Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

A first-person puzzle game developed by Valve and graduates of DigiPen, Portal forces a human test subject to run a gauntlet of grueling spatial experiments administered by a malfunctioning, psychotic artificial intelligence named GLaDOS.

Steam question.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DizzyMedal

So Portal is currently on sale at the almighty Steam for $USD1.99. 

And I got the complimentary version that day is was free. 

I was wondering, if I bought this other portal, would I get two sets of achievements? Cause the free one isn't just called straight up 'portal' in my account info, it's named 'Portal - Complimentary (Opt In)'. 

So yeah, two sets? (I am assuming the free one has acheivements ... I should actually play it one day :D )

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By PerryVandell

No, you will not get double achievements for something like that. The bigger question is, why would you pay 2 bucks for a game you already own, just for the achievements?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Kyreo
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " No, you will not get double achievements for something like that. The bigger question is, why would you pay 2 bucks for a game you already own, just for the achievements? "
    /thread
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, the free one has achievements. I doubt you would get more by getting a second copy though.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DizzyMedal
    @Fullmetal216:
    Well, I feel kinda bad. Cause I borrowed a friend's orange box to play portal the first time. So it's not like I paid valve anything for it. And then there was the free one where I still didn't pay them for it. And if I didn't have the free one, I'd totally pay them $2 for it, cause it's a pretty good game. But yeah, the cheapskate in me kind of doesn't want to pay them for it now, was looking to see if there was maybe double achievements as an incentive.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell
    @DizzyMedal: Rest assured, there is nothing to feel bad about. Portal (and the Orange Box) sold very well when they came out. If the creators of the game made their game free, then you are not at fault. Besides, you will soon learn to hate valve for all their damn deals. Seriously, you will go bankrupt if you don't watch yourself. (I don't actually hate Valve but you get the point)
    Dziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Dziggy

It wouldn't even let you purchase it again if you already have it in your library. Don't feel bad about taking it when it was free, they wanted to give it to as many people as possible. They keep putting it on sale to advertise it, and get as many people to buy it as they can, so more people will buy Portal 2. They're more focused on making profit from that than Portal now.

But if you really wanna pay for it, you could buy it as a gift for a friend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.