Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

What about the 80$ Day One DLC hate?

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mortal_sb

when you look up metacritics and see the user reviews for the game, everyone is trashing it because it has "80$ worth of dlc on day one" and that the game is only 3-5 hours long. but i can't find anything on the internetz that says the same.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal-2/user-reviews

are troll kids just trolling or is there truth to this? is it just a shop like the one that team fortress 2 has?
    i still would be pleased even if it has only 5 hours of playtime. ordered the uk version from germany for about 29$. that's not a bad deal.

edit: are these maybe the call of duty kids and fanboys that everyone is talking about?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The metacritic troll bots must be at work here.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho
    @mortal_sb said:
    " when you look up metacritics and see the user reviews "
    That's your problem right there.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Barrock

Literally no idea what they are talking about. Maybe they saw the Potato sack and got confused?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aishan

I saw this myself earlier when I was checking out the aggregate, noticing the user score was ... low, to put it mildly. I put it down to "Oh, the internet.." at first, but I really don't get what all the whining about DLC or missing content is all about. *shrugs*

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe

It's similar to the TF2 store, which people seem to get unreasonably shitheaded about. You can buy little animations or skins for your robot in cooperative multi. As usual, the Steam forums and other places like 4chan are literally functionally retarded and don't understand that these kind of microtransactions help fund their ability to provide the free content updates you see with games like Team Fortress 2 or from other companies like Killing Floor, which charges for skins but updates the game for free. They're also complaining because you can't edit the FOV, so suddenly it's a "horrible console port" and Valve has sold everyone out.

No wonder why no one develops just for the PC anymore- I can't even believe there's many whining entitled brats and they reflect poorly on gamers as a whole. I do feel badly for Valve, because sometimes I find their userbase to be absolutely infuriating.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Th3_James

Hey if the game is only about 5 hours long, that mean's I will finish it. I spent the money and if I enjoy the game I will be happy with it. I've spent money on games that haven't held my intrest all the way through before.

Don't get me wrong, there are great games that are long too. I just also enjoy a quick game that is very well done.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There must just be a set of troll form letters out there that these guys are filling out and posting.

<TITLE> is one of the most disappointing games I've played in many years. I've been a huge fan of the series, but <DEVELOPER> has really destroyed the franchise with this entry. The game is extremely short and adds nothing to the formula. <NEW MECHANIC> completely breaks the game. <PREORDER BONUS> and <DLC> feels like it was cut out of the game. BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Th3_James said:

"Hey if the game is only about 5 hours long, that mean's I will finish it. I spent the money and if I enjoy the game I will be happy with it. I've spent money on games that haven't held my intrest all the way through before.
    Don't get me wrong, there are great games that are long too. I just also enjoy a quick game that is very well done."

My god, someone actually gets it for a change.
    mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mortal_sb
    @benjaebe said:

" It's similar to the TF2 store, which people seem to get unreasonably shitheaded about. You can buy little animations or skins for your robot in cooperative multi. As usual, the Steam forums and other places like 4chan are literally functionally retarded and don't understand that these kind of microtransactions help fund their ability to provide the free content updates you see with games like Team Fortress 2 or from other companies like Killing Floor, which charges for skins but updates the game for free. They're also complaining because you can't edit the FOV, so suddenly it's a "horrible console port" and Valve has sold everyone out.No wonder why no one develops just for the PC anymore- I can't even believe there's many whining entitled brats and they reflect poorly on gamers as a whole. I do feel badly for Valve, because sometimes I find their userbase to be absolutely ingratiating. "

ok, that's exactly what i thought. i normally don't give a f*ck about these kind of user reviews. but here it was something i never heard of before regarding portal 2.

and for checking metacritics: always interesting to see the variety how video gaming sites and magazines score certain games. i'm not a "metacritic buyer", i mostly buy what i like and what seems cool. also: i have the bomb!

@GetEveryone said:

" @Th3_James said:

"Hey if the game is only about 5 hours long, that mean's I will finish it. I spent the money and if I enjoy the game I will be happy with it. I've spent money on games that haven't held my intrest all the way through before.
    Don't get me wrong, there are great games that are long too. I just also enjoy a quick game that is very well done."

My god, someone actually gets it for a change. "
    +1.
    even if i'm reaaally interested in the fallout games, they take way too long for me. i want an immersive experience in 5-9 hours and i'm sold. (i don't want anymore cods, crysis or homefronts. i'm done with those)
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn

I've only played an hour so far. Hour and a half at most. Wheatley has made me immensely happy with his lines. Just for that, it's definitely worth the €30 I spent on the game, even if it does last only three more hours.

Fuck haters.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

The people bitching are the ones with no TF2 hats. Your l

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

Your loss not playing TF2 enough.

Sorry posting from iPhone on mobile site.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Th3_James
    @mortal_sb said:
    " @benjaebe said:

" It's similar to the TF2 store, which people seem to get unreasonably shitheaded about. You can buy little animations or skins for your robot in cooperative multi. As usual, the Steam forums and other places like 4chan are literally functionally retarded and don't understand that these kind of microtransactions help fund their ability to provide the free content updates you see with games like Team Fortress 2 or from other companies like Killing Floor, which charges for skins but updates the game for free. They're also complaining because you can't edit the FOV, so suddenly it's a "horrible console port" and Valve has sold everyone out.No wonder why no one develops just for the PC anymore- I can't even believe there's many whining entitled brats and they reflect poorly on gamers as a whole. I do feel badly for Valve, because sometimes I find their userbase to be absolutely ingratiating. "

ok, that's exactly what i thought. i normally don't give a f*ck about these kind of user reviews. but here it was something i never heard of before regarding portal 2.

and for checking metacritics: always interesting to see the variety how video gaming sites and magazines score certain games. i'm not a "metacritic buyer", i mostly buy what i like and what seems cool. also: i have the bomb!

@GetEveryone said:

" @Th3_James said:

My god, someone actually gets it for a change. "
    +1. even if i'm reaaally interested in the fallout games, they take way too long for me. i want an immersive experience in 5-9 hours and i'm sold. (i don't want anymore cods, crysis or homefronts. i'm done with those) "
    I love fallout and other long games, but what I can't stand is a linear shooter game that drags on. I bought crysis 2 and probably won't ever finish it, thats $60 down the drain.
    mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mortal_sb

oh, yeah. i'm interested how duke nuked forever is going to be received. they are talking about a "old school" lengh up to 20 hours. no shooter in the world can hook me this long.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @mortal_sb said:
    " oh, yeah. i'm interested how duke nuked forever is going to be received. they are talking about a "old school" lengh up to 20 hours. no shooter in the world can hook me this long. "
    Wow! There's no way Duke Nukem Forever is going to keep me engaged for 20 hours.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus
    @Chaser324
    @mortal_sb said:
    " oh, yeah. i'm interested how duke nuked forever is going to be received. they are talking about a "old school" lengh up to 20 hours. no shooter in the world can hook me this long. "
    Wow! There's no way Duke Nukem Forever is going to keep me engaged for 20 hours.
    They're assuming you'll spend half the time throwing a log of shit around the world.
    mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mortal_sb

mmhh. maybe i WILL get 20 hours out of it..

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hunkulese

If you spend $80 you're an idiot. You can get it all for $35 

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @benjaebe said:
    "  I find their userbase to be absolutely ingratiating. "
    Two word and 1 number....Left....4....Dead. I agree 100% with you and there's no one forcing them to buy the extra stuff (and if its things like skins then its not like it improves the game play).
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Legend
    @mortal_sb:  You can buy additional gestures for co-op mode on PC for $2 for each gesture. I think this is what they're complaining about.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Get off of Metacritic. That shit'll rot your brain.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gaff
    @benjaebe said:

" I do feel badly for Valve, because sometimes I find their userbase to be absolutely ingratiating. "

in·gra·ti·at·ing /inˈgrāSHēˌātiNG/

Adjective: Intended to gain approval or favor: "an ingratiating manner".

Damn it, I need to stop being "that" guy.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

They're probably talking about the "Robot Enrichment" store. While it is slightly disgusting, they should just get over it and enjoy the game.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @Gaff said:
    " @benjaebe said:

" I do feel badly for Valve, because sometimes I find their userbase to be absolutely ingratiating. "

in·gra·ti·at·ing /inˈgrāSHēˌātiNG/

Adjective: Intended to gain approval or favor: "an ingratiating manner".

Damn it, I need to stop being "that" guy.
    "
    It has to be someone. 

I like correcting people for some reason.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck
    @KaosAngel: They really should add an "edit" option in the mobile site.
    Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zimbo
    @benjaebe:
    I agree. Sometimes I am ashamed to be associated with these people.  Portal 2 is pretty much exactly what I was expecting out of a sequel and I am having a blast with it. Also, if the single player was any longer than five hours it would probably start to get a bit boring. I prefer a shorter extremely good game compared to a longer game that feels unnecessarily drawn out.

Saying this, does anyone know the length of the coop stuff?
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zaglis

Paying for ANIMATIONS in a not-free2play game

Valve, LEADING THE FUTURE.

Protonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Protonguy
    @benjaebe said:
    " It's similar to the TF2 store, which people seem to get unreasonably shitheaded about. You can buy little animations or skins for your robot in cooperative multi. As usual, the Steam forums and other places like 4chan are literally functionally retarded and don't understand that these kind of microtransactions help fund their ability to provide the free content updates you see with games like Team Fortress 2 or from other companies like Killing Floor, which charges for skins but updates the game for free. They're also complaining because you can't edit the FOV, so suddenly it's a "horrible console port" and Valve has sold everyone out.No wonder why no one develops just for the PC anymore- I can't even believe there's many whining entitled brats and they reflect poorly on gamers as a whole. I do feel badly for Valve, because sometimes I find their userbase to be absolutely infuriating. "
    QFT
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog
    @benjaebe:  Oh, so that's what's in the Mann Co. store in Portal 2. Thank you, I couldn't get a normal answer until now. Well, if it's just aesthetic stuff then it's really nothing to complain about.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @ryanwho said:
    " @mortal_sb said:
    " when you look up metacritics and see the user reviews "
    That's your problem right there. "
    Pretty much, remember when GoW2 and Restistance Fanboys rated each game a 1.0 before they even came out. Pretty much never use Meta-Critic reviews unless its for some obscure game.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By Cirdain

2) There is no “Day 1 DLC”. There is the daft store, with all the overpriced guff that aesthetically augments your co-op character for the enjoyment of the one other person you’re playing with. I’m very happy to be disparaging about such silly expense, but it absolutely isn’t missing content for the game being charged for on top of the box price. That is something that gets me really riled, and something that I think openly mocks the customer – discovering that even though they’ve paid for the game, if they want to full version with all the missions/levels/weapons, then they need to pay more. But that’s in no way the case here. You’re not missing out on anything, but for some pointless skins and hats for the co-op character that make no difference at all to the game. -RockPaperShotgun

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The DLC is all small aesthetic additions for the co-op game. From what I've seen the very large majority of the people on Metacritic giving the game bad reviews are acting like spoiled kids.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By phrosnite

It's true! "The items cost a total of $85.64 though can be purchased in a bundle for $34.99".  Holy Shite

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.