I think people were hoping that either Blizzard would do one or more of the following:
- Announce continuing support for Diablo 3 in a meaningful way
- Announce port(s) or remake(s) of Diablo 1 / 2
- Announce something hopeful about Diablo 4
What we ended up getting was none of the above.
- The Diablo 1 time limited gimmick dungeon is nothing. The Necro class (with no new content) coming in late 2017 (at best...) is nothing. Diablo 3 is dead.
- All hope of D1/2 ports or remakes is dead
- Diablo 4 is nowhere in sight (the unborn count as dead)
TL:DR - Diablo is a dead series