Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 10, 2008

Professor Layton and the Curious Village is a point and click adventure puzzle game set in a charming village with enigmatic characters. Solve over 120 puzzles given to you by the villagers to help you solve the mystery of the 'Golden Apple'.

Professor, Professor...

Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By Mexalen
    Professor Layton and the curious village has finally been released around here. I guess that putting the game in 5 languages on the cardridge took them quite a while... Anyway, I picked it up on the first day and spent some quality time with the game. Here are some thoughts, while I am still puzzling around Saint Mystere:
    • I really like the presentation. That Miyazaki-like artstyle. The music, the story, all the characters you meet.
    • The story and the way it's told via videos and tons of dialogue etc keeps you comming for more. All the mysterys you discover in this crazy town, keep you on your toes. Awesome!
    • The 'side-quests' (painting, room, etc) are a nice treat. It's not like they take up much time, but it gives the game a certain depth.
    • Most of the puzzles are just great. Just sit there, think about it, read the instruction carefully and you got it.
    • But on the other hand there are quite a lot of puzzles I thought were rather awefull. The instructions were not clear, and made me just guess at least once, to get a push in the right direction.
    • What's the use of a hint-system if the hints don't tell you anything that helps to solve the riddle?!? Paying a coin to get a "you need to look very carefull." (or the like) just makes me angry. 
    • In the end the games leaves you with the possibilty to just guess as often as you want to. Sure it decreases how many points you get for the solution, but you'll get at least half the points possible. Once I couldn't figure out, what numbers to put in, and i just worked my way through all possibilities till I got it right. 
    • Some puzzles make me want to just save - get all the hints - try as often till it is solved and then reload ... because I feel it's not my fault that I wasn't able to solve it. And that just makes me feel sad about myself...

So yeah ... it's a great game, with a nice story and some brain-busting puzzles .. but it got quite some flaws that made me switch of the DS in anger more then once. Well, maybe I just don't like being told, that I am to dumb, to find the longest way through town or how to make arguing neighbours go to work without incident... ;)
    Mexalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Mexalen
    Professor Layton and the curious village has finally been released around here. I guess that putting the game in 5 languages on the cardridge took them quite a while... Anyway, I picked it up on the first day and spent some quality time with the game. Here are some thoughts, while I am still puzzling around Saint Mystere:
    • I really like the presentation. That Miyazaki-like artstyle. The music, the story, all the characters you meet.
    • The story and the way it's told via videos and tons of dialogue etc keeps you comming for more. All the mysterys you discover in this crazy town, keep you on your toes. Awesome!
    • The 'side-quests' (painting, room, etc) are a nice treat. It's not like they take up much time, but it gives the game a certain depth.
    • Most of the puzzles are just great. Just sit there, think about it, read the instruction carefully and you got it.
    • But on the other hand there are quite a lot of puzzles I thought were rather awefull. The instructions were not clear, and made me just guess at least once, to get a push in the right direction.
    • What's the use of a hint-system if the hints don't tell you anything that helps to solve the riddle?!? Paying a coin to get a "you need to look very carefull." (or the like) just makes me angry. 
    • In the end the games leaves you with the possibilty to just guess as often as you want to. Sure it decreases how many points you get for the solution, but you'll get at least half the points possible. Once I couldn't figure out, what numbers to put in, and i just worked my way through all possibilities till I got it right. 
    • Some puzzles make me want to just save - get all the hints - try as often till it is solved and then reload ... because I feel it's not my fault that I wasn't able to solve it. And that just makes me feel sad about myself...

So yeah ... it's a great game, with a nice story and some brain-busting puzzles .. but it got quite some flaws that made me switch of the DS in anger more then once. Well, maybe I just don't like being told, that I am to dumb, to find the longest way through town or how to make arguing neighbours go to work without incident... ;)
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Ya, it's a great series. I have played the second game via a friends import copy but I have yet to play the third yet.

The game as you know has hit Europe officially and is selling ridiculously well, when Capcom's previous games on DS have bombed here.

If you have any interest in Football, of the English kind, well we created it,  you should check out Inazuma, it's a awesome game which is equally charming.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Aye it's a great series. I have played the second game via a friends import copy but I have yet to play the third yet.

The game has just hit Europe officially and is selling ridiculously well, when Capcom's previous games on DS have bombed here.

If you have any interest in Football, of the English kind,  you should check out Inazuma, it's a awesome game.
    "
    Wait theres more than one?

did they ever come out past the Japanese territory? I would certainly dig more layton
    SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By SpinCookie
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Ya, it's a great series. I have played the second game via a friends import copy but I have yet to play the third yet.

The game as you know has hit Europe officially and is selling ridiculously well, when Capcom's previous games on DS have bombed here.

If you have any interest in Football, of the English kind, well we created it,  you should check out Inazuma, it's a awesome game which is equally charming.

"
    I can't wait for the other laytons to get localized, there are no other versions of them (i think) besides the japanese ones.  I also really want to play Inazuma Eleven, I love Level-5, but the reality of getting this localized is very dim.
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Stevokenevo
    Linkyshinks said:
    I didnt realise the game was selling so well until i saw this and though WTF!  Capatilist bastards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.