare say.. books to games.. I think the minimalist logic still applies.  I don't disagree with what you're saying though.  I wonder why the thinking is this way. Isn't there any older great titles that took the minimalist approach and were still successful?

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By JJGIANT

I envision just a big picture of a potato, spotlighted and its raining. Live the heavy rain box art.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Wolverine said:
    " I agree. I don't find the box art appealing. It doesn't make much of a difference to me though. "
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By zero_

Valve knows that most people who have played Portal will buy and play Portal 2. They now must sell the concept quickly to new people walking around the Gamestore, and do so perfectly with the box art. Remember, Portal 1 had no proper box art because it was never sold by itself at retail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.