Portal 2 is basically GotY so far... right?

• 115 results
Posted by demontium (5084 posts) -

I mean, if you think about, nothing really competes with it on a serious level. MK9 is seriously a great revival and MvC3 is fun, but fighting games, like action movies, hit a wall as far as being the experience of the year. And what else is there? LittleBigPlanet 2 and Dead Space 2 seem to be the contenders, and in the future, zelda, duke nukem, Rage, Gears 3, inFamous 2, and Skyrim might pose something.... but as far as this year's gone, I suspect portal 2 is gonna be hitting the top of most people's lists. That is, unless you bought it on the 360.

#1 Posted by demontium (5084 posts) -

I mean, if you think about, nothing really competes with it on a serious level. MK9 is seriously a great revival and MvC3 is fun, but fighting games, like action movies, hit a wall as far as being the experience of the year. And what else is there? LittleBigPlanet 2 and Dead Space 2 seem to be the contenders, and in the future, zelda, duke nukem, Rage, Gears 3, inFamous 2, and Skyrim might pose something.... but as far as this year's gone, I suspect portal 2 is gonna be hitting the top of most people's lists. That is, unless you bought it on the 360.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

Portal 2 is kinda of useless on the PS3 right now. 

And what do you mean "unless you bought it on the 360" 
#3 Posted by Robiin (300 posts) -

Portal 2 will most definitley be high up there for me personally.

But I suspect Mass Effect 3 will top my GOTY list. Can't wait for it. Unless they tie up the Mass Effect story with clichés or some dumb ending, I don't see how it can't be GOTY. But still, Portal 2 was freaking fantastic.

#4 Posted by Pibo47 (3238 posts) -

Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, and Dead Space 2 are the contenders so far. But we still have Gears of War 3, Mass Effect 3, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, L.A. Noir, ect ect. This is gonna be a tough year for GOTY. Some serious shit is coming out...good year for games :)

#5 Posted by demontium (5084 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" Portal 2 is kinda of useless on the PS3 right now. 

"
the 360 is the worst port as far as loading times and visuals, and if you bought it on ps3 you have it on steam. 

I guess you can't play online on ps3 right now, but it's getting fixed and you can play the single play meanwhile.

IDK... I got it on steam so I'm fine haha.
#6 Edited by xyzygy (10595 posts) -

By the end of the year, no way. Remember we still have to see Dark Souls, LA Noire, and, of course, Skyrim.

And Skyward Sword.

@demontium: Lens of Truth gave the edge to the 360. EDIT: OH you're talking about Portal 2. For some reason I had thought you were talking about MK... weird :S

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (15101 posts) -

You lost me at Duke Nukem.

#8 Posted by ThatFrood (3472 posts) -

Where? On GiantBomb?
No, it won't win Goty. In fact, I'd say it's pretty clear it won't win.

#9 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

Easily GOTY for me. MK at some point got frustrating in the "these designers are assholes" kind of way where Portal 2 I could leave the game for a few hours and come back and solve the puzzle. And what else has even come out since January? Dragon Age 2? lolz

#10 Posted by unchained (1091 posts) -

For me personally, I'd probably place Mortal Kombat ahead of  Portal 2. That said, I loved Portal 2. 

Of course, I'm expecting both Witcher 2 and Skyrim (and Diablo III - hopefully) to be my contenders for GOTY.
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:

"
the 360 is the worst port as far as loading times and visuals, and if you bought it on ps3 you have it on steam. 

I guess you can't play online on ps3 right now, but it's getting fixed and you can play the single play meanwhile.

"
From what I heard 360 has the edge in graphics...
#12 Posted by delta_ass (3776 posts) -

I'd tend to give it to Crysis 2 by a smidge.

But the year's still young, as the saying goes.

#13 Posted by ThePickle (4571 posts) -

Skyrim, Uncharted 3, LA Noire, Battlefield 3, year ain't even close to over. 

#14 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3858 posts) -

No contest.

#15 Posted by Ramyun (695 posts) -

So far yes. But the big three, Uncharted 3, Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are coming out, and I can pretty much guarantee that at least one of them (if not all of them) will be amazing.

#16 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @demontium said:

"

"
From what I heard 360 has the edge in graphics... "
I really don't know why people give a shit about a game of inches like this. If playing the best looking version is important to you, play the PC version. If its not, why give a shit about which console version looks slightly better?
#17 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @demontium said:

"

"
I really don't know why people give a shit about a game of inches like this. If playing the best looking version is important to you, play the PC version. If its not, why give a shit about which console version looks slightly better? "
Lol, this. If you're that concerned with it throw that fucking console out the window and get a high end rig.
#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12633 posts) -

No, because Mortal Kombat and Yakuza 4 came out this year. 

And don't forget LittleBigPlanet 2. That game was super awesome. Maybe not so much at the moment with the PSN down, BUT STILL! 
#19 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @demontium said:
"

"
I really don't know why people give a shit about a game of inches like this. If playing the best looking version is important to you, play the PC version. If its not, why give a shit about which console version looks slightly better? "
Lol, this. If you're that concerned with it throw that fucking console out the window and get a high end rig. "
You just said Lens of truth gave the 360 the edge. I googled it to find the info. 
I would love to get a nice computer rig. But I do not have the money. 
#20 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Wow it seriously gave it to the 360? Weird. I thought they were going for PS3 optimization but oh well, it looks fine on both I'm 100% positive.
Avatar image for ravenousrattler
#21 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1420 posts) -

way too early for goty talk

#22 Posted by shadows_kill (3094 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
"
PC version is the best but on gamespot and lens of truth it has ps3 better by a landslide even though only difference is shadows really..
#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@shadows_kill said:
"
PC version is the best but on gamespot and lens of truth it has ps3 better by a landslide even though only difference is shadows really.. "
I am only going on what     xyzygy said. I did not find the lens of truth thing. Got tired of looking. Plus there was a new quick look up. 
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
#24 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6116 posts) -

Its what...april? Sure Portal 2 is a great game and its definitely a contender but way to early to tell. 

#25 Posted by Commisar123 (1957 posts) -

no

Avatar image for deranged_midget
#26 Posted by Deranged (2022 posts) -

MK doesn't get GOTY just because of Shao Khan *mutters incoherently"

I have high hopes for L.A. Noir and I wouldn't doubt if Gears of War 3 or Mass Effect 3 take the cake. 
Avatar image for captain_clayman
#27 Posted by captain_clayman (3349 posts) -

the year's barely even begun.  the game is fucking awesome but there's just so...SO many games ahead of us.  best puzzle game 2011 FO SHO tho.

#28 Posted by Geno (6767 posts) -

Definitely GotY for me. ME3 is the only thing that stands a chance to beat it. Earlier I thought it might've been Crysis 2, but as Crytek disappointed in almost every way possible, that went out the window quite fast. 

#29 Posted by spankingaddict (2977 posts) -

For most normal gamers Portal 2 should be, but for me...I just think LBP2 is too amazing to not get GOTY for me! :)

#30 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (419 posts) -

No, it has way too much to go up against and it came out so early they'd probably need a second play through near GOTY time. And portal is best the first time.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
#31 Posted by President_Barackbar (3641 posts) -

Its WAY too early to even consider it, not to mention you're kinda writing off MK as being not as good as Portal 2. I'm sorry, but when does a 5/5 review beat a 5/5 review hands down?

#32 Posted by Malakhii (1444 posts) -

So far Dead Space 2 was my favorite game this year.  

#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19845 posts) -

I did not find Portal 2 to be great so it certainly won't be my GotY.

#34 Posted by firewrkninja (255 posts) -

No.
Elder Scrolls 5, yo

#35 Posted by LiquidPrince (17073 posts) -

Maybe? Depends if Mass Effect 2 can be considered GOTY since it was released this year.

#36 Posted by defaulttag (904 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @demontium said:

"

"
Digital Foundry from Eurogamer says otherwise.
#37 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" Its WAY too early to even consider it, not to mention you're kinda writing off MK as being not as good as Portal 2. I'm sorry, but when does a 5/5 review beat a 5/5 review hands down? "
Um he's only speaking for himself. You know how opinions work, right? I made a flow chart.
#38 Posted by NekuCTR (1712 posts) -

So far. either that or Mortal Kombat, but dude... Skyrim and Unchated 3. Why even bother.

#39 Posted by habster3 (3685 posts) -

I would say so (both from reviews and personal experience).

#40 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5924 posts) -

Nope, still Ghost Trick for me.

#41 Edited by GJSmitty (686 posts) -

For me it is

#42 Edited by Icemael (6876 posts) -

So far, I guess, but I will be very surprised if Portal 2 is the game that gets the most GOTY awards at the end of the year. This is the year of Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, The Elder Scrolls V and Batman: Arkham City, and we aren't even past E3 yet -- for all we know, a couple more heavy hitters could be announced then. I guess it could win puzzle game of the year.

On my personal 2011 list, I expect it won't even make the top ten as it's already down at fifth.

#43 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @demontium said:

"

"
The 360 doesn't look only slightly worse, it looks a lot worse.  The 360 also has less in the way of online integration lacking Steam support because MS are essentially arseholes.
#44 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @demontium said:
"

"
The 360 doesn't look only slightly worse, it looks a lot worse.  The 360 also has less in the way of online integration lacking Steam support because MS are essentially arseholes. "
Steam doesnt mean anything for the PSN version right now.
Again read what xyzygy first said. He said Lens of truth said 360 was better. 

But back to topic...its not gonna make GOTY...to many other big titles coming out this year. 
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
#45 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

For me it is. For the Bombcrew, I'd say it's MK.

Or Cargo. I dunno :3

#46 Posted by Zabant (1544 posts) -

NO LOVE FOR GHOST TRICK?!

in all seriousness trying to call goty at this point is well, pointless.
#47 Posted by Edwardryu (445 posts) -

not too fast. you never know which will be GOTY. I am sure that Portal 2 won't be winner of GOTY. it has disadvantage.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
#48 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1560 posts) -

After playing a good amount of MK, I think Marvel is my GotY so far. I really liked Portal 2, but not as much as I've liked Marvel.

#49 Edited by Geno (6767 posts) -

Are people actually considering MK for GotY? I know it's supposed to be the best modern iteration so far, but c'mon, they're not even in the same league.

#50 Edited by p_p_o_d (576 posts) -

for me it is one of the most memorable games since ... well portal and for giantbomb I would guess its on the GOTY list

portal 2 spoilers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.