Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 possibly releasing on PC tomorrow (Apr 15)

sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sLiPdIsCo
    This came out of the ARG the other day. It got buried quickly and only a few sites, such as 1up mentioned it. 
    So if the ARG is successful we might be playing Portal 2 early on the PC.
    Follow the ARG here and here

Update: Morse code was found in the live recording of the Steamcast which repeats 
    "it's not over the others have been compromised".
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

I thought this was debunked by Valve.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

Something better happen tomorrow, because I've wasted so much time getting all these fucking potatoes.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

It was proven fake on the Valve forums already.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By l4wd0g

maybe the demo tomorrow?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder  Online
    @l4wd0g said:
    " maybe the demo tomorrow? "
    Yeah, actually that's what I was thinking, it does seem pretty strange to release it that early without properly notifying everyone.
    sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sLiPdIsCo
    @KaosAngel:  I didn't see any posts that 100% prove that it's fake. It is possible that I missed it.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

Half-Life 3 is coming out tomorrow guys.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I've heard that it was debunked by valve, but I haven't seen the post myself, and "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" is pretty blatant in hinting at an early release, since 7AM on the 19th is exactly when the steam download was supposed to activate. And it would make sense as a method of stopping people buying the PS3 version, activating the steam install and then selling the PS3 copy. If people can get it sooner on PC, they'd probably opt for that rather than the PS3 method.

sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sLiPdIsCo

A lot of people are claiming publishing deals wouldn't allow this, but maybe the free steam copy with the ps3 version could just be something to smooth this over with EA. If this does happen I would assume EA would have been aware of it along time ago.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

excitement 

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By jorbear

I really wish I understood what was going on at all...

Either way, I need my Portal 2 NOW.
    sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sLiPdIsCo

Worst part for me is that I signed up for work this weekend and took a couple days off next week to play portal. Can't complain too much considering I'll still get to play some this weekend (if the rumor is true) and have five days off next week to play.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MachoFantastico

Interesting! Am I correct in thinking that technically Valve could release Portal 2 on Steam whenever they wanted as they are not locked down to a publishers deal on Steam. So it wouldn't shock me. 

Sounds like something Valve would do. 
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Kyreo
    @FreakAche said:
    " Half-Life 3 is coming out tomorrow guys. "
    Don't toy with my emotions.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @TrueEnglishGent said:

" Interesting! Am I correct in thinking that technically Valve could release Portal 2 on Steam whenever they wanted as they are not locked down to a publishers deal on Steam. So it wouldn't shock me. 

Sounds like something Valve would do."

Well it depends how tight their publishing deal with EA is. I know if I was EA I wouldn't want valve releasing a digital version before the boxed version hit shelves, and I'd want that to be part of the contract when signing the publishing deal. But Valve are probably big enough at this point that they could tell EA that if they don't agree to their terms they'll find another publisher, and EA might have to back down unless they wanted to lose a publishing deal worth a considerable amount of money to a rival publisher.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By AlexW00d
    @MattyFTM said:
    " @TrueEnglishGent said:

" Interesting! Am I correct in thinking that technically Valve could release Portal 2 on Steam whenever they wanted as they are not locked down to a publishers deal on Steam. So it wouldn't shock me. 

Well it depends how tight their publishing deal with EA is. I know if I was EA I wouldn't want valve releasing a digital version before the boxed version hit shelves, and I'd want that to be part of the contract when signing the publishing deal. But Valve are probably big enough at this point that they could tell EA that if they don't agree to their terms they'll find another publisher, and EA might have to back down unless they wanted to lose a publishing deal worth a considerable amount of money to a rival publisher. "
    I'm pretty sure EA are just distributing the retail versions... As opposed to actually publishing it, I think Valve are publishing it themselves. That is what Wikipedia tells me.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @AlexW00d said:

" @MattyFTM said:

" @TrueEnglishGent said:

Well it depends how tight their publishing deal with EA is. I know if I was EA I wouldn't want valve releasing a digital version before the boxed version hit shelves, and I'd want that to be part of the contract when signing the publishing deal. But Valve are probably big enough at this point that they could tell EA that if they don't agree to their terms they'll find another publisher, and EA might have to back down unless they wanted to lose a publishing deal worth a considerable amount of money to a rival publisher. "
    I'm pretty sure EA are just distributing the retail versions... As opposed to actually publishing it, I think Valve are publishing it themselves. That is what Wikipedia tells me. "
    That's just semantics. Whether you call them distributors or publishers (which are more or less the same thing, with maybe a small handful of differences) there will definitely be complicated and convoluted legal documents between EA and Valve, and EA wouldn't want those agreements to allow valve to release the game via Steam prior to the retail version, which EA is distributing.
    sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sLiPdIsCo
    @MattyFTM said:

" @AlexW00d said:

" @MattyFTM said:

" @TrueEnglishGent said:

I'm pretty sure EA are just distributing the retail versions... As opposed to actually publishing it, I think Valve are publishing it themselves. That is what Wikipedia tells me. "
    That's just semantics. Whether you call them distributors or publishers (which are more or less the same thing, with maybe a small handful of differences) there will definitely be complicated and convoluted legal documents between EA and Valve, and EA wouldn't want those agreements to allow valve to release the game via Steam prior to the retail version, which EA is distributing. "
    This is a big release every retailer already has the game in the back. It would only take a few calls and emails to get it on shelves.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Clearly something is happening involving the Portal 2 ARG. Whether its an early release of Portal 2 or something else, we'll just have a wait and see.

sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sLiPdIsCo
    @MattyFTM:  Plus, what you said about Valve being big enough to pull it off has a lot of weight. I think Valve has a lot more pull with publishers than any other independent developer in the business. The only rival would be Bungie, but they don't have the number 1 digital distribution platform for games on PC. EA sells games though Steam.
    p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By p_p_o_d
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel

So is this real or fake?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @rebgav said:

" @MattyFTM said:

"  there will definitely be complicated and convoluted legal documents between EA and Valve, and EA wouldn't want those agreements to allow valve to release the game via Steam prior to the retail version, which EA is distributing. "
    EA have no say in the matter, they have no claim to the digital distribution. Even if they wanted to tie Valve's hands they would have no leverage as Valve could walk away and take Portal 2 to another publisher. It's a safe bet that Valve's deal with EA has no bearing on what Steam can or can't do. "
    I did say in my other post that Valve are probably big enough as to be able to avoid a publisher like EA demanding a same day release on Steam and Retail, but it's not guaranteed that it actually happened. There might be other things in the agreement between Valve & EA that could greatly benefit Valve (perhaps EA contribute to marketing of the game or something like that) that another publisher would not provide, and that would make Valve agree to not release the game on Steam prior to the retail release. And since it's common place to release games via digital distribution on the same day as retail, it wouldn't be a big concession for Valve to make. These agreements are very complicated things that involve so many different clauses and benefits to both sides. I'm not claiming to know either way, I'm just saying that these agreements are complicated and none of us can know what Valve & EA's agreement is, and what that permits either party to do with the Portal 2 release. 
    Mr_Spinnington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

I WAS FUCKING WRONG?!  O_o

I have never been wrong on this site yet.  WTF

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

God bless the people that have enough time in their days to crack codes and find potatoes on poles.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaosAngel

IS PORTAL 2 REALLY COMING OUT TOMORROW FOR THE MASTER RACE?!  

Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Buck
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Buck said:
    " @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @Mr_Spinnington said:
    "  http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/it's happening "
    Whoa. "
    Does that mean it's confirmed? Is that site official?! WHAT IS THIS WITH THE POTATOES?! 

I can't sleep now...
    "
    Site is official but we have no idea what its counting down to.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BeachThunder  Online
    sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sLiPdIsCo
    @p_p_o_d said:

" someone on the steam forums has a neat theory.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1835057

I think it makes perfect scene.    
    I guess we need more potato's for portal 2 to release??"

This is now a theory on the wiki.
    Joining this group in steam will get you a potato. Before anyone tries to claim I'm phishing, just search for
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bwheeeler

The countdown timer doesn't confirm anything. The ARG has been pointing towards something coming tomorrow for a long time now.

I'm really not sure what's happening -- if it does release early, it'll be unprecedented; if not, there will be a lot of unhappy fans. Actually, even if it does release early, there will be a lot of unhappy fans -- everyone who purchased somewhere other than Steam that isn't getting it four days early. There are tons of people buying on consoles that will likely get a little upset.

If Valve doesn't want to make anyone mad, they'd better reveal something big, like Episode 3. I'm afraid that releasing early could alienate console users. I certainly wouldn't be happy.

sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sLiPdIsCo

last post was cut off and won't let me edit the rest in. anyway 
    ... just search for NELIPOT on the community tab in steam and join there. Also, you might need to own one game from the potato sack to get it. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
    @MagikOvenMit said:
    "If Valve doesn't want to make anyone mad, they'd better reveal something big, like Episode 3. I'm afraid that releasing early could alienate console users. I certainly wouldn't be happy."
    The hype is too big, it's worse if Valve pisses off the PC fanbase over the console users.  There's a reason why the PC is the master race.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hunkulese
    @MagikOvenMit said:
    " The countdown timer doesn't confirm anything. The ARG has been pointing towards something coming tomorrow for a long time now.

I'm really not sure what's happening -- if it does release early, it'll be unprecedented; if not, there will be a lot of unhappy fans. Actually, even if it does release early, there will be a lot of unhappy fans -- everyone who purchased somewhere other than Steam that isn't getting it four days early. There are tons of people buying on consoles that will likely get a little upset.

If Valve doesn't want to make anyone mad, they'd better reveal something big, like Episode 3. I'm afraid that releasing early could alienate console users. I certainly wouldn't be happy.

"
    I hate people like you. What difference does it make if PC users get to play the game a few days before you? It doesn't change anything for you. You'll get the game on the same day no matter what.  
    sLiPdIsCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sLiPdIsCo
    @MagikOvenMit said:
    " The countdown timer doesn't confirm anything. The ARG has been pointing towards something coming tomorrow for a long time now.

"
    So a bunch of nerds will get pissed and say they won't buy the game but they'll buy it anyway. Just like what happened with MW2 on PC.
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bwheeeler
    @Hunkulese: I'm just saying that playing favorites will inevitably piss someone off, even if it makes sense that they would play favorites toward the PC. I, personally, will be able to deal with waiting four days (though not without wishing I had more friends that played on PC), but there will be people who are not happy with Valve for doing this. But if they do, more power to them. It'd be kind of awesome.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KaosAngel
    @MagikOvenMit: It's Valve though, do you honestly think they'd wouldn't take the PC side?  That's like saying Blizzard loves making games for the Xbox, and Diablo III will be out before on console than PC.
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bwheeeler
    @KaosAngel: I'm not surprised. But I'm not sure that it's the right path to take when they're releasing the same game on three platforms (with the PS3 version arguably being the ideal one to buy). I don't like that they're essentially saying "Didn't buy on Steam? Wrong decision!" The Blizzard analogy is kind of bunk because, well, Diablo III is a PC game, and Blizzard isn't releasing it on consoles. If they were making a game that was for both consoles and PC, yeah, I'd expect them all to be supported equally.

But, like I said, if they do release it early on PC, more power to them. It would be an excellent experiment and give people a lot to talk about.
    baconbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By baconbringer
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KaosAngel

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!  
     HOLY FUCKING SHIT!  
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#44  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @KaosAngel: Portal 2's what...? Portal 2's DotA2 trailer?
    matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By matt

If they were to release portal 2 early it would makes sense to give it to people who already pre-ordered via steam.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BeachThunder  Online
    @StarvingGamer said:
    " @KaosAngel: Portal 2's what...?"
    Demo? :(
    baconbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By baconbringer
    @BeachThunder:  I believe they said there would be no demo until after release, but at this point you can't really believe anything they say.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KaosAngel
    @baconbringer said:

" @BeachThunder:  I believe they said there would be no demo until after release, but at this point you can't really believe anything they say. "

SHUT UP!  PITTSBURGH SUCKS!  FLYERS WILL WIN THE STANLEY CUP AND PORTAL 2 WILL RELEASE TOMORROW!  GABE WOULDN'T FUCK WITH US LIKE THIS!

EDIT:  Pittsburgh is my second favorite city after Philly tho. :P
    baconbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By baconbringer
    @KaosAngel:  FUCK THE FLYERS. also, I'm pretty sure it will release tomorrow too.
    Keith_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Keith_Games

Side note but anyone think we'll get some kind of word on episode 3 with/after the release of portal 2?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.