Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 - Environmental References (Spoilers Likely Within)

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Rasgueado

So I'm about half way through Portal 2 at the moment, and I've been noticing lots of neat little references in the environment that provide cool colour to the levels you're playing. I thought it would be cool to have a discussion about some of the literary references noted in the game. So... here's one I noticed.

This takes place in the chapter called "The Fall." Once you've reached the bottom and explored a bit, you'll notice a large structure that is vaguely labelled "Tartaros 09" (basically Tartarus). In mythology, Tartarus is located as far below hades as the heavans are to the earth. Interestingly... this is Tartaros 09, or Dante might describe it as the ninth circle of hell. Just thought that was kind of cool.

Anyone else notice anything?
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

Didn't notice anything on my first playthrough, though I'll do a closer look on my next playthrough now that I know it's in there.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By captain_clayman

haha that is interesting.  i'll be sure to look for that stuff my next playthrough.  i'm not that observant the first time i play games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.