By takua108 9 Comments
So I'm playing through Persona 3 FES again, hopefully to completion this time, and, while playing it, I got a hankerin' for some Endurance Run. So I'm watching it, again, and I'm now almost done with it (Episode 136 at the time of writing).
While playing Persona 3 FES and watching the ER of Persona 4, I decided I'd try making a Persona-like game engine thing, just for the hell of it. I tried this once in the past, in XNA (so as to make a PC/360 game), but I failed miserably, as I didn't really have a handle on XNA yet. ...I'll try to find images of this later, as the code is on my other computer, but basically it was pretty bad, and only featured 3D boxes talking to each other.
So this time, I thought "why not just do the traditional thing that programmers do when they're making a solo indie project and are terrible at making art and sound and music and so forth, and just make it a roguelike?"
After a couple weeks of working on the project instead of doing homework, I have:
- NPCs with scripted dialog sequences
- important text
- social linking (!)
- dungeon exploration (with a little work on dungeon generation, also)
I'll go more in-depth once (if?) I ever make more progress, but here's some screenshots of what I have so far:
You can download a demo (PC only) here. Please note:
- You must extract everything for it to work
- Arrow keys or numpad to move, spacebar to interact with the girl, ESC to bring up the pause menu
- Stairs and chests do nothing
- You can keep S-Ranking with the girl until she reaches Max rank
- The icon is a green "Z" because I based this game off of my zombie-based roguelike, Z-Day, and I'm too lazy to make a new one just yet
- You can mess with the map, script, and character files, but expect crashes
- "Resume" and "Settings" on the main menu don't do anything, neither does anything on the pause menu except for "Resume" and "Quit"
- No combat or day-changing or anything cool like that yet
So yeah, I don't really expect this project to go anywhere much, but it sure is fun to make. Hope have at least thirty seconds of amusement with it!