Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

The Joy of Portal 2

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Hello fellow Giant Bombers, I hope you’re well. I should probably warn you that the following blog has some Portal 2 spoilers within. Most of what I’m about to say isn’t anything that concrete and there are a lot of vague statements about the nature of the game, but if you’re determined to experience Portal 2 as untainted as possible and haven’t yet reach the games conclusion, this may be a blog to skip. This is also a shorter and admittedly slightly more rushed blog than usual, due to my ongoing university work, and for that I apologise. All good? Okay, let’s begin.

Things have changed a lot since the original Portal.
     Things have changed a lot since the original Portal.

I really could gush about my love of this game for just about any length of time and to some extent I already have. I haven’t found a game that’s excited me in the way Portal 2 has in a very long time, and it was really the single-player that did it for me. There are a lot of games out there that have given me hours of great experiences but Portal 2 has been a truly mind-blowing adventure and like many others when I reached the end of the game I was met with a distinct sadness, not just because of the events within the games closing but because I knew I’d seen everything this fantastic game had to offer.

I loved the original Portal and still do, but in many ways Portal 2 makes it look positively primitive by comparison. Part of the shock I experienced when first playing wasn’t just a product of the level of quality the game presented, but also a result of seeing how fresh, varied and complex the game was. In the three and a half years since the original Portal first appeared on The Orange Box it felt as though the world of Portal had evolved to an extraordinary level.

Through their unique mix of AAA production, extensive product testing and adoption of indie game mechanics and developers, the Portal games have managed to deliver experiences that are not only of a high quality but also produce an overwhelming level of uniqueness rarely seen from the mainstream games industry. It makes me happy that the game has been so well received by consumers, because it proves that originality can thrive within the mainstream market and at least to a small extent it’s encouragement towards other publishers and developers to try and create something more innovative themselves.

So this is how science works.
     So this is how science works.

I know one or two aspiring games developers read my blog occasionally and if there’s anyone out there who is interested in games design or writing, then I’d certainly encourage you to take a look at Portal 2, the detail, uniqueness, and quality makes it a joy to deconstruct. To any of you who are interested in any kind of games development the developer commentary may very well be of some interest too. For some unknown reason you can’t save during the commentary, meaning you have to take it one chapter at a time, and it’s not appropriate for your first playthrough, however it’s surprising the level of detail the commentary nodes go into. They’re a little few and far between but where they can be found they’re very interesting to listen too.

It’s a shame to hear that Wolpaw seems too modest to dissect his work and look at the underlying components and influences, because he and the other developers at Valve have certainly worked towards creating an amazing narrative. With so much backstory now satisfyingly filled in and the effective conclusion of the stories of all the major characters (save for possibly Doug Rattmann but I’ll keep that for another time), it seems almost impossible for there to be a Portal 3 and it’s rather shocking to hear Wolpaw say that he believes there could be a Portal 2 sequel, but if there’s a developer that has proved it can do amazing things with sequels it’s definitely Valve.

For now I think I’ll let up on my torrent of praise for Portal 2, but hopefully I’ll be back next week with some more constructive Portal 2-type ramblings. Thanks for reading, good luck, have a different kind of Portal.

-Gamer_152

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Hello fellow Giant Bombers, I hope you’re well. I should probably warn you that the following blog has some Portal 2 spoilers within. Most of what I’m about to say isn’t anything that concrete and there are a lot of vague statements about the nature of the game, but if you’re determined to experience Portal 2 as untainted as possible and haven’t yet reach the games conclusion, this may be a blog to skip. This is also a shorter and admittedly slightly more rushed blog than usual, due to my ongoing university work, and for that I apologise. All good? Okay, let’s begin.

For now I think I’ll let up on my torrent of praise for Portal 2, but hopefully I’ll be back next week with some more constructive Portal 2-type ramblings. Thanks for reading, good luck, have a different kind of Portal.

-Gamer_152

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By I_smell

lol why did you choose that first screenshot? Nothing is happening in that screenshot.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @I_smell said:
    " lol why did you choose that first screenshot? Nothing is happening in that screenshot. "
    I was just really trying to show off the minimalism of the environments in Portal 1 as opposed to Portal 2s much more layered world. Since you mentioned it though I changed the screenshot to something that better showcases one of Portal 1s testchambers.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Since I can't read this due to not having played Portal 2, let me ask this: is Portal 2 like sex? That's what I'm getting from this blog.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Vexxan

Finished the game last night, hopefully I have time to start on replaying it all with commentary today.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Shabs

I felt the same way when I was finished. I didn't want to leave that world since I'd enjoyed being in it so much.

I turned on the Director's Commentary mode and played through the chapters where I'd missed Achievements. The unfortunate thing is that because it's a puzzle game, it's not really the same going back to it. I enjoyed listening to Wheatley again, but I didn't get that much out of returning, even with the commentary on.

I'm glad the co-op's there because at least there are some more puzzles to tackle.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Since I can't read this due to not having played Portal 2, let me ask this: is Portal 2 like sex? That's what I'm getting from this blog. "
    If like me, you associate sex with hilarious one-liners, disused test chambers, and clever puzzles, then yes, Portal 2 is exactly like sex.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

This must be the the 50th time I've said this in the GB forums but here I go again. Stephen Merchant and J.K Simmons give in my opinion the greatest voice performances in all of games, so very nuanced and every line delivered with perfect comedic timing and they just sound so right in the world. Its also a testament to Valve developing as a uh...Developer to see how fantastic and pixar-like the animation is and how well it works with the voices. God I love this game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Vegsen said:
    " Finished the game last night, hopefully I have time to start on replaying it all with commentary today. "
    Cool stuff. Hope you enjoy it.

@Shuborno said:
    " I felt the same way when I was finished. I didn't want to leave that world since I'd enjoyed being in it so much.

I turned on the Director's Commentary mode and played through the chapters where I'd missed Achievements. The unfortunate thing is that because it's a puzzle game, it's not really the same going back to it. I enjoyed listening to Wheatley again, but I didn't get that much out of returning, even with the commentary on.

I'm glad the co-op's there because at least there are some more puzzles to tackle."
    Yeah, puzzle games and story-oriented games always have an inherent lack of replayability, but I'm still having fun going through Portal 2 a second time, and I know I replayed the heck out of Portal 1.

@EuanDewar said:
    " This must be the the 50th time I've said this in the GB forums but here I go again. Stephen Merchant and J.K Simmons give in my opinion the greatest voice performances in all of games, so very nuanced and every line delivered with perfect comedic timing and they just sound so right in the world. Its also a testament to Valve developing as a uh...Developer to see how fantastic and pixar-like the animation is and how well it works with the voices. God I love this game. "
    I couldn't agree with you more. The animation and the voice acting are of an amazing quality. I really hope Portal 2 helps raise the bar for a lot of aspects of games development.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By Little_Socrates
    I'm really glad you love Portal 2 so much. The fact that Portal 2, a puzzle game about robots, is coming off with such strong reactions out of people is great, and it could mean a lot for the thematic content of upcoming games (MAYBE LESS WARS!!!)

...but I really wish I could like Portal 2. I really wanted to! I did! In fact, I figured it was probably going to be my favorite game this year. But a lot of the narrative does really bother me, and it bothered me while I was playing, and I feel like I'm stuck in the world of Metal Gear Solid 4 all over again because everyone loves it so much.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Aetheldod

I loved Portal 2 , im glad we are over the left for dead thing ( I hated it) cant hardly wait for the next installment of Hal Life . I too felt a few tears in my eyes after the turret opera , something about that song that strikes the soul , also this showcases why I believe Valve games are the closest to art that videogames can be . Also this shows that single player experiences are the best .... down with online multiplayer !!!!!! >:3

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By RagingLion

Yeah, I love it so much too.  My own reaction to finishing the game was as if I'd just come to the end of a big meal:  satisfied and full because the ingredients were so delicious but also wholesome and nutritious.

About half way through the game when it was already clear that Portal 2 was a nailed-down amazing game I couldn't help but think what I was experiencing was exactly what I wanted to out of so many more games.  I want more games where it feels like I'm on this big adventure in an amazing fictional world that's like nothing I've ever experienced before with a colourful, detailed fiction with loads of nuance and interesting characters that engage me.  And all without guns.  I don't mind guns but I think I'm often just bearing with using one in order to enjoy the story and world and hopefully characters.  I understand that many developers often struggle where to pull the content from that's going to take up the majority of the player's time if there is no combat but I want to see what they come up with when they try.  Portal 2 did it all so well.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Little_Socrates: Fair enough, no game is for everyone and frankly I'm rather surprised that so many people have gravitated towards a puzzle game. I really hope we see more unique themes and aesthetics in upcoming games too, but on the whole I think we're still stuck with more or less what we have now for the next few years.

@Aetheldod: Afraid I can't agree with you on the "down with multiplayer" front but yes, the turrets at the end made me a little emotional too, even playing it through the second time.

@RagingLion: I wouldn't have considered myself "full" at the end of Portal 2, I certainly loved the whole experience and had a far, far longer play time than I did with Portal 1, but greedy little me just wants more portals I guess. Oh well, that only makes the free DLC even better news. I too would like to see more games like Portal and indeed more games that are able to deliver a quality experience without relying on traditional combat mechanics.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By animateria
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Since I can't read this due to not having played Portal 2, let me ask this: is Portal 2 like sex? That's what I'm getting from this blog. "
    Well, you go in and out of holes... so yeah...
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeeGee
    @Video_Game_King said:
    Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. It's almost exactly like sex.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @DeeGee said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. It's almost exactly like sex. "
    Why are you rushing your sex? I like women to know for as long as possible that they have a dick inside them. I want them to reflect on life and figure out where it all went wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.