TFP's Top 10 games of 2019
Really that's about the only thing I can say about 2019 at large. Just once I'd like to intro these game of the year lists with a happy outlook at the year that was, but given the authoritarian hellscape humanity seems to find itself hurtling towards, it's difficult to look back at the year that was with a particular fondness.
That's not to say there was no positive world outcomes this year. After all, to slightly alter a quote from US Representative Rashida Tlaib: that motherfucker got impeached. The first real image of a black hole was published, which is pretty awesome. And of course, video games keep being pretty rad. So with the preamble out of the way, let's tackle a couple runners up before we move onto the list proper.
- Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is a really fun additional campaign added on to Monster Hunter World, already the best Monster Hunter game. I just wish they'd figure out more interesting ways to add on to the ultra-late game grind instead of just "these monsters will kill you in like 3 hits."
- Normally I find games with this particular sense of humor to be not really my type, but Pikuniku is so charming I can't help but love it.
- Tetris 99 is the best battle royale.
- FMV games came back in a really big way this year with some really outstanding gems, like Erica and Telling Lies. I couldn't be happier about that.
- Blood & Truth is the best VR game of the year. I'd say check out my review but Giant Bomb seems to have eaten it. Weird.
- Pokemon Sword and Shield turned out alright.
- And finally, games that I either enjoyed but didn't make the list, or enjoyed what I played but didn't play enough to potentially impact the list include the above, and: Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown, Hypnospace Outlaw, Baba is You, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Indivisible, and Metal Wolf Chaos XD,