Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

Portal: Vinyl Verdict

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

It's taken me two months to get around to writing this review of a game that doesn't take two hours to complete, but here it is!

The Good: Portal's writing is still funny and fresh. Its concept is still entirely unique. And the advanced versions of Test Chambers 13-18 (which I'd never attempted before) made for a real challenge, taking me longer to complete than the entirety of the game in normal mode.

The Bad: Puzzles and plot twists don't pack the same punch when they're already familiar. Plus, Portal's graphics already look dated.

The Stand-out Moment: Nothing can top Chell's escape from her "victory candescence"!

The Verdict: 8.5 (out of 10)

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

It's taken me two months to get around to writing this review of a game that doesn't take two hours to complete, but here it is!

The Good: Portal's writing is still funny and fresh. Its concept is still entirely unique. And the advanced versions of Test Chambers 13-18 (which I'd never attempted before) made for a real challenge, taking me longer to complete than the entirety of the game in normal mode.

The Bad: Puzzles and plot twists don't pack the same punch when they're already familiar. Plus, Portal's graphics already look dated.

The Stand-out Moment: Nothing can top Chell's escape from her "victory candescence"!

The Verdict: 8.5 (out of 10)

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Why not just post the review in the reviews section?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Also... whut?! I disagree with this review...

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @Mr_Skeleton: My "vinyl verdicts" are never timely enough to bother.

@Rufi91: Okay... care to elaborate?
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By bed

bah.. at least you could finish it. i'm on one of the last chambers and i just stopped. i lost all interest that i could have had. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SSully

Really? Puzzles don't seem to pack the same punch they did the first time? That's because you know how to solve them all already. Even if you don't remember exactly you will retain a basic idea of how they work.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Kyreo

@RAmpersaND: I feel like nothing can top the opening to the Chapter "The Part Where He Kills You"

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ReyGitano

@SSully said:

Really? Puzzles don't seem to pack the same punch they did the first time? That's because you know how to solve them all already. Even if you don't remember exactly you will retain a basic idea of how they work.

Agreed, if doing the same puzzles again gets you the same high, there's something wrong happening with your neurons firing in your brain.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @AjayRaz: Not to spoil anything, but it's well worth your time to reach Test Chamber 19! 

@SSully and @SlashseveN303: There's a reason why I posted this "vinyl verdict" as a simple blog entry: it's meant to be more of a mini-memoir on what it felt like to re-visit Portal than any sort of real review.

@Kyreo: Uh... you're thinking of Portal 2. I was writing about the original Portal!
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Because it kinda sucks. I wrote my Portal thing in a day or two, and that's much longer and filled with MANY more pointless memes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.