Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 05, 2017

The second game released with the Prey title, the player assumes the role of Morgan Yu as they attempt to escape the space station Talos-1 after a catastrophic alien outbreak.

What I saw of Prey at Gamescom

Metabie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just got back from gamescom and I wanted to share with you what I saw of Prey. Some of this might be out of order.

Prey was shown together with Dishonored 2, these were both shown in video form.

The Prey video started with the character in a room of what eventually is shown to be a space station. After walking through a corridor a bit, we were faced with the first "mimic" disguised as an object in the environment (one even was in the form of a pistol you would normally pick up). These black headcrab looking things (as seen in the latest trailer) are the "weakest" type of enemy seen in the video and after pulling out a wrench (melee weapon) and hitting them a few times, they were easily taken care of.

A bit further down we are faced with a small puzzle in the form of a locked room with a small opening in a window. Then we were told about the "special powers" the protagonist has, one of which is an ability very much like the mimics, in which you can become or infest (unclear whether you became a copy or you possessed the object) an object. This power was used to become a small object that was then controlled through the hole in the window. After the puzzle, we found a sort of tool that gets placed over the eye (including needles) to insert a new ability/upgrade. There were multiple upgrade trees and upgrades to choose from, a fire aoe ability was chosen as upgrade.

The video then did a small time jump forward and we picked up a "glue gun". Quickly after picking up the gun, a multitude of small mimics attacked, some transforming into objects from the environment. The glue gun stuck them to the ground and rendered them immobile after which the previously earned fire ability easily took care of them. The glue gun was used a bit more afterwards, to close fire hazards and even to create pathways up walls (the glue becomes solid and you can walk on it)

Then there were encounters with human sized mimics, a shotgun was used to dispatch them. A pathway was blocked and we were introduced to a grenade that not only sucks up everything around it but transforms those items into small little cubes of resources that can be used while crafting (yes, this also works on some enemies such as robots). The grenade is tossed, the pathway is unblocked and resources are gained. Some more encounters occur and a blueprint is found for a propel system which then then gets crafted with the small resource cubes (crafting happens at some sort of workbenches).

With this propel system we headed into space (around the space station) and looted a body that was floating around (for a quest). After this we headed back inside and were faced with a gigantic mimic, combat ensues and the video ends during the fight.

Somewhere in the demo there was also the ability to pick up large items and throw them with great force as well as a sneak mechanic using the mimic ability.

As I said some of this might be in the wrong order. The game looked great and what was shown was impressive, the glue gun being used as a wall mounting tool was probably the most interesting part for me.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metabie thanks for jotting down your thoughts.

I have one question: what is the premise of the game? Synopsis rather.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

So is this game kind of like Dead Space in that it's just you and a bunch of monsters on a space station or is there more to the game world than that?

Metabie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rahf: It very much felt action thriller like, like a mixture between bioshock and dead space. While I am uncertain if this is the case, I think the synopsis is that you are one of the few or last survivor on this space station and you're finding out what happened + trying to get out while not letting the monster escape

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metabie said:

@rahf: It very much felt action thriller like, like a mixture between bioshock and dead space. While I am uncertain if this is the case, I think the synopsis is that you are one of the few or last survivor on this space station and you're finding out what happened + trying to get out while not letting the monster escape

So that answers my question then. This game is probably not for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.