Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 12, 2010

The third installment in the Professor Layton series. A puzzle solving game that follows a unique storyline involving time travel.

My heart is about to explode... from excitement!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't know how I could have missed it! I heard that there was a Layton game announced at E3 2010, but I thought it was just this one. That game itself was a cause for excitement, but I was bummed that they announced the fifth game before the third and the fourth are even out. So today I was looking around and realized that the third game has already been announced for a September release date! September 20th to be exact. I'm super excited, maybe more excited for this game then anything else that was announced at E3. Hopefully this, as well as the fourth game will be released before Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles is released. If there was any game worth playing on the DS, and soon to be 3DS, then it's Layton. Here's some official stuff that was announced and the trailer:

Professor Layton and his apprentice, Luke, receive a confounding letter - from Luke 10 years in the future. But the message inside is even more troubling: London of the future is in disarray, and the only person who can help set things right is Professor Layton. 

Features:

• More than 165 new puzzles weave seamlessly into the storyline. Players will be challenged with fun, brain-teasing logic puzzles and riddles, and even new types of puzzles.
    • Players who are still stumped with a puzzle after three subtle hints can select the new "superhint" option to point them toward a solution.
    • As with previous incarnations of the franchise, weekly downloadable puzzles* will be available after launch for a limited time.

If you find a the remains of a LiquidPrince lying around Giantbomb, it's because I died from excitement!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

3DS Layton will be fucking magic. 

I'm playing Diabolical Box right now and loving every bit of it.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

I've never understood the appeal of these games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just collections of mini-puzzles, right?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Icemael said:
    " I've never understood the appeal of these games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just collections of mini-puzzles, right? "
    No. The thing that makes Professor Layton highly addicting is that it has an amazing story with incredible animations that put every puzzle into context. It's not just here, a brain teaser, you are this smart today, but dumber then yesterday. It all has a context and you get pushed forward trying to get to the exciting reveal of the mystery at the end. Plus look at that art style! No other game has cutscenes that are as beautiful or vivid as Professor Layton. I was actually shocked that they could fit full on cutscenes the way they did, and they aren't exactly short either. If you have a DS, and you haven't played this game, you've not played the best game on the DS in my opinion.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Icemael

A collection of brain teasers with accompanying cartoons it is still a collection of brain teasers. I can appreciate puzzle/adventure games like Zelda, Beneath a Steel Sky, Braid and Zack & Wiki, where the puzzles are seamlessly integrated into the gameworlds, but mere collections of puzzles... they just don't do anything for me.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Adamsons
    @Icemael said:
    " A collection of brain teasers with accompanying cartoons it is still a collection of brain teasers. I can appreciate puzzle/adventure games like Zelda, Beneath a Steel Sky, Braid and Zack & Wiki, where the puzzles are seamlessly integrated into the gameworlds, but mere collections of puzzles... they just don't do anything for me. "
    Beneath a Steel Sky!

Jeez, talk about retro.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne
    @Icemael said:
    " A collection of brain teasers with accompanying cartoons it is still a collection of brain teasers. I can appreciate puzzle/adventure games like Zelda, Beneath a Steel Sky, Braid and Zack & Wiki, where the puzzles are seamlessly integrated into the gameworlds, but mere collections of puzzles... they just don't do anything for me. "
    Shut up, play the games, wonder at the stupidity of that comment. :)
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zyn

I'm excited for this too.  I've completed the Diabolical Box and still need to buy Curious Village.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne: As I said, collections of brain teasers don't do anything for me, and if I wanted to watch an animated movie, I'd go watch an animated movie. The only thing I've seen of these games that even remotely interests me is the music.
    rathantoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By rathantoras

I really like the look of these games but i don't think that there are enough decent DS games to make me actually buy one.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Adamsons said:
    " @Icemael said:
    Beneath a Steel Sky!  Jeez, talk about retro. "
    BASS is awesome 8D

Definitely looking forward to this; Luke finally hits puberty :o
    unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By unclejohnny79

best ds games easily

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Cincaid

Can't Level5 just make a new Dark Cloud game instead? :(

(Seriously though, I love the Layton games too)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne
    @Icemael said:
    " @Meowayne: As I said, collections of brain teasers don't do anything for me, and if I wanted to watch an animated movie, I'd go watch an animated movie."
    And as I said, go try the game. It is unlike anything you have played before. It is not just a collection of "brain teasers" with a few videos inbetween. This game is carried by atmosphere, exploration and story as much as it is by the actual puzzle screens.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By galiant
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Meowayne: As I said, collections of brain teasers don't do anything for me, and if I wanted to watch an animated movie, I'd go watch an animated movie."
    And as I said, go try the game. It is unlike anything you have played before. It is not just a collection of "brain teasers" with a few videos inbetween. This game is carried by atmosphere, exploration and story as much as it is by the actual puzzle screens. "

This man speaks the truth! You're missing out =)
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:
    "And as I said, go try the game. It is unlike anything you have played before. It is not just a collection of "brain teasers" with a few videos inbetween. This game is carried by atmosphere, exploration and story as much as it is by the actual puzzle screens."
    @Icemael said:
    "...if I wanted to watch an animated movie, I'd go watch an animated movie."
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Icemael said:

" @Meowayne said:

"And as I said, go try the game. It is unlike anything you have played before. It is not just a collection of "brain teasers" with a few videos inbetween. This game is carried by atmosphere, exploration and story as much as it is by the actual puzzle screens."
    @Icemael said:
    "...if I wanted to watch an animated movie, I'd go watch an animated movie."
    "
    Now you're just being difficult on purpose. The game is as much a story based adventure game as it is a puzzle game. It's not just random puzzles; you have to explore chat with people, find things, and then solve puzzles. Just try it out if you have a DS.
    kovooraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kovooraj

aw man more Layton is never a bad thing!

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By shadows_kill

only played the first so far and love it.. im a lil scared what some puzzles will be like in 3d........

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By toowalrus

I'm definitely thinking about importing a 3DS from Japan so I can see it for myself... IF there is the standard 6-month gap between our territories releases... AND if Ocarina of Time is a launch title. I can't wait for this shit man, this E3 has gotten me hyped for more stuff than the past few years combined, I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.