Follow

Prince of Persia

Franchise »

Prince of Persia is an action adventure series created by Jordan Mechner in the late eighties. The original was a beloved 2D platformer, while the series' later incarnation in The Sands of Time set the bar for modern platforming and continues to influence games a decade later.

Unable to die in the new Prince of Persia: Your thoughts?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Axersia

So I recently discovered you can't actually die in the new Prince of Persia, because Elika (the female supporting character) will just save/heal you when you get in danger.

This made me a bit pissed. How am I suppose to feel any sense of failure? At least use the Sands of Time for something like that. I died plenty of times in the Sands of Time trilogy, it didn't make the games too easy at all. But I think this will just make me lazy and uncaring...

It also makes me anxious of what they might do to Beyond Good & Evil 2, since they said they would make it easier than the original game, which is already one of the easiest games I have ever played.

What are your thoughts on it?

TheStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheStranger

You can't die? Not even when you're fighting those monsters?

Uh.....well, that kinda lowered a bit of my hype for it.

1oneWON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 1oneWON

Well that's the way it was in BioShock with the rejuvenation refrigerators all around. It works fine and keeps you from unnecessarily backtracking. Unless you mean you literally don't even get to a point of having to restart a life. If that's the case that it reminds of (I have to say it because it's such a George Carlin word) the pussification of this country. There are little league sports that don't declare winners of games. It's pathetic. So many kids are going to grow up with not only a sense of failure at school (no child left behind), in competitive sports, but also in video games. I wonder what's going to happen to them the first time a boss says they're a no good piece of horse dung and throws them out on the street.

Foxdemon2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Foxdemon2k

I love the fact that you can't die. Needing help from Elika is a sign of failure anyways.

Brucie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brucie
    1oneWON said:
    "Well that's the way it was in BioShock with the rejuvenation refrigerators all around. It works fine and keeps you from unnecessarily backtracking. Unless you mean you literally don't even get to a point of having to restart a life. If that's the case that it reminds of (I have to say it because it's such a George Carlin word) the pussification of this country. There are little league sports that don't declare winners of games. It's pathetic. So many kids are going to grow up with not only a sense of failure at school (no child left behind), in competitive sports, but also in video games. I wonder what's going to happen to them the first time a boss says they're a no good piece of horse dung and throws them out on the street.
    "
    Haha that whole point you made is from George's last HBO special.
    Page1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Page1
    1oneWON said:
    Well that's the way it was in BioShock with the rejuvenation refrigerators all around.
    I thought they made the game too easy. They even enabled you to fight a big daddy with no medpacks.
    Dark_Messiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dark_Messiah

What the fuck? That sucks, challange is what makes games fun 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh I am not into this new PoP anyways, honestly. The art style is the major turn off, they seem to be going the lazy route..

Orange_Pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Orange_Pork

All it did was remove a step between dying and restarting. Instead of getting a "GAME OVER. CONTINUE?" screen and pressing A on the confirm, you just automagically appear at the last 'checkpoint' you passed by on solid ground.

Other than that, there's no real difference.

Dachef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Dachef

I think it would make a nice option. it would be good for beginners, but It's be cool if you could make Erika not revive you. It would definitely increase the challenge and sense of danger.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Whisperkill

Its Bioshock all over again

Excuberance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Excuberance

I think its great.

The challenge is not really lessened, it just means the time between retries are smaller, if it works as I have heard. The game just doesn't punish you as hard as it could.

In most games, when you die, you get respawned, to get back into the action. Either that or you have a save system. The only difference here is that the time between missing a jump, and trying it again is smaller. No real difference, especially not from the SoT games.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b56fc03f47
    deactivated-590b56fc03f47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the healing will take a while just as much as a checkpoint reload or respawn so it doesnt really matter. Death never has a realistic effect in games, most of the time theres no punishment so no worry.

DamaskRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DamaskRose

its kinda crap you cant die but if it benefits the story like recall did then i have no problem, you never know it might be really hard pulling off acrobatic skills and the like!!

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By epgpx

I don't have a problem with it but I do have a problem with Elika, why did they felt the need to add a sidekick? I mean come on, why would they do that? If you go to the Ubidays site, and read their poll question "Which aspect of the new Prince Of Persia are you most excited about?", 39% of the people voted for the story while 9% of the people voted for Elika. It shows that I'm not alone in that nobody likes her but then again, it shows that people for some reason like the story and that's shocking because Elika is the story or part of the story.

Meresin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meresin
    denshuu said:
    "All it did was remove a step between dying and restarting. Instead of getting a "GAME OVER. CONTINUE?" screen and pressing A on the confirm, you just automagically appear at the last 'checkpoint' you passed by on solid ground.

Other than that, there's no real difference.
    "

Agreed. I don't see what difference it'll make. You'll know you've failed if you need her to save you. :P
    Meresin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meresin
    EPGPX said:
    "I don't have a problem with it but I do have a problem with Elika, why did they felt the need to add a sidekick? I mean come on, why would they do that? If you go to the Ubidays site, and read their poll question "Which aspect of the new Prince Of Persia are you most excited about?", 39% of the people voted for the story while 9% of the people voted for Elika. It shows that I'm not alone in that nobody likes her but then again, it shows that people for some reason like the story and that's shocking because Elika is the story or part of the story."

They probably added her to make the combat system more dynamic and interesting. Can't fault them for that.
    solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By solidphoenix

Getting saved by Elika is just a replacement for the "You are Dead" screen.
    Instead of getting the "Game Over" thing, instead they jump you back into the action.
    What's wrong with that? They did sort of the same thing in Prey, and Bioshock.
    It's just an animation or cinematic placed over the traditional death screen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.