Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

Does anybody realize that there was a portal gun in OF?

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By justinnotjason
    yea in opposing force you get a portal gun.....sorta. It was the radiation weapon in Opposing Force. I doubt I'm the only one to realize this but I just thought I'd bring it up.It could be used as a weapon, or if you right clicked it would shoot a portal that would take you to a "safe" place with ammo.I found a picture of the weapon, it's labeled "displacer" but it seems very simliar to the newer portal gun, except ya know the portal gun would be more advanced. Picture under displacer-http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=HLGameInfo.Detail&id=19&game=4I suppose since Black Mesa and Apecture Science were competeing it wouldn't be to hard to believe they were both working on Portal Technology. Obviously Apecture did it better considering they didn't run there gun on radiation that would hurt you if you charged it to much.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

That's an interesting observation!

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Bennyishere

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so that's what Jeff was talking about. I need to play Opposing Force some time...

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
    Bennyishere said:
    "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so that's what Jeff was talking about. I need to play Opposing Force some time..."
    No it wasn't.

But that's a great observation. Not the same thing, though. The Portal gun let's you shoot out a portal you enter and the portal you exit. The OF weapon just transported you to the Xen-world. Not the same thing, but I get your point.
    Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Bennyishere
    VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Bennyishere said:
    "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, so that's what Jeff was talking about. I need to play Opposing Force some time..."
    No it wasn't.

But that's a great observation. Not the same thing, though. The Portal gun let's you shoot out a portal you enter and the portal you exit. The OF weapon just transported you to the Xen-world. Not the same thing, but I get your point."
    Could you please tell me what was, then?
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HazBazz

Your friend is crazy!
    Crazy!?
    But he's also right!

Avatar image for deactivated-62fae2132a6ff
    deactivated-62fae2132a6ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Bennyishere said:
    "VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Bennyishere said:
    No it wasn't.

But that's a great observation. Not the same thing, though. The Portal gun let's you shoot out a portal you enter and the portal you exit. The OF weapon just transported you to the Xen-world. Not the same thing, but I get your point."
    Could you please tell me what was, then?"

The portal / opposing force link is rather small.
    OF's main character was Adrian Sheppard
    If you look at keyboards within the game, the letters spelling Adrian Sheppard are highlighted. That and also the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device can be abbreviated to ASHPD (A.SHPD...)

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By justinnotjason
    VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Bennyishere said:
    No it wasn't.

Same basic concept though wouldn't you agree?
    It's a gun that shoots a "portal" that transports you to an exit portal...

though besides the basic concept, you're right everything else is different.
    MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MerlijnVH

Most of the research done in Black Mesa was about teleportation. Only they had to use Xen as a border world between the teleportation departure and arrival destinations.
    So the weapon that is used in Opposing Force and Portal isn't the same; whatever Aperture is doing, they seem to have gotten passed the need of a border world. Or have they?

I'm sure we will learn more about how all of this ties together in Episode 3.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By Forcen
    Apature Science Handheld Portal Device
    Adrian Shephard
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DualReaver

I remember beating OF, don't recall this gun though for some reason.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By guiseppe

It's stuff like this that makes me love the story in the Half-Life series :D.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By justinnotjason

IMerlijnVH said:

"Most of the research done in Black Mesa was about teleportation. Only they had to use Xen as a border world between the teleportation departure and arrival destinations.
    So the weapon that is used in Opposing Force and Portal isn't the same; whatever Aperture is doing, they seem to have gotten passed the need of a border world. Or have they?

I'm sure we will learn more about how all of this ties together in Episode 3."
    I agree, though it would mean (to the best of my knowledge of the HL storyline) that Black Mesa developed working and stable portal technology before Apecture did.
    Though in retrospect, where exactly does portal fit into the timeline? it could predate Half Life 1 by any number of years.
    markem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By markem
    This is a really awsome observation, I really need to play that game again.

JustinNotJason
    said:
     I agree, though it would mean (to the best of my knowledge of the HL storyline) that Black Mesa developed working and stable portal technology before Apecture did.
    Though in retrospect, where exactly does portal fit into the timeline? it could predate Half Life 1 by any number of years."

Working, yes. Stable? Not so much. They shouldn't have needed to go to Xen at all. Portal is AFTER the incident at Black Mesa, there's a bunch of clues to it around the center and it's also mentioned in the credit's song. Everything'll fall into place soon enough anyway.
    YuXing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By YuXing
    Arkez said:
    "Bennyishere said:
    "VilhelmNielsen said:
    "Bennyishere said:
    No it wasn't.

Could you please tell me what was, then?"

The portal / opposing force link is rather small.
    OF's main character was Adrian Sheppard
    If you look at keyboards within the game, the letters spelling Adrian Sheppard are highlighted. That and also the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device can be abbreviated to ASHPD (A.SHPD...)

"
    Trivia section on the wiki?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.