Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

365 Games To Play Before You Die - #85: Portal

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

Full List

No Caption Provided

#85: Portal

Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
    Release: 2007
    Developer(s): Valve
    Best Quote: 'Remember, the Aperture Science 'Bring Your Daughter to Work Day' is the perfect time to get her tested.'
    GB Wiki Page

Portal was game that people had the lowest expectations for going into The Orange Box as it was a new IP and little was known about it. That turned out to be a good thing as people were blown away by what a great game it was.

The concept is ingenious. You have a gun which is able to shoot to portals: blue and orange. The portals are linked to each other so as you go through one you come out of the other, keeping all the momentum you had at the time of entry. Your only real objective is to get to the end of the level in anyway you can think of. It's sound simple but the puzzles can end up getting pretty complex and engaging.

Guiding you ( Chell) through the Aperture Science Enrichment Center is GLaDOS, a passive aggressive AI who at first seems quite harmless but becomes more sinister as the game progresses. GLaDOS is easily the best part of Portal and her lines are some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in a game. In a strange way she drives you to keep going forward (even though she actually wants you dead) because her voice is the only one you hear and I became slightly attached to it.

Portal encapsulates what people want from games, a great story and and enjoyable gameplay. It doesn't sacrifice one for the other and instead uses them together in a way that few other games do. It's been two years now so Valve hurry up and release Portal 2.

85 down 280 to go.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

Full List

No Caption Provided

#85: Portal

Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
    Release: 2007
    Developer(s): Valve
    Best Quote: 'Remember, the Aperture Science 'Bring Your Daughter to Work Day' is the perfect time to get her tested.'
    GB Wiki Page

Portal was game that people had the lowest expectations for going into The Orange Box as it was a new IP and little was known about it. That turned out to be a good thing as people were blown away by what a great game it was.

The concept is ingenious. You have a gun which is able to shoot to portals: blue and orange. The portals are linked to each other so as you go through one you come out of the other, keeping all the momentum you had at the time of entry. Your only real objective is to get to the end of the level in anyway you can think of. It's sound simple but the puzzles can end up getting pretty complex and engaging.

Guiding you ( Chell) through the Aperture Science Enrichment Center is GLaDOS, a passive aggressive AI who at first seems quite harmless but becomes more sinister as the game progresses. GLaDOS is easily the best part of Portal and her lines are some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in a game. In a strange way she drives you to keep going forward (even though she actually wants you dead) because her voice is the only one you hear and I became slightly attached to it.

Portal encapsulates what people want from games, a great story and and enjoyable gameplay. It doesn't sacrifice one for the other and instead uses them together in a way that few other games do. It's been two years now so Valve hurry up and release Portal 2.

85 down 280 to go.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

I actually just rebought The Orange Box, having had it on the Xbox for a while.

Unfortunately for me I live in a internet NOTspot, so I have no way of downloading from Steam.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Portal was great and still is. I've downloaded a couple of mods for the PC version. The best being the flash pack version. Yeah, great game.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

So why is the Orange Box on here along with Portal and TF2? I mean, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xandurson

I want to buy The Orange Box because I rented it a while back when I had Gamefly and I loved it! I really want to play Portal and Half-Life 2 again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.