Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Which Version Sells More?

ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ExplodingTuba

Well the game has been out for less than a day at this point and by now I'm sure some of you have already beaten it. However, my concern is not with the greatness of the game, plot points, spoilers, or to personal fan-fiction where Chell and GLaD0S have a relationship. My question concerns cold hard money and numbers and whether or not the events that have transpired between Valve, Microsoft, and Sony  over the course of last year or so will change which copy of Portal 2 sells the most.

Yes I understand that no one should care and that in the end we all win because we get to play Portal 2, however even if we the user don't care, you can be damn sure that Microsoft, Sony and Valve care enough to want to know which version of their game will ultimately sell the most, which is why I pose the question to you, the users. I'm not starting this topic to instigate trolling, or hating on one console or the other, however I believe that this question is a valid one that I haven't seen asked.

I am only one man and could not possibly remember every last bit and bite of information from all of the prior E3 Press Conferences, news articles, etc., which is why I ask you, the GiantBomb Community, which version will sell the most. Until we have the numbers in front of us next month, no one will really know, but it is still a worthy venture to speculate on and try to deduce. With that I thank you for reading this and want to hear your prediction and why.

If you are still interested in answering this question please go to 

I've started this same topic, but it includes a poll.  
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

Probably the PC version.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Crono11

PC. Because it's a Valve game. 

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Valve does not like to release sales figures for Steam - so I fear this question will never really be answered.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Cirdain
    @DetectiveSpecial:
    Yeah but anyway the answer is still PC
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

Valve is going to count all the logins from the PS3 version as PC sales, so PC.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phantomzxro

I say the PC with the ps3 one close behind. If it happens like that i'm sure that's what value wanted in the first place.
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Zippedbinders

It will undoubtedly be the PC version, A) Because Valve still has credibility with the PC community, and B) Holiday Sales

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Sooperspy

Probably in this order

1. PC
    2. PS3
    3. Xbox 360
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrissedoff

if we're talking about north america, i won't be at all surprised if the xbox version still outsells the playstation version. i don't think the bonuses that come with the playstation are something that the average person will care much about, if they even know about it, and i think they're significantly undermined by the fact that you can have the same features, if not more, on the pc version, and you pay less money.
    that said, i think the one think on which we can all agree is that the pc version will probably sell the most copies, but we won't know that for sure unless valve decides to release sales numbers.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fjordson

PS3 > PC > 360.

Just a guess. It's interesting to note that PC has been behind both the console versions on Amazon for a while.

Edit: Fail of a post. Most people (myself included) are probably getting the PC version on Steam so Amazon charts don't mean shit at the moment.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mattbosten

I'd guess it would be PC > 360 > PS3, as chrissedoff said, to the normal consumer the bonuses with the PS3 version probably don't matter, if they're even aware of them. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Fjordson said:
    " PS3 > PC > 360.Just a guess. It's interesting to note that PC has been behind both the console versions on Amazon for a while. "
    That's because anyone who would buy it on PC bought it on Steam. You know, because it's a Steam game.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fjordson
    @ajamafalous:  Fjordson said:
    " Edit: Fail of a post. Most people (myself included) are probably getting the PC version on Steam so Amazon charts don't mean shit at the moment. "
    niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By niall_sg1
    I'd bet that all console sales (PS3 + 360) would outsell the PC, but neither console would outsell the PC on their own. This is ignoring the fact that every PS3 copy comes with a PC copy. 
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Fjordson said:
    " @ajamafalous:  Fjordson said:
    " Edit: Fail of a post. Most people (myself included) are probably getting the PC version on Steam so Amazon charts don't mean shit at the moment. "
    "
    Ah, edit wasn't there when I opened the thread.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fjordson
    @ajamafalous: S'all good =D
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @Fjordson said:

" PS3 > PC > 360.Just a guess. It's interesting to note that PC has been behind both the console versions on Amazon for a while.Edit: Fail of a post. Most people (myself included) are probably getting the PC version on Steam so Amazon charts don't mean shit at the moment. "

Man, no offense, I know you aren't Pachter, but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like one of his many headache inducing predictions
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fjordson
    @Zippedbinders: But...Wii HD!
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Jimbo

360 probably, like it usually does for multi-plat games.  PC in the long term because eventually they'll be selling it on Steam for $1 or something.

SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By SugarRay

Just to put in my experience today in purchasing Portal 2.

Went to local Toys R Us to get both Mortal Kombat (360) and Portal 2 (PS3) for the $50 gift card at around 5pm. PS3 versions were sold out and there was only 1 XBOX 360 version left, while I wanted to take advantage of the PC copy the PS3 version provides,  I ended up getting that 360 copy because I wanted the gift card and it was too late (re:i'm lazy) for me to go to another Toys R Us that had stock.

I was sorta surprised that Portal 2 was sold out on both platforms, I didn't believe it as I cannot remember the last time a high profile game was sold out at any of the retail stores that I frequent but the employee, manager double checked and they were all out of stock.  No clue on the quantity that was supplied to them but employee said he was consistently selling Portal 2 for the day. MK9 had a decent amount of copies still left on shelves of both versions so maybe Portal 2 wasn't as a high order.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Probably PC, but I'm sure the PS3 will be close behind.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#23  Edited By strangeling
    @BenKweller57: Make it a poll.  Will a survey of Giant Bomb users represent the overall sales percentages? I went with the PS3 version because I wasn't sure my current computer would handle it, but of course that nets me the PC version too anyway.
    Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Redbullet685 said:
    " Probably in this order
    1. PC
    2. PS3
    3. Xbox 360
    "
    ^This.
    ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ExplodingTuba
    @strangeling: @strangeling said:

" @BenKweller57: Make it a poll.  Will a survey of Giant Bomb users represent the overall sales percentages? I went with the PS3 version because I wasn't sure my current computer would handle it, but of course that nets me the PC version too anyway. "

Done. Started a new topic, couldn't figure out a way in which to make this current topic a poll so I simply started a new one.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Sooty
    @Fjordson said:

" PS3 > PC > 360.Just a guess. It's interesting to note that PC has been behind both the console versions on Amazon for a while.Edit: Fail of a post. Most people (myself included) are probably getting the PC version on Steam so Amazon charts don't mean shit at the moment. "

Yeah because of that I guess, people buying it on Steam early also got the free copy of Portal as a bonus to give away so that's a factor.

@Jimbo said:
    " 360 probably, like it usually does for multi-plat games.  PC in the long term because eventually they'll be selling it on Steam for $1 or something. "

PC outsold both consoles combined for Orange Box and without Steam sales it still outsold the 360 version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.