Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

This game is shorter than expected.

SrgOwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By SrgOwnage

I think after hearing repeatedly that each campaign (co-op and single player) were supposed to be twice the length of portal one I was expecting 8 - 10 hours each. This is a blatant lie (and not in that whole the cake is a lie thing hurp durp) it took me 9 hours to do both, and don't get me wrong the game very fun and enjoyable and I would recommend it. I just though I should let everyone know that it may not be as long as you were expecting it to be. But fuck the whole shop and buying hats shit that ruined TF2 don't let it ruin this game Valve!

SrgOwnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SrgOwnage

I think after hearing repeatedly that each campaign (co-op and single player) were supposed to be twice the length of portal one I was expecting 8 - 10 hours each. This is a blatant lie (and not in that whole the cake is a lie thing hurp durp) it took me 9 hours to do both, and don't get me wrong the game very fun and enjoyable and I would recommend it. I just though I should let everyone know that it may not be as long as you were expecting it to be. But fuck the whole shop and buying hats shit that ruined TF2 don't let it ruin this game Valve!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

You must be really good. It took me around 7 hours to go through the single player game so it's not the same for everybody. Also, I don't see how cosmetic items that don't effect gameplay can ruin a game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

And this is why I buy my games used or at bargain. I have a rule that if the game is under 20 hours I will not buy it for over 40 dollars. With this rule in mind you can imagine how excited I am to get Divinity 2: DKS for 40 bucks in a few days.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    @SrgOwnage said:
    "But fuck the whole shop and buying hats shit that ruined TF2 don't let it ruin this game Valve! "
    First of all: The hats and the shop did not ruin TF2, the game still is one of the best (maybe THE best) team-based multiplayer shooter out there.

When it comes to the shop in Portal 2, think of this: Valve knows very well that people will finish the coop maybe once or twice and stop playing it after that. They also know that not many people would be willing to shell out additional money to add something cosmetic to a mode they will only play for a couple of hours.

So ... take into account the HUGE hub world in the coop that pretty much can only mean one thing: Valve is going to add coop worlds to Portal 2. The question is: will that be payed content or free, and knowing valves track record I would assume that stuff will be free on PC and PS3 and like 5 bucks each on xbox.

Mark my words: within the next 2 month we will get a free set of 5 to 8 challenge chambers for free to play in coop.
    Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

Interviews with Valve folks have said co-op would be half the length of singleplayer. So the game was 75% of what you thought it was going to be before you ever even played it.

Also, I can't believe people are surprised Portal 2 is short. It's Portal 2. What is wrong with you.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

I found the length to be quite adequate. I was completely gripped by it from start to finish, no slow points or anything that made me want it to be over sooner. It's totally worth the €30 I paid for the game, and I still have the co-op basically untouched.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By mfpantst
    @Cretaceous_Bob said:
    " Interviews with Valve folks have said co-op would be half the length of singleplayer. So the game was 75% of what you thought it was going to be before you ever even played it.

Also, I can't believe people are surprised Portal 2 is short. It's Portal 2. What is wrong with you.
    "
    This. 
    Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Truant19
    @mracoon said:
    " Also, I don't see how cosmetic items that don't effect gameplay can ruin a game. "
    TF2 didnt have any sort of leveling up system or getting perks or anything, its entire replay value was achieved through an awesome but stupid mini game of collecting and crafting all the new hats and guns that were introduced into game. When you can buy all this shit now, its just not fun anymore. They also made the first stuff you can buy not just cosmetic items, for instance, the milkman set for scout is very powerful and gives the scout extra stats, and its almost impossible to get the set without buying it.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mracoon
    @Truant19: I'm talking about Portal 2.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho

Does beating the game unlock challenge rooms?

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Truant19
    @mracoon said:
    " @Truant19: I'm talking about Portal 2. "
    Ya, I was just explaining how it "ruined" tf2, and how it could do the same for portal. I think if its instead of selling these cosmetic items if instead you could earn them through tasks in the game, it would be a much more compelling system. 
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

Barely longer than the first game, pretty disappointing. Portal 1 costs ~10$ at launch, Portal 2 costed 50$ (45$ counting preorder). Should have been at LEAST double the length. Took me under 4 hours to beat, explored everything. thought there was a lot more left when I got to the final room. Good game, but definitely should have been longer and significantly harder. Seriously, I thought the last few levels were supposed to be easy as a joke!

Also pretty funny how people are defending the ridiculous prices of the cosmetic items in the shop. Probably the same people who bitch about EA doing that, but will defend anything valve does. I'm a steam and valve fan too, but come on.

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stalefishies

I just can't see how anyone could ever beat the game in less than 6 hours unless they solved every puzzle instantly and ran straight through every dialogue scene, and even then 6 hours seems too short; it feels like there's at least 7 or 8 hours of singleplayer content in there. If you're saying you finished it quickly from what Steam says about your total playtime, then bear in mind that Steam is totally wrong with that; the game was running pretty much all day yesterday between me and my brother playing, which ended up being far more than the 6.5 hours Steam recorded.

And while I agree that the cosmetic stuff is ridiculously expensive, but anyone who says the store ruins the game is really just looking for things to complain about. It's totally stupid, but it's just hats, c'mon.

Oh, and while I'm here:
    @Truant19 said:

"the milkman set for scout is very powerful"

nope
    @Truant19 said:

"its almost impossible to get the set without buying it"

nope
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By benjaebe
    @Truant19 said:
    " @mracoon said:
    " @Truant19: I'm talking about Portal 2. "
    Ya, I was just explaining how it "ruined" tf2, and how it could do the same for portal. I think if its instead of selling these cosmetic items if instead you could earn them through tasks in the game, it would be a much more compelling system.  "
    Except you can earn them through playing and getting achievements. Or you can just buy them. I have a hat and a flag and I didn't buy anything.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mracoon
    @Truant19: If it means that we get free maps later on then I don't have any problem with it. The prices are ridiculous but as long as it doesn't effect my gaming experience I'm not offended by it.

As for TF2, I think the game is well balanced enough that you can compete with original set of weapons. I don't have most of the newer weapons but I can still compete with those who do.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By benjaebe
    @mracoon said:
    "As for TF2, I think the game is well balanced enough that you can compete with original set of weapons. I don't have most of the newer weapons but I can still compete with those who do. "
    So very true. Most of the weapons in TF2 are sidegrades or novelty weapons - there've only been a few that could be considered upgrades, and all of them are easily findable with the crafting and drop/trading system.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By demontium
    @SrgOwnage said:
    " I think after hearing repeatedly that each campaign (co-op and single player) were supposed to be twice the length of portal one I was expecting 8 - 10 hours each. This is a blatant lie (and not in that whole the cake is a lie thing hurp durp) it took me 9 hours to do both, and don't get me wrong the game very fun and enjoyable and I would recommend it. I just though I should let everyone know that it may not be as long as you were expecting it to be. But fuck the whole shop and buying hats shit that ruined TF2 don't let it ruin this game Valve! "
    It took me 9 hours to do the single player, but I stopped and looked at all the little posters and stuff. Also did you do the blue CD stuff when she sends you the garbage? Skipping that stuff might speed up your time.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By louiedog

It took me about 6 hours according to Steam and I stopped to soak up atmosphere. That said, it was a tight experience like the first and I don't know if adding another couple of hours would have made it a better or worse game.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aus_azn

Lolwut?

Portal 1 took me anywhere from 2.5-3hrs to beat on my first time through. I'm 7.6 hours into Portal 2 and in the middle of chapter 8. Even if the game just ended at the end of the chamber I'm currently in, it's still 2.67 times the length of Portal 1.

Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Truant19
    @mracoon@benjaebe

Thats not the point though, of course someone with no new guns or hats is still competitive, but it kills the urge to get the items when there available for purchase. Like, someone who is first prestige in COD is obviously just as competitive as someone who is 7th prestige, but for the guy who wants to show off his flashy badge it might be worth it. If the 7th prestige badge is available for purchase do you think the drive to get that badge would go down? 

Thats how it was in TF2. The hats and weapons were a way to show off how much you played the game, but now  they mean nothing, and the drive to grind for them is gone. I also posted a blog post about this, the amount of time required to fill out a set like the milkman is insane, it was like 200+ hours.

its not just me either, in my engineering class there used to be a group of about 12-14 who would play every night, for years. For the last few months, I haven't seen a single person online. These guys are not hardcore gamers, they don't read websites like this, or even talk about video games. They would play a few hours a night have fun collecting and making hats and weapons. The day they announced that you could buy them, all the guys basically said they didn't care, but now none play anymore.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SonicBoyster

This is like getting mad at a sudoku book going too quickly.  If you never had to actually think about any of the puzzles of course you're going to get through the game in just a handful of hours.  If they were designing the game to be 8 hours for players who had the gameplay guide it would take the average user 16 hours at a minimum.  It took me 8 hours to get through the single player and I think there were only two tests I got "stuck" on (Read- Spent more than 10 minutes on).  If you beat the single player in 4 hours you're trying too hard, and you you're going to have the same opinion as any critic-on-commission who prioritizes writing about the game over playing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.