Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Map Editor Tricks, Tips, and Tutorials.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By D_W

I'm sure many of us have been spending the weekend making all sorts of nifty maps and I figured that people have probably figured out how to do some pretty interesting techniques and item combos to expand upon the limitations of the current editor. I know I have! SO Let's share them! 

Videos:

Laser Tricks:
    First off I'd like to show off a basic laser trick I figured out. 

Many other people came to a similar realization that you can do stuff like that in the editor way before I did admittedly.  Here's a link to that example map.

Using OR gates:

Here's a little map I made that shows one way to utilize an OR gate.  [link]

Using XOR gates:

Here's the link to the example Map: [link]

Combination Lock:
    Also I found this little video tutorial on how to use similar techniques to create an 4 button combination lock. 

The big list of maps:

Logic Circuit: 
    OR and XOR Logic Gates:

Timed Floor button:
    Cyclic and Timed events example:

I'll post more stuff as I find it!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I don't see any videos, but I'm guessing they're on YouTube. So I couldn't watch them even if I could see them.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PixelPrinny

Very cool tricks. :)

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Lokno

Oh, wow. Guess some people beat me to the punch with gate logic. It was a fun exercise to create that stuff myself, though. However, seems like my gates are less efficient. The 2-bit adder I constructed uses 13 lasers, which is really hard on performance. The echeese approach to XOR uses the same number of lasers, but no glass panels, which means it takes up less space. My OR gate uses one laser instead of two, but the output needs to be reversed, which requires a NOT gate if the output is going to be combined in a implicit AND operation at a target. However, if you just need an OR, you can save that extra laser.

Two Bits : A 2-bit Adder using lasers and glass panels

Edit: I've redone my level, and the logic by user echeese is frankly much more efficient than mine. They use as many lasers, but all of the lasers can be off, depending on the state, so overall there are far fewer lasers on at the same time in the new design.

Two Bits Remix

No Caption Provided
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By D_W

I updated the thread with a little OR Gate tutorial I did that includes a way to use them practically. I've seen a lot of people show how to make them, but not really how to use them. I should have one for an XOR gate up tomorrow.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By D_W

And now I've included a XOR gate example.

Max422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Max422

Check this :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.