Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Is there Splitscreen?

valandil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By valandil

Is there splitscreen for the co-op campaign?

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 50

#2  Edited By strangeling

I haven't tried it yet, but it says,

"Play Cooperative Game
    Start an online or single-console splitscreen cooperative campaign."
    in my PS3 instruction manual.
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Deusx
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Yep.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @Deusx said:
    " Yes, you can play co-op on both the 360 and the ps3. If you want to play co-op on the pc with a game controller... follow this guide http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904

Its kinda tricky but once you figure it out its pretty easy to set up. Hope it helps.
    "
    Wow. That's awesome, thanks for the info.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " @Deusx said:
    " Yes, you can play co-op on both the 360 and the ps3. If you want to play co-op on the pc with a game controller... follow this guide http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904

Its kinda tricky but once you figure it out its pretty easy to set up. Hope it helps.
    "
    Wow. That's awesome, thanks for the info. "
    Badass!  Thanks for the heads up!
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @TwoLines: Yes, I'm high.  What an astute observation.  The only way I could come to that conclusion was through thought processes informed by use of illicit substances.

???
    Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TwoLines said:
    "
    @JoeyRavn: @HaltIamReptar:
    Are you guys high? "
    Happy 4/20!!!!!
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @TwoLines: I had no desire for split screen before I saw that post.  Literally, none.  Now that I know of its existence, I think, "Hey, rad.  I might get a buddy over here."  That is where my feelings on the matter begin and end.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @TwoLines: We're looking at it from two different points of view.  I don't give a poop about split screen on the PC.  One hundred percent apathetic.  It seems really weird to me.  But now that I know it's there, though ad-hoc, I'm only kind of interested in the novelty factor.
    delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By delorean99947
    @TwoLines: Has any PC game had split screen? Plus I don't think it's that big of a deal.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @TwoLines: I guess I should make it clear the bigger picture isn't important to me.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By iamjohn
    @TwoLines said:
    " @HaltIamReptar: I don't care about online. Like... ever. But if a game had online multiplayer on a console, and no online m-player on a PC, I'd be angry as hell.
    But, again, I seem to be living in the 90's. If there was no split screen at all, anywhere, I'd be okay with the whole situation. "Sure", I'd say, "it's 2011".

But this just feels cheap. I've lost a lot of respect for Valve.
    "
    Are you fucking kidding me?  Very few PC games have split-screen because the audience doesn't give a fuck.  The fact that they left it in there for anyone who wants to use it, even if you have to pull up the console to do it, is proof that Valve is pretty alright.  Really, the fact that this has somehow made you lose respect for them, completely ignoring the fact that it's an amazing fucking game with two brilliant campaigns, hooks for new content and they're literally giving people who buy the PS3 version a copy of the best version of the game FOR FREE, tells me your priorities are not in order.  That or you're just looking for reasons to hate Valve.
    NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NinjaPartTime

PC version and Console version should never be the same unless it's a horrible port job. Also, sitting in front of a tv with a console and a couple of controllers makes more sense than sitting in front of a tv or monitor with a couple of controllers or controller / keyboard & mouse. Doesn't mean nobody does that and that they should have done it the way they did for PC. I don't care because I would never use it, but I was obviously interested enough to come into this topic. Honestly, I'm surprised it has splitscreen (for PC) at all.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deusx
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @TwoLines said:
    " @HaltIamReptar: I don't care about online. Like... ever. But if a game had online multiplayer on a console, and no online m-player on a PC, I'd be angry as hell.
    But, again, I seem to be living in the 90's. If there was no split screen at all, anywhere, I'd be okay with the whole situation. "Sure", I'd say, "it's 2011".

"
    Are you fucking kidding me?  Very few PC games have split-screen because the audience doesn't give a fuck.  The fact that they left it in there for anyone who wants to use it, even if you have to pull up the console to do it, is proof that Valve is pretty alright.  Really, the fact that this has somehow made you lose respect for them, completely ignoring the fact that it's an amazing fucking game with two brilliant campaigns, hooks for new content and they're literally giving people who buy the PS3 version a copy of the best version of the game FOR FREE, tells me your priorities are not in order.  That or you're just looking for reasons to hate Valve. "
    Exactly, nobody plays split screen on a pc so I think that at least having the oportunity to do that with coding is something of value. 

@NinjaPartTime said:
    " PC version and Console version should never be the same unless it's a horrible port job. Also, sitting in front of a tv with a console and a couple of controllers makes more sense than sitting in front of a tv or monitor with a couple of controllers or controller / keyboard & mouse. Doesn't mean nobody does that and that they should have done it the way they did for PC. I don't care because I would never use it, but I was obviously interested enough to come into this topic. Honestly, I'm surprised it has splitscreen (for PC) at all. "
    This. Every console is different, every cosnole has its own strenghts and weaknesses. You cannot make a game that works EXACTLY the same for every console. 

Also I find it very funny that there are some people talking trash about the developer just because of this. The game speaks for itself I think. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @TwoLines: You need to calm the fuck down holy shit.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gike987
    @Deusx said:

" @iAmJohn said:

" @TwoLines said:

"
    Are you fucking kidding me?  Very few PC games have split-screen because the audience doesn't give a fuck.  The fact that they left it in there for anyone who wants to use it, even if you have to pull up the console to do it, is proof that Valve is pretty alright.  Really, the fact that this has somehow made you lose respect for them, completely ignoring the fact that it's an amazing fucking game with two brilliant campaigns, hooks for new content and they're literally giving people who buy the PS3 version a copy of the best version of the game FOR FREE, tells me your priorities are not in order.  That or you're just looking for reasons to hate Valve. "
    Exactly, nobody plays split screen on a pc so I think that at least having the oportunity to do that with coding is something of value. 

@NinjaPartTime

said:

" PC version and Console version should never be the same unless it's a horrible port job. Also, sitting in front of a tv with a console and a couple of controllers makes more sense than sitting in front of a tv or monitor with a couple of controllers or controller / keyboard & mouse. Doesn't mean nobody does that and that they should have done it the way they did for PC. I don't care because I would never use it, but I was obviously interested enough to come into this topic. Honestly, I'm surprised it has splitscreen (for PC) at all. "

This. Every console is different, every cosnole has its own strenghts and weaknesses. You cannot make a game that works EXACTLY the same for every console. 
    Also I find it very funny that there are some people talking trash about the developer just because of this. The game speaks for itself I think. 

"
    Nobody plays split screen on the PC because no developer cares enough to add it, so they can't even if they wanted to. It made sense to not include split screen 10 years ago. But almost every PC gamer I know owns a xbox 360 controller nowadays so I see no reason why not too include it.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn
    @gike987 said:
    " Nobody plays split screen on the PC because no developer cares enough to add it, so they can't even if they wanted to. It made sense to not include split screen 10 years ago. But almost every PC gamer I know owns a xbox 360 controller nowadays so I see no reason why not too include it. "
    With most games, getting the 360 controller is getting the short end of the stick.  Again, hence why most PC gamers don't care about splitscreen.
    Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deusx
    @gike987:
    Sorry I sent you a PM with this... I thought I was on the forums lol. 

Thats the thing... the pc was the first "console" to play online games... so it was the first that was deprived from a co-op play mode. If you think about that, it is not that developers didnt care to put it on the game but it was their way to try new things with online multiplayer and that was an exciting idea at the time. So it makes sense now not to have co-op on the pc. Not that I like that, its just how the pc evolved... and although the pc is very close to microsoft and the 360, it is a very different thing since not many people have a confortable place to use a computer as opposed to a console on a tv in front of a couch wich is alot better for co-op play.    
    delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By delorean99947
    @TwoLines: Yup, Valve likes the console gamers more even though the PC has the best version of TF2, HL2, HL, L4D2, L4D, Ect. And the PC versions get the free dlc while the Xbox users have to pay. I'm sorry, but that's just a stupid that a little thing like split-screen would make you think Valve cares about consoles more than PC, even though they made Steam for the PC and they don't have there own console. The PS3 or Xbox  version doesn't have the store to buy skins, yet we could care less. We still get great game. I'm surprised the console version has split-screen. NinjaPartTime is right, playing with 2 keyboards and 2 mouses would be weird. You say it's a small thing, which makes them care less for PC? It's probably hard to get a PC game split-screen, which is why you almost never see it nowadays. Just be prepared that no PC game from Valve, or any other developer will have split-screen in the future. if your the type of guy who wants to play split-screen with friends, get a console. PC is a online multiplayer type of community, not split-screen.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @TwoLines said:
    "
    @JoeyRavn: @HaltIamReptar:
    Are you guys high? That's not badass. That's absolutely pathetic. They went out of their way to strip the PC version of the splitscreen mode, you can't save or gain achievements.
    Awesome? Badass? Nope. That's a horrible way to play splitscreen. Without saving and with some pretty major bugs, I'd say it's better not to play it at all.
    "
    Wow, what an obnoxious reply. I'm dreadfully sorry that my opinion on a certain matter is not the same as yours. Granted, when I said something was "awesome", I was explicitly stating that I wouldn't ever again play the single player campaign or the online co-op, and that I would exclusively play the truncated local co-op. By any stretch of imagination was I implying that it was an interesting idea I would experiment with to see how it works. Obviously not.

In other words, mind your own business. And chill the fuck down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.