Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

this is my surprise Gabe?

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pwnasaurus

really? the surprise is you like ps3 now and the game that we knew was coming is still coming? where is my half life 3! also I don't understand why everyone loses their pants over portal ya it was a fun little puzzle game but its getting in the way of what matters and thats the next half life. Am I alone on this or does some one else agree with me?

BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackIrish05

I agree with you, but I am also really looking forward to the next portal and the moment where Gabe came on stage was awesome.

Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Phantom

I take it the TC doesn't own a PS3.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

Portal > Half-Life

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

Just be happy that he isn't going to blackball the PS3 anymore. 

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By nohthink
    @pwnasaurus:
    it is a surprise because  
    A) there was a rumor that Portal 2 will not be at this year's E3.(or at least that's waht I heard)
    B) Valve said they don't like Sony 
    C) but they announced Portal 2 at the Sony Press Conference. 
    and 
    D) they said something like "we will try our best to make Portal 2 to run best on PS3." 

I was pretty shocked when Gabe came out. If he came out at the Microsoft Press Conference, I wouldn't have been surprised.  
     But yeah, I'm with you on the "where is my Half Lift 3!!!" mentality. 
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By HypoXenophobia

A weird sense of entitlement occurring in this thread

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gabriel

I do wonder what got him to finally accept the PS3, somehow I don't think it was money but maybe it was.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

I get pissed any time there is a "best" version of any game on any platform regardless of my own personal tastes, it's just bullshit because a group feels like they get fucking screwed out of an experience they are willing to pay for.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

A fun little puzzle game? What you say. Portal was a breath of fresh air, game of the year material and for many, it was game of the year.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I could make a joke about Jack Trenton, a fried chicken leg, and nom nom nom.

But regardless of how this came about, it's pretty cool.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Gabriel said:
    " I do wonder what got him to finally accept the PS3, somehow I don't think it was money but maybe it was. "
    It was about having control over their own title. 
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @TheKidNixon said:
    " Portal > Half-Life "
    hahaahha actually? ha why? so its got some jokes and puzzles what does it have besides that? intriguing story? no. its got some wit and good game play. Half life is good really its a game that doesn't get boring the shooting mechanics in half life 2 are some of the most entertaining i have ever played with. 

@Phantom:
     no I don't I see all this fraternizing with the PS3 as a distraction 
    Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phantom

Yeah I think you have a case of entitlement haha. 

Also is this meant to be in Off Topic? I don't post here a lot and am genuinely confused by the number of gaming threads in Off Topic? Is it just because it was a blog post?

Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hats

No Caption Provided
    Why Episode 3 has been delayed so long
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Phantom said:
    " Yeah I think you have a case of entitlement haha. "

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By archer88

My problem with this is that I don't own a PS3 and I remember it being said somewhere that their surprise wouldn't interest console gamers.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Gabriel said:
    " I do wonder what got him to finally accept the PS3, somehow I don't think it was money but maybe it was. "
    Oh, it was money alright.  It's always money. 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " A weird sense of entitlement occurring in this thread "
    Uh, this has nothing to do with a "sense of entitlement". The surprise was lame for people that were expecting more, that's all. Ever since the GB crew have started using the phrase "sense of entitlement" all of a sudden everyone on these forums has adopted the belief that gamers are evil, greedy, bloodsuckers while giant publishers are innocent lambs being preyed upon. Give me a break, I suggest people jump off of the GB's crews flaccid dick and actually formulate their own opinions.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @pwnasaurus  

I will refer to my Games of the Year blog series i wrote at the beginning of the year/end of last year: 

If Half-Life 2 was a bold, inspiring attempt at reimagining the FPS genre, then Portal is the clear heir to its throne, redefining the types of experience possible from a seemingly hoary genre. Short, sparse and effortlessly streamlined, the game constantly surprises and urges the player along. And while much can be made of the layered narrative structure (I still hold that the whole game functions as a meta-commentary on the structure of video games, with the player as Chell, GLaDOS as Valve and cake served up gloriously by Jonathan Coulton), the game wouldn't be any good if not for the expertly designed puzzle dynamics. The majority of the games cerebral play is made up of sorting out how to get across spaces using carefully designed portals, then implementing occasionally tricky timing to actually execute. Chell nevers act offensively, purely in defense, but the amount of empowerment towards the end is rather amazing. You never feel powerless, despite the fact that you have only one weapon throughout. The tug and pull between feeling like you're breaking free from your prison, only to realize that you're following the very path you're designed to go along all the while, is not only a masterful bit of game design and storytelling, but something that will help inspire years of indie game philosophy.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NinjaHunter

I'm not sure why people were expecting a Half-Life 3/episode 3 announcement. They said the surprise was going to be Portal 2 related.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @TheKidNixon: Portal doesn't have any right to half life's "throne" half life is a shooter, portal is a puzzle game, well a first person puzzler (fpp?) i still think portal should be a side project, i would be more interested in a new counter strike than a new portal.
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blair

Whatever, this was a totally lame surprise.  It was "unexpected", only because it happened without warning in the middle of the Playstation conference.  I'm not sure how appropriately this classifies as a surprise, but oh well.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nasar7
    @RsistncE: This happens every couple of months. Also see use of the 'word' janky.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ch13696
    @pwnasaurus: I liked Half-Life a lot. But not enough to keep having them poor out Half-Life after Half-Life. We don't want this to turn into another Call of Duty or any other Activision game. Let them take their time. I appreciate it them giving me other games till then. It takes time for them to figure out how to bring about the story and what to add into it. So c'mon dude. Leave them alone. 

Oh and just like Half-Life, they started the Portal's story from scratch. Basically it's a small story and now with Portal 2 it's going into something bigger. So expect a lot in this game.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @TheKidNixon said:
    " Portal >>>>> Half-Life "
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By DanielJW

Anyone who says this surprise was lame clearly owns a 360 or a good gaming PC.  

I only have PS3. This was a huge surprise for me, and I for one am really excited. 

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @RsistncE said:
    " @HypoXenophobia said:
    " A weird sense of entitlement occurring in this thread "
    Uh, this has nothing to do with a "sense of entitlement". The surprise was lame for people that were expecting more, that's all. Ever since the GB crew have started using the phrase "sense of entitlement" all of a sudden everyone on these forums has adopted the belief that gamers are evil, greedy, bloodsuckers while giant publishers are innocent lambs being preyed upon. Give me a break, I suggest people jump off of the GB's crews flaccid dick and actually formulate their own opinions. "
    Yup, because I've been around since the sites launch. (no) The phrase "sense of entitlement" existed before Giant Bomb. Valve didn't tell anyone Half Life Episode 3 was gonna be announced or to expect it. Portal 2 was announced before hand. If you went in expecting anything else, that is your choice. Don't mince words, assume, or conjugate your own ideas of what developers plans are, and don't become upset when you find out that your wishes don't correlate to their bottom dollar. Gamers aren't greedy, they are whiney. Publishers aren't altruistic, they are only looking out for themselves. Lastly, I implore you, do some research, read a little, before you generalize people for things you know little about.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda disappointed because they said they had a huge surprise and it just turned out to be they are supporting the PS3. I have a PS3, but I also have a PC that I play Valve games on, so it really doesn't do anything for me at all.

DrinkBourbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By DrinkBourbon

I lost my shit when GLADOS started talking and Gable waddled out. Very exciting for me, because I really love Portal. I love Half Life, too, but I never have any realistic expectations for anything Half Life related ever coming out ever, let alone on an announced date. 

Plus, since I don't have a 360 and my "gaming PC" is a crappy laptop, this was a very exciting surprise for me. The kind that made me drop an F bomb in front of my 3 year old...

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RsistncE
    @HypoXenophobia: And not all of us were expecting any particular game related announcement per se, especially since Valve very clearly said last week that the surprise would be Portal 2 related. We just expected something more related to the game itself rather than the platforms it would release on. Yet you're telling me to read a little before I "generalize people" (read: that sentence makes no sense) yet you made the assumption that I expected the announcement to be Half Life related. I didn't, I knew it would be Portal 2 related, I just figured it would be actually related to the game rather than the platforms it may or may not be launching on. D'oh.

@Nasar7: I won't lie, I was in on the "janky" action for a bit there. Guilty as charged.
    leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By leebmx

I love Valve but I think this is a bit of a fuck-up really. They must have known that by announcing a surprise that all the people who were into their games, and therefore getting excited by the surprise (All XBOX and PC gamers only btw) would be expecting something HL related, or at least something that would concern them. Bear in mind that as they hadn't made games for Sony before it is unlikely there were too many Playstation owners getting hyped for what they would announce at E3. For me and a lot of other people this has been a bit of a let down. I know they don't owe me anything and they can make whatever game they like as late as they like it but I think it is a bit weird and self-defeating to get their fan-base all hot and bothered and then not bring them any satisfaction.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shirogane
    @DanielJW said:
    "Anyone who says this surprise was lame clearly owns a 360 or a good gaming PC.   I only have PS3. This was a huge surprise for me, and I for one am really excited.  "

I thought it was a bit dissappointing, and the PS3 is my favourite system, even though i own them all, i'd much rather play stuff on that. 
     Though the dissapointment may have come from the fact that i was expecting a fully working portal gun...
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Bouke

I'm really excited for Portal 2 and it was kind of cool to see Gabe at the Sony conference, after all the shit he talked about the PS3. I can also see people without of a PS3, or with multiple platforms, be pretty dissappointed about this announcement that Valve was hyping up before E3.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By napalm
    @pwnasaurus said:
    " really? the surprise is you like ps3 now and the game that we knew was coming is still coming? where is my half life 3! also I don't understand why everyone loses their pants over portal ya it was a fun little puzzle game but its getting in the way of what matters and thats the next half life. Am I alone on this or does some one else agree with me? "
    Dude, shut up. Portal > Half Life. Yeah, I just went there.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By FreakAche

I support the Portal > Half Life statements that have been made by some people in this thread. Just face it, Valve has grown and Half Life is no longer relevant to what they are as a company. More important is the impact of things that came out of the development of the Half Life series such as the Source engine and Steam.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    Oh, it was money alright.  It's always money.  "
    Probably was money but I think the money in question was the fees Microsoft wanted to charge for Valve DLC as well as the restrictions they wanted to impose on the release of Valve titles and updates.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Napalm said:
    " @pwnasaurus said:
    " really? the surprise is you like ps3 now and the game that we knew was coming is still coming? where is my half life 3! also I don't understand why everyone loses their pants over portal ya it was a fun little puzzle game but its getting in the way of what matters and thats the next half life. Am I alone on this or does some one else agree with me? "
    Dude, shut up. Portal > Half Life. Yeah, I just went there. "
    nice thanks for the intelligent response.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FrankCanada97

I think the surprise was that Steamworks is on the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cfd88ca2dcc2
    deactivated-5cfd88ca2dcc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh...delays. But at least they announced Portal 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.