Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Ubisoft returns to the Sands of Time universe for a fourth time in this May 2010 release, set in between the first two games in the trilogy and coinciding with the release of the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie.

Remembering The Past With Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

• 82 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Plenty of bad new business for the prince to get mixed up in.
    If you asked most people these days to remember the old Prince of Persia games, they probably wouldn't immediately think all the way back to Jordan Mechner's seminal, rotoscoped PC action game from the '80s. More likely, their minds would run to The Sands of Time, the rampantly successful 2003 attempt to bring Mechner's acrobatic Arabian adventure into 3D on modern consoles. Ubisoft went and reinvented Prince of Persia again in 2008, recasting the prince as a foppish vagabond in a painterly world that didn't actually look much like Persia at all.

But it's The Sands of Time (and to some extent its less-revered sequels) that really defines what Prince of Persia is these days. Heck, that's even the game Jerry Bruckheimer's big summer popcorn flick will be based on this May. So it's really not surprising that Ubisoft is also returning to that well with the next Prince of Persia game, The Forgotten Sands. There's no Jake Gyllenhaal in here though, as this game is (thankfully) not just a retread of the movie, though it is shipping around the same time the movie hits theaters. Instead, The Forgotten Sands is an untold original story set in the seven-year period between Sands of Time and its egregiously darker, edgier sequel Warrior Within. So you'll get to see the process and the events that replaced the prince's youthful naivete with emo eye makeup in all of their grueling glory.

Then again, Ubisoft made it clear the prince isn't exactly a Godsmack fan just yet in The Forgotten Sands. This game will lean heavily toward The Sands of Time in both tone and gameplay, so this is basically the prince you remember from that original game. You've also got all the major elements that made that game tick back in action here. The requisite time-rewinding mechanics are here (sans mystical dagger). The prince's Sands of Time voice actor, Yuri Lowenthal, is back. And perhaps most importantly, the game features plenty of gigantic, elaborate puzzle rooms full of pillars, flag poles, ladders, and ledges that you'll need to climb up, jump over, and shimmy across to navigate properly. And unlike in 2008's game, if you miss a jump or get cleaved in half by a giant blade, you certainly can and will die.

Wall-running and other gymnastics are back in full effect.
    Ubi didn't talk much about the specifics of the storyline here, other than to say that the game opens with the prince journeying to meet his brother in a faraway kingdom and finding the palace under siege by a mysterious army of sand creatures upon his arrival. The curse that's affected this kingdom has turned all of its residents to sand and frozen them in eerie, still-life pantomimes of whatever they were doing at the time of the assault. So while you won't interact with a lot of living characters as you make your way through the palace, you will see the hapless citizenry frozen in their defense of their kingdom to remind you who it is you're trying to save. It's a stark effect more than a little reminiscent of the ash-covered people of Pompeii, forever locked in their final moments.

Respect for continuity aside, you can't shoehorn a game like this into an established franchise's timeline without adding some kind of twist on the core mechanics, so the designers at Ubisoft Montreal have given the prince a new list of elemental powers that work their way into the acrobatic puzzle-solving. Naturally, there's one core power each for water, earth, wind and fire--and though Ubisoft plainly missed a golden opportunity by not licensing Earth, Wind, and Fire for the soundtrack, these powers look like they'll add some interesting timing elements to the gymnastic gameplay segments.

Your wind power, for instance, is a rapid mid-air dash that will effectively teleport you from one place to another almost immediately. And the water power turns flowing water solid for a few seconds, letting you use it as a surface to run across or jump off of. Can't figure out a way forward? Why not turn that waterfall into a--wait for it--water wall! Ha! Uh, anyway, I saw another section where the water power turned horizontal jets of water shooting out of a fountain into solid poles that the prince could swing across to reach the far side of a chasm. The places that you'll need to use water as a climbing surface looked pretty self-evident, but the effect looked good in its own right. 

Water is your acrobatic friend when you can freeze it in place and turn it solid.
     Water is your acrobatic friend when you can freeze it in place and turn it solid.

It will also add some excitement to the basic platforming and jumping, from the looks of things. Forgotten Sands seems to be emphasizing especially precise control of the prince and strict timing in your jumps and rolls, almost as if in response to the lax demands of the last Prince of Persia game. The demo I got to watch included numerous sequences where the player had to use multiple powers in conjunction, such as running up a solid waterfall, jumping off of it, then disengaging the water power immediately in mid-air to liquify another waterfall, allowing you to pass through it. Failure to combine the right powers and jumps in the right order and with sufficient speed will surely contribute to a premature demise here.

Not all the enemies will be measly skeleton fodder.
    The combat in the admittedly early build of Forgotten Sands I got to see looked a bit less polished than the acrobatics and elemental powers. Similar to Sands of Time, the fighting here will focus on large numbers of enemies--up to 50, Ubi says--and give you moves that let you manage them effectively by crowd-surfing over them, leaping from one to another, or knocking down large crowds of enemies at once. But unlike the precision melee strikes in Batman: Arkham Asylum--my personal gold standard for excellent third-person melee combat--the fighting here seemed a little more button-mashy, with broad swings of the sword hitting multiple enemies at once. You'll also be able to unlock new elemental powers from a skill tree as you progress through the story and earn experience, but none of these powers will be integral to the puzzle-solving and will primarily tie into spicing up the combat.

The Forgotten Sands really seems like an acknowledgement on Ubisoft's part of the ongoing, widespread adoration for The Sands of Time. The 20 or so minutes of the game I saw gave the distinct impression that the designers are trying to reprise and improve on the aspects of that game that fans loved so much, while downplaying some of the questionable decisions in tone and gameplay mechanics that were made in Sands of Time's direct sequels and the 2008 offshoot. I'd like to see more of this one before I make any blanket recommendations, but then, it probably also says something about the game's potential that I would in fact like to see more of it. For now, let's say that Prince of Persia fans already caught in a sandstorm of excitement for the movie's release in May should probably also keep an eye on The Forgotten Sands as the summer release dates for both approaches. 

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

If you asked most people these days to remember the old Prince of Persia games, they probably wouldn't immediately think all the way back to Jordan Mechner's seminal, rotoscoped PC action game from the '80s. More likely, their minds would run to The Sands of Time, the rampantly successful 2003 attempt to bring Mechner's acrobatic Arabian adventure into 3D on modern consoles. Ubisoft went and reinvented Prince of Persia again in 2008, recasting the prince as a foppish vagabond in a painterly world that didn't actually look much like Persia at all.

But it's The Sands of Time (and to some extent its less-revered sequels) that really defines what Prince of Persia is these days. Heck, that's even the game Jerry Bruckheimer's big summer popcorn flick will be based on this May. So it's really not surprising that Ubisoft is also returning to that well with the next Prince of Persia game, The Forgotten Sands. There's no Jake Gyllenhaal in here though, as this game is (thankfully) not just a retread of the movie, though it is shipping around the same time the movie hits theaters. Instead, The Forgotten Sands is an untold original story set in the seven-year period between Sands of Time and its egregiously darker, edgier sequel Warrior Within. So you'll get to see the process and the events that replaced the prince's youthful naivete with emo eye makeup in all of their grueling glory.

Then again, Ubisoft made it clear the prince isn't exactly a Godsmack fan just yet in The Forgotten Sands. This game will lean heavily toward The Sands of Time in both tone and gameplay, so this is basically the prince you remember from that original game. You've also got all the major elements that made that game tick back in action here. The requisite time-rewinding mechanics are here (sans mystical dagger). The prince's Sands of Time voice actor, Yuri Lowenthal, is back. And perhaps most importantly, the game features plenty of gigantic, elaborate puzzle rooms full of pillars, flag poles, ladders, and ledges that you'll need to climb up, jump over, and shimmy across to navigate properly. And unlike in 2008's game, if you miss a jump or get cleaved in half by a giant blade, you certainly can and will die.

Ubi didn't talk much about the specifics of the storyline here, other than to say that the game opens with the prince journeying to meet his brother in a faraway kingdom and finding the palace under siege by a mysterious army of sand creatures upon his arrival. The curse that's affected this kingdom has turned all of its residents to sand and frozen them in eerie, still-life pantomimes of whatever they were doing at the time of the assault. So while you won't interact with a lot of living characters as you make your way through the palace, you will see the hapless citizenry frozen in their defense of their kingdom to remind you who it is you're trying to save. It's a stark effect more than a little reminiscent of the ash-covered people of Pompeii, forever locked in their final moments.

Respect for continuity aside, you can't shoehorn a game like this into an established franchise's timeline without adding some kind of twist on the core mechanics, so the designers at Ubisoft Montreal have given the prince a new list of elemental powers that work their way into the acrobatic puzzle-solving. Naturally, there's one core power each for water, earth, wind and fire--and though Ubisoft plainly missed a golden opportunity by not licensing Earth, Wind, and Fire for the soundtrack, these powers look like they'll add some interesting timing elements to the gymnastic gameplay segments.

Your wind power, for instance, is a rapid mid-air dash that will effectively teleport you from one place to another almost immediately. And the water power turns flowing water solid for a few seconds, letting you use it as a surface to run across or jump off of. Can't figure out a way forward? Why not turn that waterfall into a--wait for it--water wall! Ha! Uh, anyway, I saw another section where the water power turned horizontal jets of water shooting out of a fountain into solid poles that the prince could swing across to reach the far side of a chasm. The places that you'll need to use water as a climbing surface looked pretty self-evident, but the effect looked good in its own right. 

It will also add some excitement to the basic platforming and jumping, from the looks of things. Forgotten Sands seems to be emphasizing especially precise control of the prince and strict timing in your jumps and rolls, almost as if in response to the lax demands of the last Prince of Persia game. The demo I got to watch included numerous sequences where the player had to use multiple powers in conjunction, such as running up a solid waterfall, jumping off of it, then disengaging the water power immediately in mid-air to liquify another waterfall, allowing you to pass through it. Failure to combine the right powers and jumps in the right order and with sufficient speed will surely contribute to a premature demise here.

The combat in the admittedly early build of Forgotten Sands I got to see looked a bit less polished than the acrobatics and elemental powers. Similar to Sands of Time, the fighting here will focus on large numbers of enemies--up to 50, Ubi says--and give you moves that let you manage them effectively by crowd-surfing over them, leaping from one to another, or knocking down large crowds of enemies at once. But unlike the precision melee strikes in Batman: Arkham Asylum--my personal gold standard for excellent third-person melee combat--the fighting here seemed a little more button-mashy, with broad swings of the sword hitting multiple enemies at once. You'll also be able to unlock new elemental powers from a skill tree as you progress through the story and earn experience, but none of these powers will be integral to the puzzle-solving and will primarily tie into spicing up the combat.

The Forgotten Sands really seems like an acknowledgement on Ubisoft's part of the ongoing, widespread adoration for The Sands of Time. The 20 or so minutes of the game I saw gave the distinct impression that the designers are trying to reprise and improve on the aspects of that game that fans loved so much, while downplaying some of the questionable decisions in tone and gameplay mechanics that were made in Sands of Time's direct sequels and the 2008 offshoot. I'd like to see more of this one before I make any blanket recommendations, but then, it probably also says something about the game's potential that I would in fact like to see more of it. For now, let's say that Prince of Persia fans already caught in a sandstorm of excitement for the movie's release in May should probably also keep an eye on The Forgotten Sands as the summer release dates for both approaches. 

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Wow big fan of the SOT series. This seems pretty interesting

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I wish Ubisoft would continue the story from the last game. I liked the Sands of Time stuff, but I liked the last game more.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By TimeWaffle

i'm worried that this game won't turn out so good

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By myslead

turning the water into solid stuff is pretty neat.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By phrosnite

I don't know why people hate Warrior Within so much. IMO it's the best game in the series. If you hate it because of the "emo thing" I can't understand that too because in my country we don't have this problem. We got no emo kids here or at least we didn't have when I played the game back in 2005. I play all games in the Sands of Time Trilogy once every year.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Binman88

I didn't know the prince was voiced by Yosuke!

I don't like that the character design is almost exactly the same as Warrior Within.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Regal

the rampantly successful 2003 attempt to bring Mechner's acrobatic Arabian adventure into 3D on modern consoles. "

Ahem. 

PERSIAN. It's in the title.  

Looking forward to it, played SOT and even the old Jordan games after the fact. I liked the new 360 POP but I think it's good that they are not doing that game again. 

truebornracer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By truebornracer

I don't get why everyone hates the 2008 game, I really enjoyed it, and REALLY want to see where that story goes after that conclusion.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Daryl

Totally read this as pop before noticing the abbreviation. 

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZeroCast

Thanks for that awesome insight Bard!

Gorikka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gorikka
    @truebornracer: I just got it and I'm really enjoying it. It's beautiful and fun to play, even if it is incredibly easy. 
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#13  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Part of what I think made Sands of Time work was Mechner's own hand in it.  But it's always hard to tell where he actually affected how the game was made.  It's not like he signed every little bit of dialogue or design :)  Glad they're pointing to that great game, though.

I think of Shadow and Flame as one of the coolest PoP games, and first think of either Sands or the original when people first mention the franchise. 

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Jayzilla

He's just edgy OK? He has a lot of teen angst.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

I think if it really is as close to SoT as they say, people may start to realise PoP '08 perhaps didn't get the praise it deserved.  I loved SoT when I played it, but that was seven years ago - put it side-by-side today with PoP '08 and I don't think I could honestly tell you that SoT is the superior game.

If anything, popular gaming as in general has moved even further in the direction of PoP '08 - most people today do not go into a game wanting or expecting any degree of challenge.

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Zaapp1

"Hey Yosuke!  Hit that big-ass time-rewinding potion!  It never runs out, dawg!" - Funky Student

Advertisement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Advertisement

I didn't even know about the 80's game.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nasar7

Combat was my least favorite part of all the SoT games. I would be happy with a refined version of PoP '08s combat system.

In fact, I would be happy with a sequel to PoP '08. Sands of Time was great but the trilogy is closed, I don't really feel the need to get back into that game's universe.

sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sublime90

this actually seems pretty sweet.

Adanux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Adanux

As someone who considers the Sands of Time as one of my personal favorite games of all time, I could not be more excited at the direction that they're taking this game.  I replay through SoT about once every 2 years, and I still haven't made it more than 2 hours into Warrior Within.  Bringing back the original voice actor was a great choice, and I hope they bring back Farah's voice actress if she makes an appearance in the game.  On that subject, Farah's VA was always a mystery to me since she appeared as the lead in one game, hit her role out of the park, and then never appeared in anything else (at least nothing listed on imdb).

The one downside of this game is that it's at least temporarily stopping the production of a Prince of Persia game based on the new prince.  I really enjoyed that game, and I felt like it was a few small changes away from being amazing.  Hopefully a sequel is made if only to provide some closure seeing as both endings are ridiculous cliffhangers.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Lilarcor

Did the people at Ubisoft say anything about a future followup to the 2008 reboot? I may be in the minority, but I really enjoyed it and hope they continue that story.

I loved Sands of Time too, so I'm more than happy to revisit that character provided this game turns out well. Hopefully we'll see more soon that proves it's not just a quick cash-in on the movie release.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freezing time does not turn liquid matter into solid matter....lame. I might be nitpicking here though.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Regal

I'm excited but at the same time I am sad to see that they didn't take full inspiration of the Arkham combat system. I think I have played those challenges from top to bottom several times over. It's freaking AMAZING. Or as you say, a gold standard. Assassins Creed II didn't quite match it... not by a long shot honestly, even though their system isn't terrible. So I'm not holding my breath that Ubisoft will crack the nut this time around. 

Though the SOT system was a great thing in its day too, AA's "free-flow" is hands down the most important gameplay mechanical achievement of last year, I wish it would do for third person action games what Gears of War did for third person shooters with it's cover mechanic. Keep preaching about it in your articles! 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phrosnite

LOL! People want a sequel to the 2008 game. Rofl! The game was good but it can't hold a candle to the previous games. As a HUGH fan of PoP games I am excited about the new game and movie. Ubisoft Montreal are 2000 people up there and I have no doubt that can do a great job with this game but I just hope this is not some movie cash in. There are like two months before it goes gold and the journalists are saying it was not polished... I won't might if they delay the game and release it in November. Ubisoft don't screw up my beloved PoP game.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phrosnite
    @Regal said:

" I'm excited but at the same time I am sad to see that they didn't take full inspiration of the Arkham combat system. I think I have played those challenges from top to bottom several times over. It's freaking AMAZING. Or as you say, a gold standard. Assassins Creed II didn't quite match it... not by a long shot honestly, even though their system isn't terrible. So I'm not holding my breath that Ubisoft will crack the nut this time around.  Though the SOT system was a great thing in its day too, AA's "free-flow" is hands down the most important gameplay mechanical achievement of last year, I wish it would do for third person action games what Gears of War did for third person shooters with it's cover mechanic. Keep preaching about it in your articles!  "

Assassin's Creed's (lol) combat system is bad. You are just waiting for a counter. Warrior Within's combat system is awesome and I hope they have improved on that. I haven't played Batman yet but from what I've heard and seen it's not complex or anything. Sure it look great but I want challenge, not some casual game like PoP 2008 was.

P.S. - Why can't I paste in my previous posts so that I won't double post!?!?
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By rjaylee

Is anyone else sick of the Prince being painted with this totally care-free Han Solo-running mercenary kind of attitude?
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Kazona

I am excited for a return to the SoT prince, but at the same time I am kind of disappointed that there is no word of a sequel to 2008's Prince of Persia. It might have its flaws, but it was by no means a bad game, and I was really looking forward to a sequel.

Either way, I am looking forward to this game.

Voidoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Voidoid

In my book, all game developers who did not have Earth, Wind and Fire in their games missed a golden opportunity.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy

Although my favorite of the 4 PoP games released so far was 2008 one, this looks great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So we need a God of War game starring Chie, a parkour game starring Yosuke, and a point and click adventure game for the DS starring Detective Naoto and her bodyguard Kanji.  Got it.  Awesome.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By teh_destroyer

Hopefully its better than that crap they released a year or so ago.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By jacksukeru

*crosses arms* Ok Ubi, you've got my attention, don't screw this up now.

I really liked Sands of Time, well enough to play through it like four times anyway. 
    I also liked Warrior Within, the combat was nicer and cutting enemies in half was cool, I also really enjoyed the Back to the Future-esque story (Sand phantom-thingie yeah!), though the prince's in-game model was kinda ugly. Also multible endings and a water sword :D

I'm kinda split over The Two Thrones, I wasn't totally into what it did with the story as it felt like it was trying to make up for the changes that the second game had made (and you could no longer cut enemies in half!)  Also I wanted the "dark prince" teased at the end of WW to be the "other" prince he screwed into getting taken by The Dahaka with his time traveling shenanigans, it didn't tie together well at all. 
    I enjoyed Prince of Persia while I played it. It had great visuals and solid gameplay, but the lack of time rewinding powers, story oddities (The Prince's lack of origins, the fairytale land, the ENDING), constant backtracking and that the traversal gameplay comes up with very few new tricks during the game, etc. made it ultimately forgettable to me. 

Not saying I wouldn't be interested to see what they could do with a sequel though, but if that's more of the same, I'm done.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By bakumatsu
    @phrosnite said:

" I don't know why people hate Warrior Within so much. IMO it's the best game in the series. If you hate it because of the "emo thing" I can't understand that too because in my country we don't have this problem. We got no emo kids here or at least we didn't have when I played the game back in 2005. I play all games in the Sands of Time Trilogy once every year. "

Totally agree on that. For me, the best game in the series was Warrior Within and i'm getting that vibe outta this one, so sweet for me. I was so dissapointed with Two Thrones..That voiceover of the prince..urghhh

Oh wait i saw now that the actor making the voice for the prince is the one of SoT and TT and not the one from WW (who also does the voice for Travis Touchdown in No More Heroes)..Thats a bummer..
    Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Regal
    @Adanux: It's one of my favorite games also, and Warrior Within was no less than a crime on the atmosphere and artistic achievements of SOT.  I remember that it broke up a very large POP community of fans who just couldn't stand it turning into a generic God of War clone.   

It's funny but I remember after the fact thinking about them undoing all what they have done and picking up where SOT left off with that brilliant ending, bringing back Yuri and all that craziness that was never going to happen. The weird thing is though, that I don't know why they are doing this now. Most people which I know who were huge SOT fans, are long gone by now. I mean they dropped the ball hard for the fans of the first game. A friend of mine who tipped me off on the game couldn't find anything to enjoy in the sequels and she doesn't own a current gen console now because this was all she played on the PS2 anyway. These people they have made apathetic to the series are the same people they try to apologize to by saying "Hey Yuri's back, you know the guy we fired for a new guy once POP was a success and we sold out to gore and sex and rock music". I don't if I should congratulate them or simply say fuck you ubisoft ! I reserving my judgement but I'm leaning towards the latter. Partly because this may very well be a rushed product to coincide with the movie.   

Actually, after reading this quote from wikipedia: 
    The Forgotten Sands is to "feature many of the fan-favorite elements from the original series as well as new gameplay innovations", according to a press release from Ubisoft  

I'm going with Fuck You Ubisoft.  
    soybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By soybob

Do you have to freeze time so that you have a constant internet connection to play it?

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lhaymehr

Does this come with Ubisoft new DRM system feature?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#38  Edited By Icemael
    Balls this looks awesome.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By haggis

The original Prince of Persia was one of my favorite games as a kid. Brutally punishing and rewarding all at the same time. There was, if I remember correctly, a 3D attempt at the game between the side-scrolling original and Sands of Time that absolutely sucked. But Sands of Time was a fantastic game at the time. The others ... not so great. Warrior Within was fine, except for the tone. The 2008 game I only played for a few minutes, and it was ... strange. I'm all for going back to Sands of Time for inspiration, so long as they don't get stuck in a rut.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By _Nuno_

The storyline was broken after they decided to make a trilogy out of the first game. I loved how the ending was the same as the beginning. It just showed how time traveling could make for excellent gameplay and story twists. 
    Then they just put the guy on a boat for the beginning of the WW, added a lot of blood and said "OK, now you're being hunted by this demon-thing, the Dahaka or whatever and you gotta kill stuff. Why? Shut up! That's why!"

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#41  Edited By jacksukeru
    @Regal: I don't really see the God of War comparison, even in style and definetly not in gameplay. Anyho, what was it that you so disliked while playing the sequels, apart from the style change? (Will fully agree that the rock music in WW was total bs)
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#42  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It seems kind of weird that Ubisoft is going back to a trilogy that they supposedly closed the book on. Did the new PoP sell poorly or something?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phrosnite
    @ArbitraryWater said:

" It seems kind of weird that Ubisoft is going back to a trilogy that they supposedly closed the book on. Did the new PoP sell poorly or something? "

Actually it did pretty well. In January 2009 Ubisoft said that it has sold 2.2 million units worldwide. But this game is not what fans wanted. The story and the art style were great but the combat system was meh and NO REWIND TIME mechanic.

I find it funny how Assassin's Creed is more popular than PoP now. Also the scarf around the assassin's waist is a reference to WW. But AC and AC2 sold each 8 million units and that's why Ubisoft is focusing on that and forgot about the prince. I did not like AC at all. It was waaaaaay too easy and lazy (hold a button to do everything) but the story was good, especially the end when they gave the finger to all religions.
     Now that the movie is almost here I guess they thought they can make some extra money which is F-ing BS if you ask me.

I think they should make a game called Princess of Time starring Kaileena( actually she is the Empress of Time). She is pretty cool and she is a great warrior :D Just kidding... maybe.
    Avatar image for anthony_galindo
    Anthony_Galindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Anthony_Galindo

Although Sands of Time is my favorite game, and I'm excited for this, I do hope that they don't decide to abandon the newer storyline either.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#45  Edited By ImperiousRix

Although this game looks exteremely better than what I thought it would, I still feel severely confused and upset that they completely abandoned the thread they were going with in 2008's POP.  I loved so many things about that game, and it seemed like, although well-recieved, people got really hung up on a few of its flaws, none of which I think deservedly retracted from the experience. 
    Also, the Sands of Time trilogy had such a satisfying end, must they really start dragging it up again?

wackojackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wackojackman

preferred the 2008 version so much more! where is the continuation to that?! :(

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By popmasterruler
    @phrosnite said:
    " I don't know why people hate Warrior Within so much. IMO it's the best game in the series. If you hate it because of the "emo thing" I can't understand that too because in my country we don't have this problem. We got no emo kids here or at least we didn't have when I played the game back in 2005. I play all games in the Sands of Time Trilogy once every year. "

Agreed,Warrior Within wasn't even emo at all.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am that guy who liked warrior within the most.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Having only play SoT, this sounds interesting, although it clearly won't be as good, due to the lack of balloon pants.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By Alphazero
    @wackojackman said:

" preferred the 2008 version so much more! where is the continuation to that?! :( "

They called it Uncharted 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.