Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 releasing tomorrow? What platforms have you chosen?

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By mubblegum

I still have not read any solid confirmation yet if it is coming tomorrow (on Steam) - which is my platform of choice. I considered the PS3 version, with free Steam copy, but I knew realistically that I'd never play the PS3 version and just go straight to the Steam one as it feels more natural in experience. Curious to see the number of Xbox users.

But I am getting excited either way and Companion Cube & I are filled with glee - so here's a silly picture of us to express that... thought I'd spread the love a bit.

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mubblegum

I still have not read any solid confirmation yet if it is coming tomorrow (on Steam) - which is my platform of choice. I considered the PS3 version, with free Steam copy, but I knew realistically that I'd never play the PS3 version and just go straight to the Steam one as it feels more natural in experience. Curious to see the number of Xbox users.

But I am getting excited either way and Companion Cube & I are filled with glee - so here's a silly picture of us to express that... thought I'd spread the love a bit.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GJSmitty

It's coming on Tuesday.  And PC all the way for me

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By rentfn

PC all the way. I added it to my gamefly queue for 360 so I could get points...I might need help. Plus I want to see how different it will be with a controller.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

It's already been proven false all over the Valve forums.  

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

I've been following the ARG for a while now and the evidence has been going in several different directions. It could be anything at this point but the early release is becoming more and more unlikely.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By jorbear

Probably just on Steam. 

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By hexx462

PS3, mainly because I've been hanging onto a Best Buy gift card for awhile. Plus it'll give me more options to play co-op with the free PC copy.

@mubblegum: Glad to see your cube survived.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

PS3 for me, since I get a $20 credit from Amazon and it's $54.99 I'm basically paying $34.99 for it.

Plus my girlfriend will probably want to play it on PS3, I don't think she'll want to use her Mac.
    lasafrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By lasafrog

I got every achievement in The Orange Box on 360, and the Aperture Science achievement was my most proud moment. Needless to say, I got very used to it on the 360 controller, so it'll be like comfort food going back to that I think.  Otherwise Id go PC, I think the WASD + mouse would be ideal.

I have a hunch nobody is going to go wrong with their platform choice, this game looks stellar.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

PC will probably still be the best place to play it but it seems like no version will really be a slouch. If you're thinking of playing a lot of the Co-op it's probably best to get it on the system your friends are getting it on. 

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mubblegum

Seems like Xbox is losing out. I'd almost feel sorry for it if it didn't have Halo and the like. Must admit, when I heard Portal 2 was coming out with the whole platform array I was quite impressed and it's quite exciting having Steam on the PS3 for the first time - interested to see what comes from this afterwards.
    @rentfn said: 

" PC all the way. I added it to my gamefly queue for 360 so I could get points...I might need help. Plus I want to see how different it will be with a controller. "

So you'll be playing two copies? I had a bit of a go on the first on my 360 (after completing it on Steam) and it actually felt ok. Not as fulfilling or "right" as on PC though.

@KaosAngel said: 

" It's already been proven false all over the Valve forums.   "

Oh really - is there a link, I can't find it. That's a shame but I wasn't really holding my breath. Most internet rumors should be taken with a grain of salt!

@rebgav said: 

" Steam, of course. I have the 360 version of Orange Box but I don't think I've ever actually opened it. Why would you? "

Ha yeah, I got the Orange Box on 360 after completing a bunch of the games, HL, Portal etc on PC... I wanted the achievement points. But I've yet to actually complete them on the Xbox. It didn't feel quite right. Great deal of a bundle though.

@EuanDewar said: 

" I've been following the ARG for a while now and the evidence has been going in several different directions. It could be anything at this point but the early release is becoming more and more unlikely. "

I noticed that - it seems to have been building up and swaying for a bit (in a rather PR-y manner) then it feels like it's deflating a little now. Disappointing but not the end of the world, nor my fandom. It's just left people more excited and eager either way. So they win.

@hexx462 said: 

" PS3, mainly because I've been hanging onto a Best Buy gift card for awhile. Plus it'll give me more options to play co-op with the free PC copy. 

@mubblegum: Glad to see your cube survived. "

I keep forgetting about the co-op somehow, which is pretty stupid as it's looking amazing. Hope a lot of people are available for it and it doesn't just die out quickly.
    Oh and thanks, I rescued it. But it turns out, the cake was a lie afterall =(

@lasafrog said:
    "

I got every achievement in The Orange Box on 360, and the Aperture Science achievement was my most proud moment. Needless to say, I got very used to it on the 360 controller, so it'll be like comfort food going back to that I think.  Otherwise Id go PC, I think the WASD + mouse would be ideal.

I have a hunch nobody is going to go wrong with their platform choice, this game looks stellar.

"
    @Scooper said:
    " PC will probably still be the best place to play it but it seems like no version will really be a slouch. If you're thinking of playing a lot of the Co-op it's probably best to get it on the system your friends are getting it on.  "
    Aye very true - I had a quick scan of my friends opinions and it seemed to be a resounding Steam. Half of them live on there anyway, so their entire catalogue is there. Guess it makes sense. I was thinking of recently actually completing some of the games on the 360 version - the idea of having the achievements appeals in a very sad, achievement-loving way. It's interesting you mention using the controller - as I started to get into it in the end, initially it was a bit of a fiddle to control though.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

going to buy it now on steam in the off chance that it DOES get unlocked tomorow. its silly cheap on steam compared to what console versions cost in stores, at least here. i run bulletstorm with everything maxed, so i should be able to run portal 2 fine right?

no matter how good a computer i have, im always a pussy when it comes to pc games >_<

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hexx462
    @mubblegum said:
    @hexx462 said: 

" PS3, mainly because I've been hanging onto a Best Buy gift card for awhile. Plus it'll give me more options to play co-op with the free PC copy. 

@mubblegum: Glad to see your cube survived. "

I keep forgetting about the co-op somehow, which is pretty stupid as it's looking amazing. Hope a lot of people are available for it and it doesn't just die out quickly.
    Oh and thanks, I rescued it. But it turns out, the cake was a lie afterall =("
    Been wondering the same about the co-op since I'm not sure when I'll be getting around to it.

Cake is overrated, pie is much much better.
    Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Potts

PS3 here too. I want to have it on Steam, but I want to play it on the big-screen too, and hoping for split-screen co-op as my friends are lame and don't have computers for games.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hexx462
    @Potts said:
    " PS3 here too. I want to have it on Steam, but I want to play it on the big-screen too, and hoping for split-screen co-op as my friends are lame and don't have computers for games. "
    That's the other appeal of playing it on PS3, my 46" TV destroys my monitor. If I can get used to the control on a gamepad then that's probably going to be the system I'll play it on.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Afroman269

The ARG is a lie. As for what platform. Never not PC.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d
    @hexx462 said:
    " @Potts said:
    " PS3 here too. I want to have it on Steam, but I want to play it on the big-screen too, and hoping for split-screen co-op as my friends are lame and don't have computers for games. "
    That's the other appeal of playing it on PS3, my 46" TV destroys my monitor. If I can get used to the control on a gamepad then that's probably going to be the system I'll play it on. "
    Why not just hook your PC up to your TV?

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hexx462
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @hexx462 said:
    " @Potts said:
    That's the other appeal of playing it on PS3, my 46" TV destroys my monitor. If I can get used to the control on a gamepad then that's probably going to be the system I'll play it on. "

"
    Because then my girlfriend would start playing WoW on the TV and I'd never get to use it again.
    Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Potts
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @hexx462 said:
    " @Potts said:

"
    Hexx makes a good point. In my situation it wouldn't work too well either, as I have a laptop & my couch is more than 6 feet away from my TV.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

PC all the way

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Humanoid

I'll be getting it on PS3. Most of my friends have PS3's as it's a cheaper option to buying a gaming rig in most cases. I'm getting a gaming rig next week, so I'll be getting both with the special PS3 deal. It's not like I play games through once and I'm done with them.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hexx462
    @Potts said:
    " @AlexW00d said: Hexx makes a good point. In my situation it wouldn't work too well either, as I have a laptop & my couch is more than 6 feet away from my TV. "
    There's also that, the logistics of it all would be quite weird, and I don't want to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Also: laziness.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexW00d
    @hexx462 said:
    " @Potts said:
    " @AlexW00d said: Hexx makes a good point. In my situation it wouldn't work too well either, as I have a laptop & my couch is more than 6 feet away from my TV. "
    There's also that, the logistics of it all would be quite weird, and I don't want to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Also: laziness. "
    Lol, all good reasons.
    I'm just glad I have a better Monitor than I do TV. As I too, am lazy. 
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Samaritan

Grabbing the 360 for achievements (That I care about) and friends for co-op. If not for the latter, I'd probably go PC and just try not to care about not getting points.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Skald

I think the PS3 version is the best overall value, especially if you want to play on the computer, but know you'll end up playing split-screen multiplayer every once in a while.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

This is only like the sixth thread about Portal platform preferences. 

But PS3. Best deal.
    mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mubblegum
    @Potts said: 

@AlexW00d said: 

@hexx462 said: 
    @Potts said: 

"
    Hexx makes a good point. In my situation it wouldn't work too well either, as I have a laptop & my couch is more than 6 feet away from my TV. "
    The logistics do start to get a bit weird. Right now I have my TV, my partner's bigger TV next to it on the right, my PC and monitor on the left of it, and then my Mac laptop about a foot away... I start to wonder where to plug things in. It's tempting to play WoW on the TV, but I'm one of those annoying people that plays shows and movies on TV whilst gaming etc. @extremeradical said:
    " I think the PS3 version is the best overall value, especially if you want to play on the computer, but know you'll end up playing split-screen multiplayer every once in a while. "

@PrivateIronTFU said:
    " This is only like the sixth thread about Portal platform preferences. 

But PS3. Best deal.
    "

The PS3 "bundle" is definitely the best looking deal. In terms of what you're being presented, and I'm kinda interested to see the Steam PS3 side of it. 
    Oh also aye, I never intended for it to be a Portal 2 preference thread sorry - it was just a blog post really.  
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @mubblegum: Haha no worries. I responded to it, didn't I? And yeah, I'm really excited to see how Steam is integrated with the PS3.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MariachiMacabre

PS3. More possibility for Co-op. Plus my 65" TV and surround sound kind of leaves my PC in the dust. I would take a picture of my Companion Cube fuzzy dice and mousepad but I can't find my camera :/

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By time allen

pre-loading currently on steam.

also: anybody in need of of portal 1? got an extra copy.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By willylo

Gettin the PS3 one here, just wanna see how the Steam functions work out. And can't go wrong for 2 for 1 :S.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RsistncE
    @KaosAngel said:
    " It's already been proven false all over the Valve forums.   "
    It hasn't been proven false or true...all we know is that there is a countdown and that SOMETHING is going to happen at 9AM PST on the 15th.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By PerryVandell

PC, and I doubt it's actually coming out tomorrow--I've been hurt before.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benjaebe

PC. I mean...it's Valve. It's heresy not to get it on PC. Granted, Steam integration was pretty nifty for PS3, but then I'd just have two copies of a game and I'd only end up playing it on PC anyway.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Commisar123

Xbox for me but only cuz i don't have a PS3 and my PC wouldn't do it justice

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45

my guess is half life 3 will finally be announced, not portal 2 released.

Anyway, PC, of course.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#38  Edited By BeachThunder
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45
    @BeachThunder said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " my guess is half life 3 will finally be announced, not portal 2 released.Anyway, PC, of course. "
    How would that relate to passing the final test though?

"
    Because if it's not it's likely the final test of patience people have towards valve.

Boom
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NinjaHunter

PS3. As it's really my only option but luckily, at least this time, it doesn't seem like the worst option.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

360. I don't really have a computer capable of doing Portal 2 justice, as I primarily do my PC gaming (WoW and Sims Games, pretty much) on a Laptop. The bit that has me the most interested about Portal 2 though is the co-op, and I'll have more 360 friends to choose from/play with than I would on the PS3... so it's sort of the only choice I have if I want to get the most out of the game that I can.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#42  Edited By tearhead

Amazon's giving me $20 credit for pre-ordering the PS3 version, and I used my $20 credit from Killzone 3 toward the pre-order for this. So, I'm getting the PS3 plus the Steam version of the game for $35 AND $20 free credit for my next purchase. 

I love you, Amazon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.