So maybe no one here knows *this* about the closing cinematic...

#1 Posted by dudeglove (13706 posts) -

[Spoilers obviously, but they're not that bad]

...or if you're a complete Portal nut, then you do. 

When heading up the lift after the 'Lunacy' moment and are greeted by the turrets, you are treated to a quick ditty sung by Ellen McLain (if you weren't already aware, she is an opera singer by profession) who voices GLaDOS and the turrets. What sounds like vague humming is actually Italian (again with the opera thing), and here are the lyrics:

#Cara bel, cara mia bella. Mia bambina, a tra che la stima che la stima. A cara mia, addio! Mia bambina cara, perche non passi lontana si lontana da scienza? Cara cara mia bambina. A mia bel. A mia cara. A mia cara. A mia bambina. A cara, cari a mi!#    

Translated (poorly) into English, you are given the following.

#My dear, beautiful darling, my child that I admire. To my dear, farewell! My dear girl, why not walk far away from science? My dear, dear girl. To my lovely. To my dear. To my dear. To my child, My dear, dear to me!#

And there you have it, further proof regarding the relationship between GLaDOS and Chell.
#2 Posted by RobinOttens (35 posts) -

Wow, that's pretty cool actually. I knew they were singing something, just couldn't hear if it was in english or not.

#3 Posted by RoboRobb (1094 posts) -

Thanks for the insight, interesting!

#4 Posted by Red12b (9362 posts) -

ohfuck

#5 Edited by xyzygy (10595 posts) -

So Chell could be Caroline's daughter? Maybe even Cave and Caroline's daughter?

It would fit with the "Bring your daughter to work day" and the whole adopted thing. Caroline may have adopted Chell or maybe Caroline gave her up for adoption.
#6 Posted by zagzagovich (835 posts) -
@xyzygy:
Oh shit. I completely forgot about the adopted thing. Mind blown. They really thought it out, didn't they?
#7 Posted by Rockdalf (1328 posts) -

I think this is one of those things that will be hard to believe, but in hindsight seem completely obvious.

I mean, if you had to sum up GLaDOS from the first game it's vindictive sadistic mother figure.  And who are we observing this relationship through?  Chell.

#8 Posted by zyn (2765 posts) -

I knew it was in Italian but I didn't know Ellen McLain sang it.  Cool to know.  Also, that song is awesome.

#9 Edited by sameeeeam (2469 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" So Chell could be Caroline's daughter? Maybe even Cave and Caroline's daughter?

It would fit with the "Bring your daughter to work day" and the whole adopted thing. Caroline may have adopted Chell or maybe Caroline gave her up for adoption.
"

Well, GLaDOS does say something along the lines of "she was a lot like you (maybe not quite as heavy)" in Want You Gone, doesn't she? Caroline might just be her real mother.
#10 Posted by dudeglove (13706 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" @xyzygy said:

" So Chell could be Caroline's daughter? Maybe even Cave and Caroline's daughter?

"

Well, GLaDOS does say something along the lines of "she was a lot like you (maybe not quite as heavy)" in Want You Gone, doesn't she? Caroline might just be her real mother. "
When you're going past the science dioramas in the game with Wheatley...
#11 Posted by guiseppe (2843 posts) -

That is cool. I knew it was Italian, but since I don't speak a word of it I didn't really bother. Everything here seems to fit the "Caroline is her mother" theory really well, which is awesome :D.

#12 Posted by rmanthorp (4632 posts) -

Surely the turrets sung the song?

Turret = Cave

Cave is singing to Caroline about walking away from science?

#13 Edited by GunnBjorn (2905 posts) -
#14 Posted by mikey87144 (2114 posts) -

That is fucking cool. I knew they were saying something. It sounded spanish to me at first, (spanish sounds like Italian kind of) but man what a cool way to end the game. A small little easter egg that's easy to figure out.

#15 Posted by dudeglove (13706 posts) -
@Rufi91 said:
" Surely the turrets sung the song?Turret = CaveCave is singing to Caroline about walking away from science? "
The turrets are voiced by Ellen McLain. They/She is singing to Chell, expressing their/her regret that Chell is walking away from the path of science/testing.
#16 Edited by hockeymask27 (3700 posts) -

Thats kind of awesome thanks for sharing.

#17 Posted by mrhankey (781 posts) -

If you head over to the STEAM forms, and go to the Portal 2 Forms, you will find a lot more interesting story-speculation going on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.