This game does everything I've ever wanted from an action RPG:
- No quests and lengthy uninspired dialog trees. Atmosphere > story.
- Simple combat that actually requires skill - make no mistakes about the heavy combat animations: it's NOT bad design, is not lazy, but is cleverly thought out and provides some of the most exciting combat I have ever played.
- Damage is high both for you and your enemies, so combat never drags out, but is quick and dirty.
- No generic enemies. All the different enemies pose a unique threat.
- Fine tuned level design, no generic semi-random boring landscapes. Every corner you turn is new and exciting.
- An online implementation where other players don't pull me out of the atmosphere with their endless complaints, dirty talk, and LOL's, and what not. Instead, here they seem a natural part of the game world and fiction.
In short.. I honestly think that most RPGs will be immensely boring after Dark Souls.
It truly says something that a game with a horrible framerate and lack of polish in its graphical presentation as well as its sound effects, still ends up being the best gaming experience I have had all year. No other RPG, or game in any genre for that matter, have had me this completely absorbed into its world.
Dark souls has soul. It's fresh, original, creative, and it's clearly done by people who do not care how other companies make their games. Love it.