Something went wrong. Try again later
Giant Bomb is under new ownership. Log in now to accept new terms and conditions and transfer your account to the new owner!

skelington_

This user has not updated recently.

294 0 0 2
Forum Posts Wiki Points Following Followers

skelington_'s forum posts

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skelington_

@MikkaQ said:

Thank god, games like this aren't nearly as common anymore. Reminds me of some of the more balls-out crazy PS1 and 2 games from Japan.

Incredible Crisis Championship Edition DX.

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By skelington_

None of the above. Working through Dark Souls and about to team it up with Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Complete Edition, which i got via the PSN sale, at the moment. Pardon me for perhaps interpreting the industry's reaction to it wrongly (and for the backwards analogy), but Sleeping Dogs strikes me as a game riding the crest of a summer-lull wave; it's as if gamers are latching on to the underdog (again, sorry... for the unintentional pun this time), at a time when there simply isn't much else 'new' to play and get hyped up for. Kudos to the publishers for finding it an open release window, and perhaps shifting more units as a result. From what i've played, i don't think it will be that fondly remembered a few months down the line once the biggest Q3-Q4 releases come and go - even with the enhanced publicity. If Sleeping Dogs turns out to be nothing more than flavour of the month and doesn't eventually win me round, i'll wait for GTA. Darksiders II isn't my thing, and i don't own a 3DS. Reasoning offered, + emphasis!

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By skelington_

@Alex: Keep us up to date about this story, if you can - i'd be quite interested to see how it develops.

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By skelington_

@Dagbiker said:

@skelington_: They totally did do a Dwarf Fort part 2 last friday.

I'm aware of this - it was just make the point about the lack of punctuality. Thanks for pointing it out anyway though :)

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By skelington_

@burnttoast said:

@thornie said:

@Humanity said:

The arguments for these sort of threads never get any less real and the response of "wasn't there a thread like this just a month ago?" doesn't actually resolve anything.

Yah there was a thread like this a month ago, and no there still isn't any more content than last month. They're not settling in anymore. They have all their equipment. Quick Looks don't take a long time to do, I've done video editing and I'm no pro so it's impossible it takes Vinny that long to slap intro/outro bumpers on unedited footage. For whatever reason people thought that the lack of a studio was stopping them from getting more Quick Looks and original videos done - now they have a gigantic space for themselves. Brad complains about how theres nothing to play and nothing to do - quickly followed by saying he doesn't have time to get into a game. That Never Dead copy has been sitting on his desk for over a week now. It's an AWFUL game, whatever, just record yourself playing it thats all people want. They said they are not planning to do an Endurance Run any time soon when it's basically just doing 1 Quick Look a day. Theres no games out right now so why not, what else are they doing? Oh right, Brad goes to a lot of meetings, a lot and lot of meetings.

Listen I get it's the Giant Bomb and Jeff and crew don't give a fuck. Don't like it don't watch it. The crew doesn't feel like doing an Endurance Run so fuck everyone it's not happening, despite an obvious drought in gaming where this one piece of content produced daily would keep people super satisfied. But that sort of attitude seems strangely out of place when you're asking your fanbase to pay a yearly subscription for things like listening to Dave talk about vague details of the future site redesign or the Flight Club Quick Looks. Some other sites have paid memberships that only affect ads but I think Giant Bomb is the only website that I personally know, about video games, where you have to pay to see certain footage. I hate to dredge up this conversation but people paid because they saw GB starting up in a tiny murky basement and they were doing wacky, fun stuff and were all pro-members. People just want more of that crazy fun stuff. Why is I Love Mondays just a flipcam recording now? I just don't understand some of these changes and they never go on record saying "hey we're not doing XYZ because XYZ."

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Agree with this and agree with a prior statement that only Vinny/Drew/Dave seem to have much enthusiasm anymore.

I would argue that why I, and a lot of the community, paid for giant bomb is that when we paid there was a lot of very funny, very creative, very original content. I would never pay for a no-ads on a straitlaced review or video game news site. Giant Bomb was something wholly different.

By no means do I think it was a bad idea to pay (its not that much), but will I renew? That is much harder this time. Giant Bomb seems to have transitioned or is transitioning into a more traditional video games site. It doesn't seem that the culture that came up with TNT/Endurance Runs/Breaking Brad/or the current form of the quick look is in full effect. I don't think new unique features like that are going to come up anytime soon and it will just be the grudging continuation of those existing features (note that I consider flight club/dave fortress as awesome but they aren't really any new feature, just the great technical game Vinny/Dave/Drew feature).

The one way Giant Bomb has added content in the last year is by adding more news stories/coverage/trailers. That content is pretty worthless on the internet and tangential to why I am on Giant Bomb. I think GB would benefit from a refocus on making funny videos and just drop everything else.

Begrudgingly agreeing with all this (apologies for the big copy-paste), bar the slightly extreme "drop everything else". To make a sweeping statement, i think premium members are backing an echo at the moment - the predictability and lack of personality Giant Bomb has been seeing lately certainly aligns towards a more 'traditional' (read: professional) model, and perhaps longtime users (of which there would appear to be many) are banking on the crew re-finding that spontaneous "you're hanging out with your friends playing video games on a friday night" tone the site's content used to be saturated in. 'Traditional' doesn't necessarily mean 'boring', but Giant Bomb's core philosophy of video games coverage was (is?) so refreshing that the transition seems more apparent than elsewhere. I kind of miss the days when i would get back from university with a cheese salad from the shop, and rather than put on the TV, go to Giant Bomb, put my feet up and know that i could rely on being able to watch the next installment of Jeff playing the hell out of Star Trek Online... whereas last week, maybe we were going to have a Dwarf Fortress Part 2? It was a 'maybe' and then sadly, Friday went by and it didn't happen. I think @burnttoast is on the right lines; the 'culture' (and perhaps punctuality) has dissipated - i can only hope it's reigned in. I know websites like Rooster Teeth are targeting comedy videos and not journalism, but Giant Bomb has Jeff Gerstman, and that guy is incredibly funny - the site's humourous potential and lightheartedness used to be a main attraction, and the team used to play towards that strength, but now that tone seems more background-orientated. And i've got to agree - as essential as trailers, news and coverage supposedly are to a video games website, they are in actuality largely redundant and interchangeable with all other video games websites. That's not really 'content' in the user's eye per se.

(Funny: i.e. Jeff fucking around with that Russian Ham Radio beeping sound in the Bombcast a few weeks back. Hell yes i was laughing).

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By skelington_

@bingbangboom said:

I think this gives us a better idea that a new "Xbox" console won't be coming till at least 2014. This game is scheduled to debut on the Xbox 360 in 2013. It could be a year where there maybe a overlap with a new console coming out but one would think Bungie would want to work and concentrate on the new hardware.

This is pretty much what i was thinking. Perhaps it's worth bearing in mind that the contract dates back to April 2010, so there's a possibility things have shifted around since then (as Klepek stated), but it basically sets up a vague "2014" release window for new consoles in my mind, which near enough aligns to the whole 10-year console lifespan philosophy touted a few years ago.

This paragraph sticks in my mind:

"Per the agreement, Destiny would be an Xbox 360 exclusive released in fall 2013, with a sequels arriving on new hardware platforms from Microsoft, Sony, and a version on PC. It specified four games, with sequels coming every other year."

Could the next-gen 'sequel' to the 360 exclusive be a launch-window game? If Bungie's next project is that big a deal to Sony et al., could we theoretically see a new console being released in 2015 rather than the year before? Hypotheticals, of course, and that does seem rather extreme, so alternatively, is it perceivable that Bungie could move their goalposts capitalize on the arrival of a new hardware platform(s)?

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By skelington_

It took me thislong to realise the title of this thread is misspelled. Wow. Way to go, brain.

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By skelington_

@louiedog said:

@skelington_ said:

@louiedog said:

@skelington_ said:

Some of the replies to this are amazing.

Photoshopped. Really? Internet-fueled, photographic hypochondria. Really fascinating phenomena. Even more strange is the fatally misinformed minority that believe you can't go on holiday to North Korea! Why? Do you think you're going to be jailed for being American? Hahaha, i just had to laugh.

Nobody thought they'd be jailed for being American, but that they'd be denied a travel visa, because that's how it was until recently.

"Citizens of South Korea are normally not permitted to visit North Korea. In addition, there have been reports of difficulties regarding Israeli, American, British, and Japanese nationals. In January 2010, North Korea lifted the restrictions on American citizens who are now free to visit at anytime of the year - but they are not allowed to travel by train (especially the train to Beijing) and to participate at homestay-programs."

Don't forget your quote marks.

You don't have anything to contribute to this thread, do you? I don't know what kind of day you've had, but I hope it gets better.

I'm pretty stressed out actually, so thanks, i hope it does to. I didn't know that restriction existed prior to 2010, so it was interesting to learn.

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By skelington_

@louiedog said:

@skelington_ said:

Some of the replies to this are amazing.

Photoshopped. Really? Internet-fueled, photographic hypochondria. Really fascinating phenomena. Even more strange is the fatally misinformed minority that believe you can't go on holiday to North Korea! Why? Do you think you're going to be jailed for being American? Hahaha, i just had to laugh.

Nobody thought they'd be jailed for being American, but that they'd be denied a travel visa, because that's how it was until recently.

"Citizens of South Korea are normally not permitted to visit North Korea. In addition, there have been reports of difficulties regarding Israeli, American, British, and Japanese nationals. In January 2010, North Korea lifted the restrictions on American citizens who are now free to visit at anytime of the year - but they are not allowed to travel by train (especially the train to Beijing) and to participate at homestay-programs."

Don't forget your quote marks.

Avatar image for skelington_
skelington_

294

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

2

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By skelington_

Some of the replies to this are amazing.

Photoshopped. Really? Internet-fueled, photographic hypochondria. Really fascinating phenomena. Even more strange is the fatally misinformed minority that believe you can't go on holiday to North Korea! Why? Do you think you're going to be jailed for being American? Hahaha, i just had to laugh.