By AhmadMetallic 37 Comments
I spent the last four E3-focused days watching BF3 live streams, reading/watching interviews, articles, keeping up with developer tweets, scouring the official BF3 forums, and hanging around a couple of BF3-enthusiast chatrooms.
I gathered all the info i could gather about the important part of Battlefield 3 - the multiplayer.
P.S. Keep in mind that this is Battlefield, not ArmA or Red Orchestra or Operation Flashpoint. Realism has little to do with Battlefield. It's more fun-based, and balance is the highest priority
1st Stop - E3 EventThe event itself was very, very dry and uninformative. We got nothing out of EA/DICE other than a 49 second multiplayer teaser, and a long 8-minute singleplayer Tank demo on the map/mission "Thunder Run"
Watch these if you missed them, or in order to jog your memory. and then we'll continue:
HD Multiplayer Teaser:
1080p torrent download
HD Stage Demo "Thunder Run":
1080p torrent download
We're better off not seeing any of that unsatisfactory bullshit, right? Right!
However, being the desperate long-time fans that we are, and enduring EA's months of continued teasing and foreplay that killed our boners before she took her shoes off (EA), We had to watch that footage a million times over and try to get all the info we could out of it.
Let's start with the boring tank ride, to get it out of the way:
- Bla bla bla about the dynamic lighting, the divine new Frostbite 2 game engine, the smooth grafix, and all that crap we've been fed for four months. If you haven't been keeping up with the news, that's not my goddamn problem!
- The tank setup seems much more satisfying for the player from past BF games, both control-wise and feature wise :
- You can zoom in/zoom out in the tank view, turn on thermal vision, shoot both shells and a machine gun.
- The tank has it's own built-in console that controls a laser-designating aerial vehicle of some sorts. Will that be used in multiplayer? We don't know yet, but DICE seem very fond of the player-deployed artillery and UAV, so that could be one of the new ways to deploy UAV in-game.
- The shooting precision is looking a lot tighter than previous BF games, with shells hitting their target and not being too hindered by bullet drop mechanics. Also, the tank driving seems a lot more responsive, whereas driving a tank in a Battlefield game is usually a bitch, because they're too slow and heavy to control.
- When a tank takes a hit, the tank vision/view gets distorted in a black&white color, rather than just showing the red hit detector [It also has a limited health regeneration]. Will that be added to the multiplayer in some way? We don't know, but a new "vehicle-disablement" feature has been added to the multiplayer, which basically means that when you keep GUSTAVing a tank and it gets badly damaged, it doesn't immediately explode, allowing the passengers to get out and flee/fight back before the vehicle explodes.
Ok enough of that video, let's get down to some multiplayer business :
A) PixelEnemy's frame-by-frame analysis of the multiplayer teaser (in collaboration with the Don't Revive Me Bro staff):
PixelEnemy are one of my favorite amateur gaming journalists on the internet. They're very enthusiastic about Battlefield 3, and their constantly uploaded BF videos are always pleasant to watch.
Here's a re-cap of what was mentioned in the video, but i'm not gonna list every little detail, so if you're interested enough you should watch it!
P.S. Some things they mention were confirmed later on, so i will add "Confirmed" to those items.
- Weapons spotted-
- SVD sniper
- Beretta M9 pistol
- MP443 pistol
- Pechenag (PKM type of weapon)
- M67 Frag Grenade
- Combat Scope (a certain type of ACOG)
- Flashlight attachment [Confirmed]
- Maximum number of players in a squad: 4 [Confirmed]
- Squad Leader makes a comeback - has a star by his name [Confirmed]
- Classic Rush Mode is back [Confirmed]
- Health bar is back, in the form of a "100%" bar [Confirmed] + Light health regeneration
- On-screen compass
- A certain type of missiles can be launched (Possible return of the Anti-Air vehicle)
- LAV-26 APC [Confirmed] - Details:
- 6 Seats
- Shell cannon
- 50. Caliber M2 machine gun
- 100% tank health bar
- Tank view magnification indicator (1x, 2x, etc..)
- Powerful recoil on the guns [Confirmed]
- 3D spotting is returning [Confirmed]
- Alot of flashing and myst caused by the bullets
- New/Updated kinds of XP points:
- Enemy Down (you killed an enemy) - 100 points
- Double Kill - 200 points
- Kill Assists - 50 points
- Suppression bonus - 50 points
- Avenger bonus - 10 points
- "Comeback" XP (when you get a kill after several deaths in a row) - 40 points
- MCOM Attacker Kill [???]
- On-screen Base indicator
- MOH-like Objective updates/notification on-screen
- ANT animation capable of mixing several simultaneous animations in a dynamic way
- When you aim down your gun scope you can still see the sides of your gun
- Huge explosions caused by Mortar Strikes or Artillery or UAV
- Scripted events after every MCOM wave gets demolished
- multi-level mini-map (when you go into a new area, a specific mini-map of that area/section is viewed on-screen)
- Everytime you stealth knife/get stealth knifed, there's a quick animation [Confirmed]
- The killfeed says "Knife" when someone gets knifed.
- Chokepoints might be a problem
- Dynamic light sources - You can camp in a room (for instance) and take out the lights to stay in the shadows [Confirmed]. Could be a great gameplay tactic going along with the use of night vision goggles
- MCOMs are attached to things, like vans for example [unconfirmed]
- Falling debris can kill you. Not confirmed if it can damage vehicles.
B) GamerSpawn's 10-minute comprehensive analysis of the multiplayer teaser:
GamerSpawn is DeltaGamer.com's youtube channel. They pump out high-quality editing videos which show new footage and discuss new information in a very professional manner and in the voice of the coolest fucking video game narrator on the web!
A list of the stuff they mentioned:
- Weapons spotted- (Look Above)
- Tactical Reload: When you have a bullet in the gun chamber and you reload, you keep the chamber bullet and gain the 30 rounds of the magazine, hence the "31" bullet indicator (as opposed to having to lose the chamber bullet to have 30 bullets max)
- Multiple firing modes selection makes a comeback from Battlefield 2
- When you headshot-kill someone, a crosshair icon appears by their name in the top left corner KillFeed
- After fan/expert feedback on the view through the ACOG scope from the Fault Line series of trailers, DICE corrected it by moving the view somewhat closer to the player
- When looking through your ACOG scope, the entire player view zooms in, not just the view from inside the scope (since that's the way it should be, because of the scope magnification). But hey, screw realism for all i care, we want balance and polish
- The Russian players are all wearing NBC suits. Does that mean BF3 has Chemical Warfare?
- The US uniform has Desert Marpat Camouflage. But Paris is no-where near any desert, so... ??
2nd Stop - BF3 Multiplayer Demo at the EA Showfloor Booth:
In the last couple of days we were able to watch a few live streams, including a 3.5 hour live stream from inside the BF3 room in the EA booth, which showed us some multiplayer footage in real time, in addition to some other videos taken from the same room.
Live Stream Archive:Part 1
Here's a good 7-minute video taken from that long ass live stream: (thanks to Seppli for this video)
10-minute video taken from the same live stream:
Another 5-minute video from the booth:
All the info we could get from these videos:
- Equippable grenade (no more quick tossing)
- Two types of knife: Quick knife (button tap) + Equppable knife (like a weapon)
- Rifleman (or Combat Medic): Assault & Medic put in one (main weapon = assault rifles). You can either choose meds/defibs (medic) or replace them with a grenade launcher (assault)
- Support: main weapon = heavy machine guns, your job is to lay suppressing fire and give your teammates ammo
- Engineer: main weapon = SMGs, your job is to disable vehicles with your rocket launcher and to repair friendly vehicles
- Recon (or Sniper): main weapon = sniper rifles, your job is to snipe / blow shit up with C4. Motion balls are gone, and the ghillie outfit has been replaced with a jihadist-looking outfit with a bandana
- You can opt-out of being revived. If do so, the revive symbol above your body will disappear (in order not to confuse medics)
- Medpacks and Ammopacks are fucking huge. they're like mini fridges
- No pre-recorded voice communication tool whatsoever.. We need a god damned Command Wheel to thank each other and say important things to enhance communication and teamplay!
- Support class can go prone, deploy bipods and suppress enemies efficiently.
- When you get suppressed, your screen goes a little dim/blurry, shakes violently and you're unable to aim very well (called "The stress effect")
- Whenever you jump/vault over an obstacle, there's a quick animation showing your feet
- Invisible Walls (You heard me.. unless they fix it)
- Customizable dog-tags [Confirmed]
- No Kill-Cam: When you die, you lay on your side and see the name and dogtags of your killer, until you get revived or respawn
- Real military ranks are back, along with real military ribbons and pins (replacing the silly golden stars from BC2)
- Going into prone has been taxed - it takes a moment and feels quite heavy. Prone too much and you'll get killed doing it (you won't be as quick)
3rd Stop - Hands-On information:
The only mention-worthy hands-on article/video i came across are these :
A) DRMB Hands-On Recap:
B) 36-minute video of a Hands-On Recap by the PixelEnemy/DRMB guys:
- Weapons spotted -
- SMAW rocket launcher
- The foundations of the buildings don't seem to be easily destructible, so the destruction is more focused on the walls themselves
- You get 100 points for disabling/immobalizing a vehicle (about this feature, read above)
- Sway has been added to sniper rifles. Snipers now have to "hold their breath" in order to focus their aim
- The SVD sniper rifle is a 3-shot kill
- The suicide screen now says something along the lines of "You committed suicide" ("Epic Fail" screen is gone)
- Knife information :
- When you tap the auto-knife button [as opposed to equipping the knife as a weapon], the knife doesn't stick in your opponent's body, it just swipes/slashes them
- It takes two swipes to knife kill an enemy (auto-knife)
- You can only get a knifed opponent's dogtags by "stealth knifing them", which means knifing them from behind while undetected
- Prone position is very smooth, even when strafing, but when you prone as Support and deploy your bipods, the field of vision is limited (90 degrees)
- The game seems to make the non-support classes more dependent on the support class for ammo. Going Rambo seems to be hindered by the amount of ammo a player has
- The reload system is the same as BC2, if you have 10 bullets in your mag and you reload, you don't lose the 10 bullets (No need to reserve ammo and reload carefully. It's like your gun is picking up the bullets from a pool)
- The new suppression feature (The Stress Effect) seems like a good way to discourage camping, since you can't camp and poke your head out to shoot. If you get suppressed while camping in a corner, you're pretty much no longer able to fire back properly.
- Apparently, after you revive somebody, they go into some sort of "last stand" mode where they choose to get up or die and respawn
- The MCOM arming/disarming button and the kit-picking button have been separated. No longer will you pick up random kits left and right while arming/disarming an MCOM
- Apparently, MCOMs can only be armed/disarmed from one side
- 3D spotting:
- Very responsive 3D spotting
- There's a chance that when you spot a squad leader, his entire squad gets spotted
- There doesn't seem to be a significant cooldown yet
- Flashlight can be turned on/off
- It takes several bullets to shoot out a light
- Flashlight might be exclusive to the engineer class
- "L" to turn flashlight on/off
- Single shot, burst fire and fully automatic firing modes
- "V" to switch fire modes
- 3 gun add-ons to the main weapons: barrel, ammo and optics
- Snipers can unlock the bipod
- There should be an animation for entering/exiting vehicles which will stop vehicles from becoming a safe fortress that you teleport into
More Hands-On details from our Giant Bomb user 137 :
- The knife is faster and more efficient
- basic weapon keys:
- 1 is rifle
- 2 is pistol
- 3 and you throw out a medicpack/ammopack instead of equipping a box and pressing fire to throw them out. it switches you back to your last equipped weapon.
- 4 defibs / ???
- F is knife melee
- G is for grenades (which used to be for grabbing someone elses kit if I remember correctly)
- Shift to sprint
- Ctrl to crouch
- Z to fall to prone
- When you get revived you get an option to accept the revive by pressing space bar (while in this "last stand" state you are revived with your pistol out in a prone like position) When you accept the revive you get back on your feet and have to press 1 to equip your primary weapon otherwise you're still rocking the pistol.
4th Stop - Official Information:
This is the last (but not least) section.
Here i'm including all the info gathered from DICE interviews, staff tweets, staff forum posts, live Q&A's, and even some answers from community manager Daniel "Zh1nt0" Matros on a live chatroom that i witnessed myself.
This latest interview with Patrick Bach gave us a couple of valuable answers:
- Consoles will not have a server browser
- PC requirements will not be anything beastly or Crysis-like
- About the commo rose - "I’m not exactly sure how we’ll be doing the command rose. " Which means it's not entirely out :D
- Thousands of weapon customizations
- No day and night cycles in MP, instead we'll have day and night maps.
- There will be no enter/exit vehicle animations in MP (Zh1nt0 statement in BFO chatroom)
- No Hybrid scopes. They want the player to make the choice between CQB and range (Demize99 tweet)
- No respawn immunity, and a reduced spawn time if you get instakilled on revive, since you already went down once.(Demize99 tweet)
- The HUD is still being enhanced (Demize99 tweet)
- The Squad Leader is the person who created the squad. He stays until he leaves (Demize99 tweet & tweet)
I went through the rest of the sources and they don't offer anything new.. So that's all we get out of DICE this E3.